Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Nice!, as usual a well tuned Espar (Eberspacher) rocks!, too bad all subcontractors and suppliers for VW and other makes couldn't be on thier game like those guys were.

But someone once again recently told me those things are "dangerous bombs and should be disconnected", aren't you scared? Wink

I have rebuilt and sold several of these and the BA4s and the BN4s and worked on some for people. I don't know where the stigma got started that they are dangerous. Fuel will not flow past the pump when it is not on and there are so many safety features that they are probably about 10 times more safe than my fuel injected engine. The only way I can see them being dangerous is if somebody rewired them and bypassed the safety features, but I have never seen one like that.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
WaterDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wantedabiggergarage wrote:
chicagovw wrote:
That's for sure. I got the original BA6 in my 78 bus working. It's used daily in my plumbing service and good heat is a must! Our other buses (73 and 74) use modern Webasto units and my bug has an Espar.

Any pictures of the bug and Espar unit (and which unit)? Thanks

I am trying to figure out how to get working heat, for early spring and late fall, and am doing costs comparisons, since I seem to be missing a lot of the rear heating components, and have to question the cables.

Boy I need one of these.

My bus doesn't have one and I see you have all of them.

Which do you like best?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all work extremely well. I like the BA6 best out of experiencing them all because it is integrated into the existing heater ducts. This means your heat comes out of the stock locations so you can use it for defrost quite readily. In snowy weather you can go out and set the timer and it will preheat the bus and make all the ice and snow fall off. All the gas heaters will warm the bus up nicely though.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
WaterDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
They all work extremely well. I like the BA6 best out of experiencing them all because it is integrated into the existing heater ducts. This means your heat comes out of the stock locations so you can use it for defrost quite readily. In snowy weather you can go out and set the timer and it will preheat the bus and make all the ice and snow fall off. All the gas heaters will warm the bus up nicely though.

Thanks,

Now to find a BA6
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking ill be doing my install soon....like as soon as i can back the squareback out, ill be pulling in the bus for a BA6 and some LSD. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking ill be doing my install soon....like as soon as i can back the squareback out, ill be pulling in the bus for a BA6 and some LSD. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowly cleaning up a BN6 heater to install but it looks like spring when I'll do it. The LSD is awesome inthe snow!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody needs help on installing or working on your heater please post up here and I will try to help with pics of my install or other advice on getting them to run.

I worked on a friend's BN4 in his Thing today (yeah I know Christmas eve, I can't ever get away from working on VWs it seems). Some idiot long ago bypassed the safety switch and finished off their wiring with wire nuts for building wiring. I stand corrected on my earlier post when I said I've never seen a gas heater wired up with the safety features bypassed. I got it all wired up right, cleaned the points on the fan, unfroze the fuel pump and adjusted the thermostat and it fired right up and ran beautifully. I tested the heater's safety features and all passed with flying colors. He was happy considering it's 15 degrees outside and 73 Things have no heater boxes at all.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im about to get started on my install, and i wanna read as much as i can before i get started....

i saw a link elsewhere for the manual here on the samba, is there any other links or information or anything i can read up on?

anyone know of a description like deal that tells what each part is and what it does? i still dont get it.... Mad

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
im about to get started on my install, and i wanna read as much as i can before i get started....

i saw a link elsewhere for the manual here on the samba, is there any other links or information or anything i can read up on?

anyone know of a description like deal that tells what each part is and what it does? i still dont get it.... Mad

Look here: http://type2.com/dakhlia/
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

I'm not getting any responses to the questions in my own thread, so I I'm posting here to see if some of the participants get the notification and see the questions. If so, I'll quote the answers in my thread to help future searchers out.

vwwestyman wrote:
I'm a little apprehensive cutting as much into the Westerner as I'd have to do to install this thing... I didn't realize that a recirc duct cut was necessary, and I didn't realize that the heat tube on a '73 was welded in.

So I decided I'd still spend some time testing it out on the garage floor to see if it needs any repairs, etc. At least then if I sell it, I'll be able to say it works.

I've got most of the parts hooked up to each other, but there are a few pieces of the wiring I'm not sure of. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Roughly left to right:
Female connector with a blue/white wire and a black wire connected to it.

Female connector with two red wires (I presume this just plugs to the back of the fuse box.)

Brown with round connector, from safety reset switch. I imagine this is just grounded with the mounting screw.

Female connector with grey/red wires: I assume this is the light for the temp control knob. Where does it piggyback from, and where does that other connector go?

From the control switch: Brown with white stripe. Is this the one piggybacked onto the rear heating fan contact?

On the control switch: What wires connect to K and 31 terminals? I find warnings that if these are switched the switch will be damaged but I can't figure out what connects to these.

Also, the wires on the safety reset switch: I just matched up the wires to the colors on the diagram. Correct?

vwwestyman wrote:
Anyone have any ideas on those wire ends? I took the day off work today and it would be kind of nice to bench test this thing.

For the control/thermostat switch wires, I saw one post that commented that 31 was to be hooked to ground and K was only used if there was a timer clock installed.

Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Also, I think the only part I'm missing is the "flapper box" that is mounted between the factory heater Y and the gas heater, that the recirc fan ducts into.

I'd like to find this to work properly. (If you find/have one to sell, please let me know!)

But in the mean time, I'm thinking I could simply cut the original metal duct further forward, and cut a hole in it to duct the recirc fan into. The only downside I can think of for this is there won't be a flap in it. This would mean that if I didn't have the gas heater on, but did have the heat exchangers opened up, some of that heat from the exchangers would end up being pushed backwards, through the recirc fan, and into the back of the bus.

Is that really bad somehow? Or not a big deal besides some potential heat loss (up front) when the gas heater isn't fired up?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Type2crazy, can you please post the pics of the overall install and what you ended up with?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Like a lot of other people, it seems, I'd like to retro-fit a BA-6 into my 79 that didn't come with an auxiliary heater, so your thread is a great resource Applause

Now, the more difficult part of finding one at the same point in time that I have the funds for one Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
Like a lot of other people, it seems, I'd like to retro-fit a BA-6 into my 79 that didn't come with an auxiliary heater, so your thread is a great resource Applause

Now, the more difficult part of finding one at the same point in time that I have the funds for one Very Happy

Over the last couple years the interest in Vintage Heat has picked up it seems. With more and more people getting into Bays due to the exorbitant Split costs - its only a matter of time till these folks find out about this "cool" hot accessory. Ive had an influx of question askers over the last year. Some enthusiasts, some sellers. So the network and interest seem to be thriving.

Problem by product of this is a rise in costs for this stuff. Interest & dwindling parts push the cost up. Ive had discussions with several of these sellers consulting I what I thought a good price should be to sell fast and be profitable. Most dont listen in the end and keep stupid high prices on obscure parts that only a handful of people want. Most not worthy tend to be 60 to 75% of the sellers on this site followed by the aholes on ebay.

These parts just sit there month after month.......... Rolling Eyes

Samwise one will pop up sometime. Just keep looking.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

I also have a BA6 that will be installed in my 77 westy that did not have one previously. I want to install it this spring. The road block I have is simply bench testing. I have individually tested all of the components and they all work, both fans, points, new spark/ glow plug, fuel pump. I just have no idea which wires on the harness to hook to power and which to ground in order to fire it up. I do not want to fry this thing. I've searched, but I can find the thread that gives me exactly what I want.
'65 Honda Dream
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Over the last couple years the interest in Vintage Heat has picked up it seems. With more and more people getting into Bays due to the exorbitant Split costs - its only a matter of time till these folks find out about this "cool" hot accessory. Ive had an influx of question askers over the last year. Some enthusiasts, some sellers. So the network and interest seem to be thriving.

Problem by product of this is a rise in costs for this stuff. Interest & dwindling parts push the cost up. Ive had discussions with several of these sellers consulting I what I thought a good price should be to sell fast and be profitable. Most dont listen in the end and keep stupid high prices on obscure parts that only a handful of people want. Most not worthy tend to be 60 to 75% of the sellers on this site followed by the aholes on ebay.

These parts just sit there month after month.......... Rolling Eyes

Samwise one will pop up sometime. Just keep looking.

And then you get like the guy in Lake Elsinore, CA who says in his ad that he has 40-50 heaters of all versions for sale, but local pickup only. 700 miles is a bit of a journey to pick up one heater for $200 without knowing the condition...
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

All brown wires are ground (8 I think) all red get power (3)

206-841-7324
[email protected]
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
All brown wires are ground (8 I think) all red get power (3)

Wasnt there a black one or a black and white one too that you needed to hook to hot? I remember it wasnt as simple as all that Stewie. Dont you have a regular vid?

Here it is - granted out dialog on explaining the wire mess is surly lacking - so maybe Stewie can elaborate.

Samwise - the IVW stash is a pile of incomplete stuff, no doubt with some broken bits on the units from being stacked and stored in a hot part of the country - no real interest. I actually bought my first Eberspacher from them. A BN2 but I caught it as it was brought in prior to shelving. I wouldn't go near his stack of goodies without being there in person for sure. Think of a visit to him as a byproduct of your vacation in San Diego Cool Laughing

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rickshak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

I have factory BA6 in my 78 that I've never gotten to work. (A whole 'nother story) Question: PO removed all the normal heater parts. (Exchangers, fan above engine, etc). Providing I were able to someday fix the BA6, do you think this would still be effective without the stock heater components mentioned? Everything for the BA6 is there.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My BA6 gas heater install (pic heavy) Reply with quote

I refurbished my BA6 and run it stand along - like yours, a PO hacked and removed all of the stock heat components except the Eberspacher. After going through it I had to change around a bunch of the ducting to eliminate where it intersected with the old system. I also insulated the ducting going forward from the heater. It does work, but you will need to make darn sure you have enough air flow - install a booster fan - otherwise it will overheat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: