Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas smell removal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

I had to swap a fuel pump on a van this weekend and the tank had more fuel in it than i anticipated. Gas sprayed everywhere until i covered the outlet with my thumb but while doing so i had fuel pour all the way down my arm to my torso. Several baths and several applications of fast orange didn't knock down the smell. What worked was smearing baking soda all over my arm/torso followed by pouring vinegar on it, as it bubbled i smeared it around like soap and rinsed and repeated a few times. I ran out of vinegar so substituted lemon juice the last round. The smell was barely noticeable on the last round, if you ever run into this problem give it a try.
The fuel tank access point in the vanagon lends itself to this problem unlike my aircooled vws..
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

Immediate rinsing with cold water is important. You dont want the fuel to absorb into your skin.
dont rinse with warm water, use cold. cold will keep your pores closed and reduce the fuel absorption. warm or hot water will open your pores and thus allow rapid absorption.

soap will help remove the oily part of the fuel, again use cold water.

Wear safety glasses as fuel will burn the eyes.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

Yeah, that's quite a challenge to remove. Same with the smell of PB Blaster. It got so I could no longer stand the smell, which is really saying something since I've spent a lifetime as a hobby mechanic around all kinds of chemicals used in the automotive world. Just one day I couldn't take it anymore. Switched to Liquid Wrench when I found it beat PB in several tests. Even beat my pricey Kroil!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yeah......... Same with the smell of PB Blaster. It got so I could no longer stand the smell.... Just one day I couldn't take it anymore. Switched to Liquid Wrench when I found it beat PB in several tests.
I had a clutch release problem as the tranny bearings for the fork pivot were seizing. Kept some PB on top of the frame near the charcoal canister and it was held in by some hoses. The stink even got inside and finally I tossed it. Glad to hear LW is better as I'll get rid of it in the garage too.

Duncan
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

Man, I'm with you guys with regards to PB Blaster. Can't take it anymore. I think it has something to do with association too. I usually am struggling with some frozen parts when I use it. We won't even talk about spraying it on something that has been heated with a torch!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

When working with fuel systems overhead, I wrap both wrists with a shop rag just in case. Does a good job keeping fuel out of your armpits.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Wear safety glasses as fuel will burn the eyes.

Something that we don't ever think about, but let my dad's experience with this be a warning: If you are below fuel lines and such, wear ear protection. Long story short, gasoline spurted out of the fuel line he was laying under and a little bit got into his ears, causing excruciating pain, that a trip to the ER couldn't resolve (three hours of painfully wasted time Rolling Eyes ).

Do not ever get gasoline in your ears!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

FWIW I find that straight Simple Green seems to work very well.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

Live with it.
It is like skunk, eventually is goes away or you become desensitized to it and no longer smell it.

Smile it could be far far far worse and be diesel!
The most horrid long lasting horrible smell in the world!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Live with it.

That is horrible advise, i hope that was a bad attempt at humor. Thankfully others have provided good input.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

No - thats why I mentioned it. Using it for long periods seemed to get me LESS able to deal with PB. On skunks, its funny. I think they are a welcome sign of summer - and rather enjoy a faint to moderate whiff of it on a warm summer night. My wife - not at all. Weird I rarely see one - like every ten years. But clearly they are around.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
No - thats why I mentioned it. Using it for long periods seemed to get me LESS able to deal with PB. On skunks, its funny. I think they are a welcome sign of summer - and rather enjoy a faint to moderate whiff of it on a warm summer night. My wife - not at all. Weird I rarely see one - like every ten years. But clearly they are around.

Red fox 🦊 have a musk that reminds me of skunk.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell removal Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
FWIW I find that straight Simple Green seems to work very well.

Agreed. I'm sure it's probably bad for me somehow too, but this works as well as anything else I've tried.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: