Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winterizing the van
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Winterizing the van Reply with quote

Bought a used van ~ 7 years ago. It spends the winters in the garage. I do the typical things to winterize it - inflate the tires to 50 PSI, park it with blocks behind the wheels so I can leave it in neutral and keep the hand brake off, add Stabil to the gas., and remove the battery and store it in the basement where I place a charger on it every month or so.

I also move the van backward or forward each month about a foot so that the tires do not sit in the same spot for 4-6 months and develop a flat spot.

I did leave the battery in the van disconnected one winter, but found that the NE cold got to it and I had to replace it the following year.

What I do not do is an oil change before the winter; rather I wait until I take it out in the late spring.

Does it make more sense to do the oil change before garaging the van? If so, why?

thanks
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Winterizing the van Reply with quote

jdbs3 wrote:
...What I do not do is an oil change before the winter; rather I wait until I take it out in the late spring.

Does it make more sense to do the oil change before garaging the van? If so, why?...

It is my understanding that oil gets acids, condensations & such in it from running and thus it is better to store the engine with fresh oil in it (run little or not at all).

As long as you're in there messing with it from time to time I would also depress the clutch each time -- depending on conditions, pressure plates can rust in place. Not a tragedy if they do but perhaps some exericse will prevent it altogether.

I don't think modern radials are prone to flat-spotting like Dad's old bias ply tires. Still, no harm in shifting position from time to time.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for changing the oil before you park it if you have many miles on the oil. One of the prime reason you change the oil is because old oil offers less corrosion protection for your engine than new oil. After an oil change your new oil will barely age at all over the course of one winter, especially if you are running a synthetic.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings - thanks for that post. I think from now on, I'll change the oil before winter and simply run it all summer.
However, I do add Marvel Mystery Oil to the cylinders when I let it sit for the winter. Should I change the oil after firing up come spring because of this? Or should I simply add my synthetic oil to the cylinders?

Also, any recommendation on a smart battery charger tender for the winter (battery will likely be removed) appreciated. I used to simply buy the cheapest every spring - too expensive for that now!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-12-Volt-Smart-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY

The van has two, and another winter stored car, the 3rd. I don't bother removing the batteries any more, but rather leave them connected to the smart charger. These charge, then switch to float mode monitoring. For winter, I have a timer that only runs them for an hour/day. A charged battery in good condition will not freeze. IF you do pull the battery, just leave it connected to one of these. Normally if the van is sitting for some time (even in summer) I leave these chargers attached to the two batteries, 1 to the starting battery via the 12V ligher, the 2nd to the aux battery to a 12v I added to that circuit. If you want to get a bit fancier, just wire them in connected to your 110 wiring, and just plug your van into AC in the garage.

You don't need to add anything to the cylinders. The best possible thing is to run it for 5-10 minutes every month or two. Run synthetic, like 5w50, or 0w50. Additives are pretty much a waste of cash (with an exception for the odd bottle of Techron). Typically I do a once yearly change right about now.
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't hurting anything by adding Marvel mystery oil to the cylinders for storage and it shouldn't cause you to change the oil more frequently.

BUT... MMO isn't really the best product to use for storage. Use fogging oil, it'll do a better job of protecting the whole cylinder, not just the bottom. You might not really need it but I've had a couple good running engines seize up from rust in the cylinder and or rings. It's cheap insurance and the proper oil.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denwood wrote:
The best possible thing is to run it for 5-10 minutes every month or two.

If you do run it you need to get it hot enough to burn off the water vapor that gathers in the exhaust. Just starting it for a few minutes a month is a good way to rot out an exhaust system before its time. Take it for a 20 minute drive if you start it....or leave it alone.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Winterizing the van Reply with quote

[quote="Ahwahnee"]
jdbs3 wrote:

It is my understanding that oil gets acids, condensations & such in it from running and thus it is better to store the engine with fresh oil in it (run little or not at all).

It's true. I once parked a P914 for much longer than planned without changing the oil. When I disassembled the engine, acids in the oil had eaten holes in the cam drive gear. Makes a good paperweight now.

RonC
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many winter stored vehicles (example, my two) are not safe in the snow Smile That said, within 5 minutes, the EGT in my sciroccco is exceeding 300C. This during winter temps, average -10C. One exhaust, stainless, Techtonics, about 15 years back. To be honest, it's only started 2-3 times/winter. Van the same, although it's in the garage. Anything more is a waste of fuel IMHO.

This study shows pre-cat EGT after 2 minutes at 320+C : http://www.ricardo.com/Documents/Downloads/pdf/wave_warmup_analysis.pdf WAVE predicted vs actual temp probing. Leaving a healthy cat, EGT typical +100C

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Dennis.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denwood wrote:

Your mileage may vary.

What are your oil temperatures getting up to? Are they getting hot enough for long enough to evaporate out the condensate you get from the blowby? The other thing with starting your engine after it sits for a month or two is the oil galleys have likely drained down and there will be little oil available to the main and rod bearing on each start, so you may get a bit of abnormal wear with each start you do.
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60c or so. It rarely sees 100c except during autoX/high speed use.

My van engine has 125 psi, before I start it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The scirocco I've been messing with since buying it 23 years back. The chassis has 260 000km, and it still does 0-60 in 7.4 with the autoX rubber. The 2.0 litre block in it goes back about 10 years..and does not burn/consume oil under the winter regime. It does not have the accusump treatment. Still amazes me how quickly it fires up using the stock CIS.

I do run synthetics in the engines and trans/final drives. Most folks report zero sludge issues with synthetic, same observations here. There are many opinions on the subject, this works for me.

Cheers,
Dennis.
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good feedback - thanks!

A follow-up. When I take the van out in the spring, it does not sound right until after driving it for a day or so. My mechanic said it was the lifters and gave me some Sea Foam to put in the gas. I never used it since the noise went away in a day.

When winterizing it, what can I do to avoid this sticky lifter problem next spring?
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydraulic lifters if in perfect shape, shouldn't leak down too quickly. That said, it's not unusual to have them clacking away after a long period. Hot oil and pressure will pump them back up..which is why it takes a bit of driving for them quiet down.

Remarkably thorough read on them here:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdbs3 wrote:
All good feedback - thanks!

A follow-up. When I take the van out in the spring, it does not sound right until after driving it for a day or so. My mechanic said it was the lifters and gave me some Sea Foam to put in the gas. I never used it since the noise went away in a day.

When winterizing it, what can I do to avoid this sticky lifter problem next spring?

Seafoam is a fuel stabilizer, so it is is good idea to use it. Fill your tank to minimize condensation and add the amount of seafoam indicated on the can. Well that is what you would do around here -- we don't have ethanol in our fuel yet. I think with ethanol blended fuels (most places) it is recommended to drain the tank. Not sure about the effect of Seafoam on blended fuels; maybe it says on the can. There is a lot of info there in about 1 point text. Any kids around to read the can? Smile

RonC
BC Westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to do is give your brake pedal a pump or two once a month. That will lube up your master cyl and stop the seals from drying out.

Things I do to winter store:
- Stabil in the gas and tank full
- Pump the tires up to 45-50psi
- Hand brake off wheels blocked off
- Mice holes all closed off with steel wool (battery drain hole and behind the front grill sides)
- Dri-z-air that keeps the inner van at 50% humidity or less. InVancouver outside is 75-90%
- Have internal thermoeter and humidity gauge
- Leave all cupboards open
- Pump the brakes once a month
- Give the battery a charge every two months

If I sneak our for a fall or winter camp put the van back in the garage and run the dehumidifier for 2hrs to get it down to 20% so the canvas does not mold.
1981 Westfalia 300,000kms
1982 Westfalia Cali Import 193,000Miles
1982 Westfalia (Auto) 205,000Kms
1984 Vanagon 306,000kms
1987 Vanagon GL 300,000Kms
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do, don't run it. Almost all engine wear occurs during starting so why wear it if you don't have to. If you did start it, you need to run it up temperature and keep it there for 30-45 mins to thoroughly burn off the moisture in the oil. Driving the vehicle at highway speeds it the recommended way to do that as an idling engine just won't cut it.

Change the oil before starting to remove any contaminants and provide new, fresh oil additives and put it up for the winter. Inside storage of batteries is good but I've have great success with using a batter tender/float charger and leaving it in the vehicle. http://batterytender.com/ or http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=12117

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: