Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to make a dent...not fix one?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: How to make a dent...not fix one? Reply with quote

I had posted a question earlier about my bus floor and how to make the flat indents for the seat mounts..no reply here, but the split bus people helped me out.

Now I am asking another question about how to make a dent....no not just a dent (I could have me 18 year old son show me that on his car). I want to mount a Wolfsburg emblem (from my '59 beetle, My first car) on the dash of my Bus. I want to mount it just below the passenger grab handle and have it recessed in (frenched?).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My question is, what would the best way to go about creating the recess?

I have limited experience in body work but I am very patient and a bit of a perfectionist. When explaining your suggestions please show examples of needed tools....the Snap-on guy loves me.

gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a MIG and look for reasons to use it, I would use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and cut-out a hole the same shape as the emblem, maybe an 1/8 larger. Then decide how much to recess it, and fabricate a piece of metal with sides equal to the desired recess depth. Then just weld it in and finish with some filler and paint. But that's just me.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark around the dash where you want the badge to be. Place the badge on a block of hardwood and mark its outer. do the same on a similar block. On one carve out the shape as a hollow. on the other carve the outer away thereby making one part fit into the other. Drill a hole through the centre of both and use a long bolt with washers or thread bar and nuts. Drill a corresponding hole in the dash. Male side of mould on outside, female side under dash, bolt the two together and gently squeeze the metal to shape using your mould. Probably wont even damage paint. Hope that makes sense, good luck!!
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would trace out the emblem.

Cut it out.

Then take some 8ga scrap metal and follow the edges of the badge and make the box/edge of it to your desired depth. Tack it place.. finish it up and paint..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DJ Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklee wrote:
mark around the dash where you want the badge to be. Place the badge on a block of hardwood and mark its outer. do the same on a similar block. On one carve out the shape as a hollow. on the other carve the outer away thereby making one part fit into the other. Drill a hole through the centre of both and use a long bolt with washers or thread bar and nuts. Drill a corresponding hole in the dash. Male side of mould on outside, female side under dash, bolt the two together and gently squeeze the metal to shape using your mould. Probably wont even damage paint. Hope that makes sense, good luck!!

That right there is the best option for a warpage free job. Might need to use metal dies if hardwood doesn't do it..
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklee wrote:

I like the way you think... that's a great idea.

I had thought about the hardwood on the under side, but I thought about gently tapping the metal into it. this seems like an even more controlled method. really it only needs to drop in about 3/16", but I feel that this way all edges will remain smooth. I am still at the primer stage so paint damage is not an issue.

Thanks for the input .

Gordo.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I was to attempt the hardwood press method, would a 4" square piece of wood cover enough area as to not distort the rest of the dash?

Gordo.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traced out a crest and carved one (male) out of aluminum. Then used HP Die Rubber (press brake type) instead of carving out a female. It took about 3 tons to press a 3/16 deep "dent" in a section of Oval Window Roof. This method not only cant be organized under a dash, it also leaves horrible creases. I think a bolt together design would work fine.

I would make a male/female with a draw bolt center. Similar to dimple dies. Then also incorporate a way to "clock" it so the male and female line up. I would use a 3/8 Gr8 bolt to draw them together.
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips. And in another ten years I'll get PAID to undo this atrocity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a scrap dash section to practice on first. I like the idea of making a buck or hardwood clamp/press. As long as it didnt deform the surrounding area
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please update this if you decide to do it.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was in Vancouver today and bought a good size hunk of hard wood. I will have to laminate the wood together to get a surface big enough to spread the load and not distort the dash (less the area being pressed).

As far as clocking the male/ female sections together , I plan on using two bolts which the holes in the dash will later act as the holes for the emblem tabs to go through.

I had thought at one point about not using hard wood, but using two part epoxy to make the press pieces, as it would be easier to for the dash shape while the epoxy was soft. I abandoned the idea after testing the pressing attributes of the hardened epoxy...not good.

Gordo.

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Please update this if you decide to do it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a dent...not fix one? Reply with quote

I would personally pass on doing this. There is a lot of strength in that panel because of the curves... you’ll have a tough time trying to press a nice, clean indentation for that crest...I’d just hang it on the wall in the garage.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a dent...not fix one? Reply with quote

press idea is smart but I think the metal is two thick and strong to stretch that much with out a lot of unwanted distortion.

Cut out method would work best
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: