Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Driveshaft critical speed also needs to be considered. The syncro driveshaft is actually pretty long for a one piece driveshaft. Something like this is fun to play around with. Try different values.

Critical speed calculator.
https://spicerparts.com/calculators/driveshaft-safe-operating-rpm-calculator
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
That thing has spent some time rubbing on the dirt.
Wonder if it could be bent....
I suppose it could be checked / straightened / balanced by a driveline shop.
I wonder if theres springback sometime later (after straightening).

Notice the two yokes are “aligned” on a Syncro propshaft. Oh ok, I wasn`t crazy , so why the 90* clocking fo us? In cae of non curable vibrations?
Thats for the U configuration.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Sorry for making you crazy Alika.
I was typing on my phone, wasn’t able to look up the proper info to jog my memory.
There is no such thing as 90° driveshaft clocking (being useful for anything relevant).
That was a total brain fart.
I edited the posts with strikethru.
Good thing I found it before 10c did. Wink
.....still somewhat vulnerable on that one...🤣🤣

Basically the u-joint angles must be equal in either Z or U configuration.
For Syncro it's U config, and 4° at each U-joint.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Sorry for making you crazy Alika.
I was typing on my phone, wasn’t able to look up the proper info to jog my memory.
There is no such thing as 90° driveshaft clocking (being useful for anything relevant).
That was a total brain fart.
I edited the posts with strikethru.
Good thing I found it before 10c did. Wink
.....still somewhat vulnerable on that one...🤣🤣

Basically the u-joint angles must be equal in either Z or U configuration.
For Syncro it's U config, and 4° at each U-joint.

No problem!

I`m reading everything I can bc on my Syncro it makes this crazy bottle noise in the driveshaft when I`m moving a very low rpm underpowered, it`s making me nuts!!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

My syncro sometimes makes a noise moving off from a stop. I thought it was an exhaust rattle. Decided to swap in a good used CAT. Found the installed cat had been hallowed. Checked all the other hardware etc. Nothing obvious.

Driving it more, I believe the noise is from the driveshaft. I had my driveshaft person make me a custom one. Nothing unlike what vendors sell. No quibo, but a slip joint and common replaceable u joints. It’s smooth, but I’d rather not have any noise. It seems to be related to how I move off. Weird I suppose. It doesn’t bother me enough to remove it and see if the noise subsides.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
My syncro sometimes makes a noise moving off from a stop. I thought it was an exhaust rattle. Decided to swap in a good used CAT. Found the installed cat had been hallowed. Checked all the other hardware etc. Nothing obvious.

Driving it more, I believe the noise is from the driveshaft. I had my driveshaft person make me a custom one. Nothing unlike what vendors sell. No quibo, but a slip joint and common replaceable u joints. It’s smooth, but I’d rather not have any noise. It seems to be related to how I move off. Weird I suppose. It doesn’t bother me enough to remove it and see if the noise subsides.

I too have a custom driveshaft, I mean, kinda custom, slip yoke, no guibo.
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

After installing a boxeer tdi engine, driveshaft vibrations have been driving me nuts. I tried the van cafe method twice and shimmed the rear of the diff up. No luck. In fact it is worse after the 2nd van cafe attempt. I’ve got a 15 year old gowesty slip yoke shaft that was fine before the install. I had it balanced and serviced anyway and nothing changed. I also have another variable. All 5 mounts for diff & transaxle were replaced with T3 poly yellow mounts. Other than getting my hands on a laser tool, I am at a loss.

Update: with my iphone level, the diff flange is pointing down 4.2 degrees, the middle of the shaft is at 1.2 down at rear and the transaxle flange is pointing down 1 degree. Looks like the rear of the diff should be raised more, but its already against the shift rod. Is there a way to lower the front of the diff instead ? As I understand from earlier posts, the transaxle needs to go down and diff goes up so that they are both close to 2 degrees, right? Is lateral alignment as important? If so, how to check for that?

Van cafe states that “The slip yoke end goes to the front differential.” I’m a bit confused by some mention to do the opposite.

Thanks for any help, guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Going from memory, not experience, lateral alignment is also important. You want the driveshaft-to-flange angles, both vertically and laterally, to be numerically close. The factory setup, IIRC, has no lateral angle and therefore no specification for angle. In the Bentley at 39.43, VW says: "Align final drive [meaning the front diff] in longitudinal direction and tighten mounting bolts."

I get a slight vibration at speeds I rarely drive at (35 mph), and I have been too lazy to try to adjust the positions. I have the Van Cafe slip-yoke drive shaft as it was delivered back in 2008. As my rear VW motor mounts sag (three instead of two due to the SVX conversion), the vibration has diminished, so that gives me a clue for when I overcome my inertia in future. Your future involves a laser alignment tool.
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Going from memory, not experience, lateral alignment is also important. You want the driveshaft-to-flange angles, both vertically and laterally, to be numerically close. The factory setup, IIRC, has no lateral angle and therefore no specification for angle. In the Bentley at 39.43, VW says: "Align final drive [meaning the front diff] in longitudinal direction and tighten mounting bolts."

I get a slight vibration at speeds I rarely drive at (35 mph), and I have been too lazy to try to adjust the positions. I have the Van Cafe slip-yoke drive shaft as it was delivered back in 2008. As my rear VW motor mounts sag (three instead of two due to the SVX conversion), the vibration has diminished, so that gives me a clue for when I overcome my inertia in future. Your future involves a laser alignment tool.

Howesight, thank you for the feedback!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

VikingWagen wrote:
After installing a boxeer tdi engine, driveshaft vibrations have been driving me nuts. I tried the van cafe method twice and shimmed the rear of the diff up. No luck. In fact it is worse after the 2nd van cafe attempt. I’ve got a 15 year old gowesty slip yoke shaft that was fine before the install. I had it balanced and serviced anyway and nothing changed. I also have another variable. All 5 mounts for diff & transaxle were replaced with T3 poly yellow mounts. Other than getting my hands on a laser tool, I am at a loss.

Update: with my iphone level, the diff flange is pointing down 4.2 degrees, the middle of the shaft is at 1.2 down at rear and the transaxle flange is pointing down 1 degree. Looks like the rear of the diff should be raised more, but its already against the shift rod. Is there a way to lower the front of the diff instead ? As I understand from earlier posts, the transaxle needs to go down and diff goes up so that they are both close to 2 degrees, right? Is lateral alignment as important? If so, how to check for that?

Van cafe states that “The slip yoke end goes to the front differential.” I’m a bit confused by some mention to do the opposite.

Thanks for any help, guys!

You can shim the front diff with washers on the (3)three mounting bolts to change the angle.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Recently a post was made that the input shaft was said to be 10mm offset to the right assuming this means passenger side if at the back of the van?

If getting technical with finding centerline of the van and dropping plumb from various parts of the drivetrain, the center of crank pulley will land 10mm to the right of center.

I also used a phone app for finding angles but found it cumbersome and sensitive. I bought a Lazer and also question it's accuracy. I know the pain of sorting out the vibes and have pulled my prop shaft until I can devote a weekend or more to the challenge.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

It's definitely offset to the right/passenger side. This confused me many times when putting my van back together because I didn't notice when taking it apart. Very odd that the support beams are centered but the shaft isnt. Either do one or the other. Everything offset or everything centered. It really irritates me to look at it. Laughing
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Here's the laser method I've been using; has worked very well for me on several different Syncros.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First off you want to make sure the van is level, both front to back and side to side.
Lateral alignment can be easily checked with a basic construction laser tool. They're not very expensive these days (or borrow one)
Using the case lines in the transaxle and the front diff get the two in line with each other (double check this after any up/down adjustments of the two).

With lights on:

Next is the vertical. I have the old GW laser tool they used to rent and sell (I bought one, it was expensive but has been worth it), a similar setup can be cobbled together with regular laser pointers. The hardest bit is figuring out the holder for the pen, it needs to be able to hold the pointer in the center of the output flanges, while allowing it to rotate and pivot (this would be a good candidate for a printed part, it doesn't need to be as massive as the GW pucks ).
The other part is a card with a small level and vertical line that is also attached to the flanges. This is the marker card. Both are held on with magnets.

And here's the laser pointer setup.

The way it works: mount the laser on the transaxle and the card on the front diff, make sure card is level (vertical line is perpendicular to floor), as you point the laser at the marker card rotate and adjust the pointer until it describes a dot instead of a circle, mark the dot on the card (a piece of tape works well for multiple tries).
Then swap the setup so the pointer is on the front diff and the card on the transaxle and repeat. This will tell you where the the diff and transaxle are pointing in relation to each other; you can then shim each as needed.
The dots should end up centered on the vertical line and slightly lower than the center of the flange.
Repeat until dots from each direction end up on top of each other.
Remember to double check the lateral alignment of the cases.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

MsTaboo, excellent writeup! Lucky you to snag one of GW's alignment tools. I will try to cobble together something like that and see if I can get the vibes to go away. FYI, I called GW yesterday and found out they no longer do any service on customers vans. Bummer, because I was thinking about swinging down that way to have them align the drive train.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

It is worth mentioning that the poly bushings are also less forgiving, some people couldn`t go anywhere with them and went back to rubber.

Also the torque for these rubber mount bolts is 45nm. I just dropped my transmission yesterday, you can still spin the metallic mount with donuts assembled ( makes sense bc of the plastic spacers, but still interesting).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Also the torque for these rubber mount bolts is 45nm. I just dropped my transmission yesterday, you can still spin the metallic mount with donuts assembled ( makes sense bc of the plastic spacers, but still interesting).

Thank you! Mine were cranked down (I should have followed instructions Embarassed).

I loosened and retorqued the three front mounts to 45nm and my vibration from 55-60 MPH is dramatically reduced, if not completely gone. I need more time in the saddle to be sure but initial results are very good.

This is with no decoupler, rubber bushings, and a non-guibo solid shaft from Go Westy.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Thank you! Mine were cranked down (I should have followed instructions Embarassed).

I loosened and retorqued the three front mounts to 45nm and my vibration from 55-60 MPH is dramatically reduced, if not completely gone. I need more time in the saddle to be sure but initial results are very good.

This is with no decoupler, rubber bushings, and a non-guibo solid shaft from Go Westy.

Well, that’s good news and an easy fix! The bolts on my drivetrain are most likely too tight and I will go re-torque them. Not sure if it makes any difference if you have oem rubber mounts or T3 yellow powerflex mounts.
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
It is worth mentioning that the poly bushings are also less forgiving, some people couldn`t go anywhere with them and went back to rubber..

UPDATE:
The 2 diff mounts at the rear got 3 washers each to raise that end and the forward transaxle mounts got 2 washers to lower that end. Test drive with slightly loose diff bolts resulted in a bit less vibration. Tightening those bolts added more vibration. Frustrating! Then I swapped the old rubber diff mounts in and another test drive. NO VIBRATION AT ALL! Bottom line is that the yellow Powerflex urethane mounts from T3 techniques were the problem.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

Probably not, but you probably moved everything around just enough when swapping in the old bushings that it is aligned properly now.

Either way, don't touch it! Laughing
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Propshaft Alignment Problem Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Probably not, but you probably moved everything around just enough when swapping in the old bushings that it is aligned properly now.

Either way, don't touch it! Laughing

You could be right. Here is Christopher’s (t3 technique) response

I'm sorry you had that experience. While I have seen people report having vibration issues with them, I run them in my own vans and I work with several high end Vanagon repair shops that run them and none of us have had that issue. My suspicion is that the rubber mounts mask an existing problem whereas the urethane mounts do not. I don’t have proof of that, but I have had a few customers have vibration issues, start looking for possible causes, and end up finding something that causes it. Once fixed, they have no vibrations at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: