Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

super shakes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDub Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: super shakes Reply with quote

when i was getting on the freeway yesterday i had to haul ass to mearge with the 3lane to 1 lane on ramp, i took the turn pretty hard at about 45 and after the hard turn my car started to shake! now when i drive the steering wheel shakes. not as bad as i have seen buy bad enough to shake my arms when i drive . what makes a super shake? and what do i replace to make it stop???

thanks for any help
joe
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, That is Enough! He is Asking for Help, Not asking to be kicked around.

Seriously, if you have the "Super Shimmy", then you need to take a good hard look at your front end. "Super Shimmy" is where you get a vibration usually between 40 and 50 miles per hour. It will smooth out after that. This indicates a worn part or parts in the Front End, and the parts will need to be replaced, and the fornt end aligned. Do a search for Super Shimmy, and is has been discussed many times. There are great resources other places too, such as www.superbeetlesonly.com that have this down to a science.

Ignore the stupid comments that appear here, it is just someone getting off on Jacking someone up....
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly bent wheels or anything but a professional balance job on good, correct size tires could cause it too. Best to look at the small things first before rebuilding the whole front end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSwap
Samba Sublime Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering dampner.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link from a search I did.

it has some info and another link to another thread in one of my posts.

there is alot of old threads and info out there one these common subjects, use t the " advanced " search and you can narrow the subject down alot.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22239&highlight=super+shimmies

CRAPOLA! Shocked I always forget to add the link! Rolling Eyes Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if someone's a retard or not, rants don't belong here. The guy asked a legitimate question. There's a couple of guys on here who are making it a habit to post provocative and counterproductive responses to questions on the Super forum. Are you afraid to take on the shark tank? Please go play with the big boys in the Rants and leave the rest of the forums to people who need help with their cars.

I agree, make sure your tires are properly inflated and balanced before you start looking at the front end components. It might have been that on that sharp turn one of your tires lost a bit of air.
VeeDub Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the real help for those who post it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: