Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

correct throttle body for my 85 1.9?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

so i'm looking at a used TB and it's advertised as fitting a 76-84... Looks identical, albeit in far better shape than what i've got on my 85 1.9.

I can't find any information that makes sense of 76-84 fitment. does this look proper for the 85 1.9 and is the ad incorrect?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

I used the throttle body off a a '91 on my 83 1/2. Required minor rewiring of the throttle position switch.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

I just finished this one-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2605619

Ready to go. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I used the throttle body off a a '91 on my 83 1/2. Required minor rewiring of the throttle position switch.

right on. right on. what did the rewiring entail?

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

right on. right on. what did the rewiring entail?

Both units use two wires so you just need to figure out what it takes to hook up the early harness to the later unit. Don't remember what I did, but it didn't take much at all to do, just not quite a plug and play, IIRC.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Both units can be swapped out.

Early WBX is dual switch and dual vacuum nipple.
Later models ( late 85 and on) had a single switch that does both functions at once. One vacuum nipple.

Wires on the dual switch are just one pair off the main harness and split in 2 pairs.

The single nipple requires a Tee to solve the vacuum routing issue.
I wanna say the 2.1L connection to the intake boot is bigger diameter, but I don't remember for sure.

GoWesty has clear instructions on their TB listing. It's just common sense once you look at it, very simple stuff.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Later models ( late 85 and on) had a single switch that does both functions at once. One vacuum nipple.

Wires on the dual switch are just one pair off the main harness and split in 2 pairs.

I wanna say the 2.1L connection to the intake boot is bigger diameter, but I don't remember for sure.

GoWesty has clear instructions on their TB listing. It's just common sense once you look at it, very simple stuff.

Doesn't one nipple have manifold vacuum and the other ported vacuum on a 1.9L? That would be required to get the vacuum retard function to work properly. I know I have bolted both the 1.9L and the late 2.1L throttle bodies to the same plenum, but can't say what year plenum it is as my engine is a hodge podge of stuff from both a 1.9L and a 2.1L.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Doesn't one nipple have manifold vacuum and the other ported vacuum on a 1.9L? That would be required to get the vacuum retard function to work properly. I know I have bolted both the 1.9L and the late 2.1L throttle bodies to the same plenum, but can't say what year plenum it is as my engine is a hodge podge of stuff from both a 1.9L and a 2.1L.

Yes, that throttle body also has the hole in the throttle plate for the bypass so it idles correctly when the plate is closed and the canister retards the timing.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

You get the other one from the plenum nipple close to the brake booster connection. Then both have a tee.

Again, GW has clear instructions. Here's the link https://gowesty.com/products/gowesty-throttle-valve-housing
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
so i'm looking at a used TB and it's advertised as fitting a 76-84... Looks identical, albeit in far better shape than what i've got on my 85 1.9.

I can't find any information that makes sense of 76-84 fitment. does this look proper for the 85 1.9 and is the ad incorrect?

Got mine for our 85 from buslab.com https://www.buslab.com/product-p/gvw-tb-df-n.htm
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

I'll bite... Is there any advantage (other than availability) to using a Digifant TB on a 1.9 engine?

The Digijet unit certainly makes it easy to adjust the throttle position switches.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Here's our rebuilt '84 1.9 throttle body with the earlier double switch set-up for comparison. The only issue with that one for sell that you pictured, is you don't know throttle shaft play, and how worn the bore is in relation to the plate either. It's been glass beaded or media blasted, so it's clean at least...
Is yours is the '85 single switch, and not the double switch like the one in that AD?

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Here's our rebuilt '84 1.9 throttle body with the earlier double switch set-up for comparison. The only issue with that one for sell that you pictured, is you don't know throttle shaft play, and how worn the bore is in relation to the plate either. It's been glass beaded or media blasted, so it's clean at least...
Is yours is the '85 single switch, and not the double switch like the one in that AD?

Im thinking similarly, but at a low low price and a working claim from a used parts vendor with excellent feedback, i may give it a go.

My van has the double switch as is featured in the photo.

I would ideally buy a remanned TB but 3-400 bucks isnt in my pocket to be spent at this time.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
Im thinking similarly, but at a low low price and a working claim from a used parts vendor with excellent feedback, i may give it a go.

My van has the double switch as is featured in the photo.

I would ideally buy a remanned TB but 3-400 bucks isnt in my pocket to be spent at this time.

Understand about the money- Once you buy that one, check the switches with a Meter to make sure they work, and there isn't high resistance in the switches either- hopefully media grit didn't get slammed into the switches when the throttle body was blasted.
A new seal for the connection to the intake plenum is a must if yours is really old.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:

IIRC, ‘85 had both the single and dual switch TB which is why you are not making sense of the figment years. If yours has the double switch like the one pictured then it’s plug and play. I suspect the early ‘85s has the leftover TBs from the 84 production year.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: correct throttle body for my 85 1.9? Reply with quote

Pascal wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

IIRC, ‘85 had both the single and dual switch TB which is why you are not making sense of the figment years. If yours has the double switch like the one pictured then it’s plug and play. I suspect the early ‘85s has the leftover TBs from the 84 production year.

That's what I mentioned earlier in this thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: