Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 bus towing 1960 Westfalia caravan
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: 1965 bus towing 1960 Westfalia caravan Reply with quote

Hello,

I need help getting some informations about the towing capacity of the bus and weight of the trailer. I have a 1965 bus with lots of accessories running on stock transmission, stock 1641 engine, and stock brakes. The trailer is 1960 Westfalia caravan. I do not know the specs of the trailer and am trying to find the weight of the trailer. I did test drive the bus with the trailer and it appears to be OK towing the trailer. I am more concern about the long drive and stress on the engine and transmission. The trailer does have surge brakes for stopping. I hope you can help me get some information and I do remember seeing a green and white Westfalia towing a Westfalia trailer larger than mine. I wish to contact the person who owns a larger trailer. My mechanic tells me that the trailer is too big for my bus and can cause damage to the transmission and engine. Any advise?????

<image lost>

Thanks,

Sal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Get rid of the front tire! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA! I have so many bad ass accessories on the bus and am running out of space. I had to put an original orange and white Westfalia tent behind the seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a 2500lb+ boat and trailer with my '69 truck. I have no hitch on the '63 so I don't tow with that, but it would do just as well.
Pulling isn't the problem, it's braking. If your trailer has brakes you are probably okay. If you have no trailer brakes (like me) you should be concerned about freeway speeds and downhill grades. Take this seriously, a bus is a pretty lightweight vehicle.
I do think I am trashing the clutch pulling up the boat ramp, you may not have this problem with the trailer on solid ground, but I would recommend paying attention to this anyway.
I don't think the tranny and engine are the least bit stressed, stock gearing is suitably low, it is the suspension that is taking the hit. If your trailer has much tongue weight you might look into an adjustable hitch so you can get the tongue weight down to 250lbs or so, that's my opinion.
I think you can do it, I'd try.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1641 is not stock, I would want a good engine producing 100hp to pull that think safely, going up a freeway grade at 25mph is not safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SWSmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

I have a 1967 SO-42 and also a 1959 Westfalia caravan, that I plan to tow using the 1600cc engine that I have - with stock drum brakes.

I'll probably upgrade the brakes at some point, but will see how things go.

We have the same caravan, and the weight of it is 780kg - there should be a plate on the chassis at the front with the details on.

You should be fine with what you have as long as the brakes work (as one of the other guys has mentioned!!).

There is also a Westfalia registry ove in Holland that is keeping a record of all Westfalia caravans on the road at the moment - they are up to about 65 at the moment!!

It would be good if your details could be added to this list. you can send them to Rolf te Kam on the website www.westfalia-register.org (I think) or I can forward them to him. my e-mail address is [email protected]

The guy with the green and white van and caravan has been running a 1776cc engine (I think that is what he told me!) with IRS.

Good luck.

Stuart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. My Westfalia is a beauty and I will do what I can to modify the bus to be able to tow the trailer. I took photos of the tag on the trailer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
(alt+p)
This tag is mounted on the chassis and I do understand the year 1960, vin number and I need clarification on 1000 KG. Is 1000 KG the weight of the trailer?
(alt+p)
This tag is mounted on the (what do you call it?) a receiver? It shows 1000 KG and 50 KG. I do not understand German.

Thanks SWSmith for the links. I will send you an email, I would like to contact Rolf but his website is in German. Seems like your 1959 Westfalia caravan is smaller than mine. Does your trailer have original tent?
SWSmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal,

It would be good if you could send me some photo's (internal and external) as I'd love to make comparisons with my one. It does look the same size from the photo, but the weight is definitely different.

I am not sure if we have the original awning, it is the correct size and shape, but it is red and green stripes. At this stage I am assuming that it is the original poles with a replacement awning - but only time will tell.

Rolf does write good English and it is easy to communicate with him in writing (I haven't spoken to him yet!!).

If you can e-mail me some photo's to [email protected] I will happily forward them on your behalf.

Look forward to seeing how it looks.

Stuart
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrvwaccessory wrote:
(alt+p)
This tag is mounted on the (what do you call it?) a receiver? It shows 1000 KG and 50 KG. I do not understand German.

tongue load 50kg
trailer weight 1000kg
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run all 4 disc and hook up the trailer brakes.

check out my classified ads, lots of rare parts/accessories for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo Sal- killer rig!

Id suggest you to add front disc brakes... and have transaxle built to handle that load, keep gearing intact maybe 4.12 for overall range. (super diff, weld some gears and beef it up a bit). Dont forget 6 ply tires it makes all the difference if you have good traction.

-Maybe look into 60's rare European trailer brake kit? I bet there's NOS kit somewhere out there and before I could say "NOS" Sal probably snatched it up.... Rolling Eyes

One more thing. Pls make that a 1776 too. 1641 will be fine but you will suck it uphills and truckers blazing by.... so a 1776cc plus good head combo (not high performance but heavy duty low comp) and dual carb set up go for it... You gonna slap on that damn nos dellorto kit that you got from Kelly park huh ! Shocked Wink

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dillon schuh wrote:
1 Get rid of the front tire! Crying or Very sad

...and the sunvisor and the double bumper guard arrangement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am going to upgrade my bus, do a 1776 with dual carbs, get front disc brakes from Greg Banfill since he is waiting for shipment from Germany. I am looking into an IRS transmission. My bus is loaded with weights due to accessories. (I am known for accessory whore so I will leave what's on my bus whether you like it or not HA!) The trailer already has working surge brake which I had it done two weeks ago. The tires are 6 ply trailer tires. By the way I sold the Dellorto Carbs and will go for a bigger Carbs. I have an expert mechanic who will build a strong torque engine. I am gathering informations about the trailer and learning more about how rare the Westfalia caravan is. Not many left!

By the way, thanks for your advises, criticism about my bus, and informations.

Sal
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrvwaccessory wrote:
I am known for accessory whore so I will leave what's on my bus whether you like it or not HA!

You go, Sal!!! Razz
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're asking this guy to get rid of accessories??

Probably not going to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Listed weight Reply with quote

I have a '75 Puck that states on the plate 500kg. An Eriba forum says that is the MAXimum weight. Empty is about 390kg. Yours might be the same.
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine shows 1000 KG on the plate and it means 2200 pounds. I used to own Eriba familia weighting at about 1600 pounds towing behind 1970 Westfalia bus. The bus did well with stock 1700 cc, IRS transmission, and drum brakes. Eriba makes aluminum body with foam and thin vynil interior. Westfalia makes thin metal body with foam and wood veener interior. This is why it weights more. I currently own 1964 Eriba puck that weights 440 KG meaning 968 pounds. I have added another 300 pounds in the trailer. I am going to test drive the bus with puck to a VW show on October 13th. Will see how my bus performs towing 1300 pounds.
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: 440kg Eriba Reply with quote

Is the 440kg the empty or maximum weight?
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, I only can understand 440 KG. I do not understand German language. I assume it would be the dry weight.
infantibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sweet rig man AWESOME. And i would be more concerned about stopping too. Maybe a BAD brakes kit??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: