Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74-77 Evaporative Emission parts question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: 74-77 Evaporative Emission parts question Reply with quote

Replacing evaporative system hoses on my new '76 Westy and just discovered:

A) German Supply doesn't supply a drawing with their kit, but a link to Ratwell's website.
B) The drawing on Ratwell.com is for '78/79 models. 74-77 is not the same.

This applies only to 74-77 models. Could someone here please provide me with photos or at least a very good description of the evaporative emission parts I've circled in this diagram? I'm missing these parts!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Extra credit for explaining what the heck items 10 and 11 are and where they're supposed to be located/attached.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#9 is a short peice of steel or plastic tubing, the circled question mark is rubber hose or steel with a short hose to connect. #10 and #11 are for when the canister is located in a different spot or the Euro 1600 installation (some didn't use a canister and routed the vent directly to the aircleaner).

It doesn't really matter how and what you use to connect it, the 2 small diameter vents coming from each side Tee together and connect to the small nipple on the canister.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the additional info!
It matters to me that I find out what parts were originally used so the can be replaced with same. I'm not just getting it to run.

I would like to know whether the circled part on the right is metal or rubber or what. I understand the theory, but need to know what the missing part looks like.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then you'd better post the month your bus was built because 76's have a whole grab bag of oddball parts used, if it's close to mine I'll have a look. Could be painted steel, could be unpainted steel, could be braided rubber, could be white nylon, could be yellow nylon.............

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I had no idea that changed so much within the 76 model year. Mine was built February, 1976.

Is there a reference for parts that shows this kind of specific information? I'm experienced correctly restoring late 60s/early 70s era Fords. I have a book originally supplied to dealer parts departments where I can see an exploded diagram, look up a base part number, then use the base number to find a part number/name/description specific to a model, year, and and even date if changed within year. Online I see the VW microfiche drawings like the one i referenced earlier, but don't find the rest of the stuff . What am I missing and where do I find it?
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eche....got your PM, and always happy to help out. Here are some pics from Mrs Westfab's bus. The components that you asked about are as they were when from the factory. There are no alterations here:

The 3 way junction. Coming into it from the passenger side is a metal tube (also circled in the diagram above):

The metal tube coming in from the passenger side is a straight shot to the "hard wired" green tubing:

Connecting the two tubes is a 1.5" piece of grey braided fuel line with clamps:

The connector that you asked about that joins the run to evap canister:

Back tracked to the charcoal canister:

The rubber junction:

The piece that you wanted to know about. It is metal; it is 11/4" long; the outer diameter is about 3/16", and the inner diameter is about 1/8":

Hope this helps.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous - your photos showed me *exactly* what is missing from my '76. It appears like a fairly "generic" copper tube that runs to the right from the rubber 'T' over to the short hose section that couples it to the rest. Looks like I'm also missing that metal retaining clip that's pulling out of your top panel (bet those didn't stay put long)- guess I'll be using the tie-wrap meanwhile, too.

Man, Mrs Westfab's bus sure is clean. Gotta figure that wasn't the work of tiny elves working through the night. Nice, nice work!
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Westfabulous - your photos showed me *exactly* what is missing from my '76. It appears like a fairly "generic" copper tube that runs to the right from the rubber 'T' over to the short hose section that couples it to the rest. Looks like I'm also missing that metal retaining clip that's pulling out of your top panel (bet those didn't stay put long)- guess I'll be using the tie-wrap meanwhile, too.

Man, Mrs Westfab's bus sure is clean. Gotta figure that wasn't the work of tiny elves working through the night. Nice, nice work!

Glad I could help. Mrs Westfab's engine compartment is a mess compared to mine, but we continue to chip away at it and it looks better all the time. Just a note, the tube that runs to the right, and the small connector, are steel and not copper. The patina is a combination of oil and rust that looks like copper. Carry on, and good luck.

Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eche.....I got your PM, and I decided to post the pictures here in the event that they can be of use to someone else someday. So, here is Mrs Westfab's bus; it looks much dirtier here than it is overall. Specifically, you were looking for info on how the charcoal canister connects to the fan shroud, so, here you go...hope this helps:

No hole here:

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of "the audience":

I'd PM'd Westfabulous asking for photos/clarification on a couple of things. They weren't directly related to this thread's original topic, or I would have posted to this thread.

I'd asked to see where the charcoal canister to fan housing hose connected to the fan housing on a '76 model. The only photo I found during a search was a '77, and I could see it was different from '78/79 so didn't want to assume '76 was the same. I couldn't find a Microfiche drawing showing this detail. It appears on my engine the fitting has been sawn off, and a rubber plug installed. Nice work, previous owner from hell. Twisted Evil

I also wanted to figure out why my upper tin just to the rear of the ignition coil had an open hole in it. I've seen the A/C installation instructions and they make mention of drilling a hole in this location, but it has something to do with relocating the "air hose" associated with an "air pump". There's no air pump in '76 so this didn't make any sense. I see that Westfabulous' tin has no such hole, yet has A/C. My compressor was pulled and a tin patch hacked in, so perhaps this upper tin with the hole is from a year that used an air pump? FWIW, the rest of the engine seems consistent with the '76 model year.

Just in case someone here recognizes this hole in the tin, here's the (corroded) detail from my engine. For now, I'll see if I can find a metal (or rubber?) plug somewhere that will fill it. Comments welcome.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be a big deal to figure out how to reinstall a nipple in the side of the shroud, or you could get a later right side cylinder tin which has the relocated nipple and use that.

You can just cut a patch from the lid of a tin can and JB Weld it over the hole in your tin. As another alternative for you missing nipple, you could install a nipple right through your new patch.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I've discovered that my sawn-off and plugged fan housing tube and large hole in the top of the tin is the result of standard installation procedure for Fort Worth Texas CCOOL A/C. The tube must stick out too far for the compressor to butt up to the fan housing properly. There's a bunch of different documents out there describing the install and I must have been reading the wrong one before. For now, I'll assume that Mrs. Westfabulous' '76 model must have a different type/model of A/C than mine.

This http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1976_bus_dpd_under_dash_ac.php points to the install that seems to match what I have.

Here's the step that removes the charcoal canister hose, then cuts off and plugs the metal tube:

Here's the step that drills out the tin, grommets the hole, and relocates the hose connection to the charcoal canister:

Now I just need to find the right size grommet somewhere and I can plug the canister back in!
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very interesting Eche. I have those install instructions in hardcopy, but haven't looked at them in a while. Both Mrs Westfab and I have Cooool AC units, and as you can see, her fan shroud tube was not cut. I will say that whoever installed hers at the dealership had obviously done a few, as his work was really clean. Perhaps the installer had learned from experience that the alteration was not necessary. There were also a number of installation amendments printed and distributed over the years, and that aspect may have changed at some point. Anyway, that makes life easier for you. Time for a trip to the Home Despot for a look in their bung section. Razz

Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
Eche.....I got your PM, and I decided to post the pictures here in the event that they can be of use to someone else someday. So, here is Mrs Westfab's bus; it looks much dirtier here than it is overall. Specifically, you were looking for info on how the charcoal canister connects to the fan shroud, so, here you go...hope this helps:

I have a '79 bus with a '76 engine in it. Instead of connecting the large hose from the bottom of the charcoal canister to the fan shroud the PO put a plug in the shroud where the nipple should be as shown in these photos.
Is there a part number for this nipple/connector? Or is it just a standard size connector? Anyone know where I could get one?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happyfolk wrote:
Is there a part number for this nipple/connector? Or is it just a standard size connector? Anyone know where I could get one?

It's just a piece of 12mm steel tube and not under any pressure to speak of, any thin wall tube will work, JB weld is likely the best way to make it stay in the hole.
Or find a 78/79 RH cylinder tin with the nipple on it.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the tin above where #2 is. On 1978 and later engines that connector moved there. It is possible the bus has 1979 tin and a 1976 shroud.
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
look at the tin above where #2 is. On 1978 and later engines that connector moved there. It is possible the bus has 1979 tin and a 1976 shroud.

I must have the '76 tin & shroud. No connector or hole in the tin above #2. Is the connector on the later tin plastic or metal?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happyfolk wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I must have the '76 tin & shroud. No connector or hole in the tin above #2. Is the connector on the later tin plastic or metal?

Steel.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: