Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to prevent rodents from chewing wires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Time to get a garage built for your cars! One of those 2 car metal buildings will do. They're fairly cheap, the slab may cost the most. I won't regularly park any cars that I care about outside in the desert. Guaranteed to have rodent problems.

I hear ya Brandon...I already have two four car garages and a two garage and my DD's still sit out Rolling Eyes I need to be realistic and thin the herd. I'm getting to that less is more point in life...
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

Tall tale or not I don't know, they spray lion urine on the shinkansen tracks in Japan to keep the deer away. How the Japanese deer know about lions Rolling Eyes

Got any friends with a lion?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
oakman wrote:
Time to get a garage built for your cars! One of those 2 car metal buildings will do. They're fairly cheap, the slab may cost the most. I won't regularly park any cars that I care about outside in the desert. Guaranteed to have rodent problems.

I hear ya Brandon...I already have two four car garages and a two garage and my DD's still sit out Rolling Eyes I need to be realistic and thin the herd. I'm getting to that less is more point in life...

Me too Gary, I'm all the way down to two buses and two beetles now Smile

One thing I see where I live is folks who park their cars outside leave the hoods up. It is supposed to keep the pack rats from nesting under there.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

Ill note.....
Cayenne Pepper and Ultra Hot Sauce.. work to deter just about any wire gnawing animal ...

If you think you have a serious problem and you don't care about the whole humane thing on rodents.. Rolling Eyes .. build a roller log or walk the plank repeating mouse trap which drowns the little shitters in a bucket of water... or antifreeze

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Ill note.....
Cayenne Pepper and Ultra Hot Sauce.. work to deter just about any wire gnawing animal ...

If you think you have a serious problem and you don't care about the whole humane thing on rodents.. Rolling Eyes .. build a roller log or walk the plank repeating mouse trap which drowns the little shitters in a bucket of water... or antifreeze

There are a bunch of youtube videos on how to make these traps. Most of them involve a 5 gallon or larger plastic bucket.

Catch and release is pointless, and I'll just leave that there.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

Catch and release , they are home before you are.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

Call these guys.

EeVeeWee wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

This guy has an entire collection of traps, and videos showing them in use. Good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYbru-MPO1xjes4FVn61JUQ
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

Set snap traps they work quite well. Moth balls, repels all works and brother does it stink.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

Simple snap traps work best. Place them along walls since mice can't see for shit and they follow walls and such to find their way around. I rarely bait my traps, they just step into them.

Also, this stuff works. I use it in my camper and a few other places. No problems so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:

After a little research on pack rats, it looks they are omnivores, so I'm thinking thats what ate the kangaroo rat...I theorize the kangaroo rat was killed or injured in the trap two nights ago and the pack rat made a meal of him...

that could be the case for sure.

we had a mouse problem that was a non issue...until it was. long story short I never sealed a hole where our a/c line set goes into the house. needless to say after about 8 years we had a bit of an issue.

I went nuts with traps. thankfully they were in the basement where the line set ran. I sealed the hole...and made an interesting discovery. I caught one in a trap that was eaten like yours was. turns out when mice are stressed, they will eat each other.

I ended up using all sorts of traps...snap traps, glue traps etc. I could literally set a trap, walk upstairs and hear a *snap*. it got old....I set like 10 traps and then did the 'rolling log' trap. that worked very well.

so far, no more mice...this was about 4 years ago now. in terms of cars, they like the heat and dark. the other issue is some cars use soy based insulation on the wire harnesses....they LOVE that shit.

I put this stuff around the stone walls around the house.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tomcat-a..._vc=-10005

the 'rolling log' traps work great. for rats you need a good size tube for the "log" big enough so they can't grip it. also need something bigger than a 5 gallon bucket for rats.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

As I have recently discovered after evicting a mouse that ate up the wiring around a different marque's headlamp assembly, if you don't somehow eradicate their scent, other little f'ers will bee-line it right back to the same place. Somebody please tell me how to effectively erase their scent after they have already once set up shop in the car and chewed my I$HT up. I'm not trying to inadvertently invite generations of relatives to camp out in the same spot Confused. I've tried peppermint oil diluted in a spray bottle but it didn't work long-term.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Somebody please tell me how to effectively erase their scent after they have already once set up shop in the car and chewed my I$HT up. I'm not trying to inadvertently invite generations of relatives to camp out in the same spot Confused. I've tried peppermint oil diluted in a spray bottle but it didn't work long-term.

bleach will do it for ya. not only does it kill any of their nasty diseases but it will kill their scent trail too.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Bleach never occurred to me. Just rinse well Cool

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to prevent rodents from chewing wires Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
Tall tale or not I don't know, they spray lion urine on the shinkansen tracks in Japan to keep the deer away. How the Japanese deer know about lions Rolling Eyes
Got any friends with a lion?

in the uk we can buy 'silent roar' which is lion dung to keep cats off your garden and I see that peemart sell all sorts of urine from mountain lion, bear, bobcat, wolf etc!! Shocked

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: