Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

I know it has been a really long time, but progress has been made!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And we even ventured outside!!!

And then all was lost as we had to make room in the garage for the misses westy👎

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Great job. Good to see an automatic pan get lots of love.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Nice progress!
Love to see all of those shiny lovingly-restored parts all bolted together like that.

An Ironhead Sportster..! Cool
So pretty to look at, those..

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Looks damn good. Very Happy Like Steve I really like seeing fresh paint mixed with clean new hardware going together. Cool Are you going to add a jamb nut to the right outer tie rod end? Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Thanks gents!

And Steve that Ironhead might just stay sitting there. I have 48 Triumph with close pitch fin 500 motor going together soon

And of course Bob! I had to order them as new tie rods don’t come with them and typical of most Vws, the original was rounded, chiseled and vice gripped to death.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Ironhead Sportsters are nice to sit and look at.
Riding them, not so much.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Thanks gents!

And Steve that Ironhead might just stay sitting there. I have 48 Triumph with close pitch fin 500 motor going together soon

And of course Bob! I had to order them as new tie rods don’t come with them and typical of most Vws, the original was rounded, chiseled and vice gripped to death.

Yeah, I thought it would be something like that.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

So I know it’s been a while, no progress has been made. Kinda got bummed on the project, seems like every time I turn around I’m dealing with someone else shoddy work. I honestly think it would have been better to start with a rusty car over one that was restored incorrectly. I finally admired to myself I needed a new front clip as this was so patched together nothing lined up. Search the classifieds and find a “never been hit front end” and they are will to ship to the northern most greyhound depot. Get the front clip and there are signs of a previous repair... first the dents are prevalent and rusting on the inside and secondly the bondo is cracking on the outside. Yeah me, more shoddy work to contend with. So for now, throwing in the towel and will enjoy the summer riding bikes and encouraging Steve to get his done.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

I know how you feel. When I was doing my 65 Notch, I kept thinking that the PO must have thought bondo was a permanent repair. After digging some of the bondo off, I found patches of ductwork riveted to the fenders to "fix" the holes. Up on the roof (around the sunroof opening) there was fiberglass cloth with some glass and bondo on it. The rear part (more rust) just had a skim coat of bondo (peeling up), along with having the lower corners of the rear window posts packed with bondo into the rust holes. I spent a solid 6 months just chasing holes and bondo out. I cut the lower 6 inches off the rear fenders and replaced the metal there, along with doing the same to the front fenders. Both rocker got re-skinned too.
All of that helped prep me for the 71 Notch I did 7 years later (Krunchy). That car got the entire floor rebuilt (including a frame head swap), a complete front clip, reworked early rear fenders, and a rear apron. It too got a replacement rocker skin, while the other side got patched, as it wasn't as bad. Both rear inner body mount sections got replaced, as did parts of the inner rear fenders.

While doing a rusty "straight" car might sound easier, there's a ton of welding and metal replacement that goes with it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 notch Reply with quote

Felt a little of the same but I told myself "It's mine now so I have to fix it or leave as is". Strip that mud off and take your time and plan out your attack. It will come together whether you get a repalcement piece or work with what you have. Only way to find out is to get to the bareness and go from there. Hang in there and keep pressing. Little progress is progress Surprised
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: