Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insulated engine cover on a diesel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deezelcaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Insulated engine cover on a diesel? Reply with quote

I grabbed the engine cover out of my parts van, a round headlight water cooled. It has some kind of foam on the bottom. I would like to use it on my diesel as my latches are broken and i am hoping to cut down on some major engine noise but I want to make sure the foam lid is legal first. Thanx for the advice [/b]
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all north american engine hatches after 1983 were made of fiberglass and had that foam insulation in place. Plenty of people have run these with diesels.
In some ways your steel one is more desirable. It's massively heavier but the belief is that it's better at containing flames in the advent of a fire.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I put the steel one in my '86. I wouldn't say it makes things any louder or quieter. The steel one has some kind of fabric batting for insulation.

I guess with the broken latches your old one would be pretty loud. Smile
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the plastic cover on my 82 diesel. It was easier to modify for the TDI engine clearance. Can't speak to the noise. I don't think diesels are as prone to fire as gassers, so that may not be a consideration for you.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the metal lid is better for fires. I have seen at least as many vans burned up from engine fires with the steel lid as the fiberglass one. The hot sheet metal transfers the heat to the fabric and cushion resting on it and those catch fire inside the van. The fiberglass one doesn't do that. But since there is sheet metal all around the opening the fabric and cushion can burst into flame no matter which lid is covering the engine.

Mark

rsxsr wrote:
I am running the plastic cover on my 82 diesel. It was easier to modify for the TDI engine clearance. Can't speak to the noise. I don't think diesels are as prone to fire as gassers, so that may not be a consideration for you.
deezelcaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx all for the advice i will try the fiberglass one to see if there is any sound difference. on the topic of engine noise does anything help? I know it is a diesel and they are loud, but my kids complain about the noise in the back. I just have bare steel back there so I am thinking maybe a heavy mat or possibly the cushion for a z bed i am currently looking for. i am also considering phat mat or dyna mat but the testing on the other posts seem less than encouraging.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one of these up and put it between my Westy mattress and the body. I can't say it's much quieter but that wasn't the point for me - I wanted something I could lay on the ground if need be. But if you have no mattress I think it would certainly help. I know in the past when I removed my mattress the engine was much louder.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531320
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a factory rubber mat available for oil burners. It went over the entire rear deck and down the slope to the floor. It made a difference. You could easily make one. You will find pictures of one on MG's Limey thread.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diesel metal engine lid seemed twice as heavy as the aircooled metal lid, due to some heavy sound deadening material on the diesel lid. I have used very thick very heavy truck bed liner rubber sheet, cut for the entire area under the rear cushion over the engine. That makes a noticeable improvement with a diesel engine.

Mark

deezelcaddy wrote:
thanx all for the advice i will try the fiberglass one to see if there is any sound difference. on the topic of engine noise does anything help? I know it is a diesel and they are loud, but my kids complain about the noise in the back. I just have bare steel back there so I am thinking maybe a heavy mat or possibly the cushion for a z bed i am currently looking for. i am also considering phat mat or dyna mat but the testing on the other posts seem less than encouraging.
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine lid material is a age thing, not a fuel thing.
All later vans have plastic/glass lid.
All the flat surfaces around the engine bay had a bitumastic sound deadening covering which was then painted over.
The sloping face going from the load area floor up to the level of the engine bay also had thick foam/card insulation on the underside [above the gearbox]
Passenger carrying Diesel T3s also had a "comfort mount" on the elft engine bearer, it has a rubber bushing in it.
The other thing that makes a massive difference is the factory undertray as fitted to all Diesel when it left the factory [but often left off as they are a pain in the ring piece to remove]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
deezelcaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx all for the info. My insulation above the gearbox is long gone. I will definitely try the rubber mat. I also got the rubber seal for the lid so I hope that helps. I am not clear about the "comfort mount" or the "under tray " is the comfort mount an engine mount? And is the under tray the tin tray under the motor? Thanx again
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we call the carrier bars changed a few times over the years. Others call them bearers. Either way, at first they had rubber isolator bushings at both ends of both bars. In 83 models the bars were changed and the rubber isolator ends were dropped. Later the left side bar end isolators were brought back for some models and markets.

In US market models there were only 2 types of carrier bars:
82 with isolator ends on all 4 ends. (engine mounted forward for short early 4 speeds)
83 without isolator ends. (engine moved back for longer 5 speed)

In other markets there was more variety in the bars after 83:
4wd Syncro bars, no isolator ends. (engine mounted lower from raised Syncro body)
2wd left side bar isolator mount added on some models.
2wd right side bar contour changed to clear additional pulleys on some models.

Mark

deezelcaddy wrote:
..... I am not clear about the "comfort mount" ......is the comfort mount an engine mount?....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: