Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 71 Super
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Thank you. Did some work on the Super today:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got to clean up the back end of the welds on it. Next weekend I’ll weld the apron in.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Did some welding on the car today.

07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Saw your post on SBO!

Looking good man. Cool I gotta replace my apron soon.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

TheAmazingDave wrote:
Saw your post on SBO!

Looking good man. Cool I gotta replace my apron soon.

Thanks! For the first time in like 4 years the front end of the car is in one piece. I feel like I have finally accomplished something.
07 Boxster
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

I haven't logged in on this site since April, so I just read all of your progress at once: you've done a lot!
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Tenor66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Fantastic dedication and progress! What’s the next step towards completion? Keep up the awesome work! Very Happy
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Tenor66 wrote:
Fantastic dedication and progress! What’s the next step towards completion? Keep up the awesome work! Very Happy

I haven't decided yet. I'm leaning towards replacing the passenger rear quarter. It's a complete mess. Then the rear apron.
07 Boxster
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:

Never planned on doing this much work to it. Planned on just sticking disc brakes, lowered struts and an engine in it. Was going to drive it a while then sell it. Quickly I found I couldn't just half ass it. The pans it had were save-able. They'd have been ugly though. The channels were save-able but again, ugly. The whole front end I could've ignored. Clearly the car drove that way for many years. I couldn't do it. I have the tools and the friends that could help. So I replaced the front quarter. When I'm done it'll be a fairly nice car. It'll never be perfect. Being a Super though, I can customize it and not feel guilty or hear anything from purists. There aren't too many Super Beetle purists. This is my 3rd Super. I'm trying to build the car I always wanted in the 80s and 90s and didn't have the money, tools, or talent to build.

Everytime I look at part of your thread I end up browsing through almost the whole thing again. It's so much fun seeing what you've done to this Super.

What a righteous save.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Thank you! I’ve got to get back to working on it. Been over a month. It’s cold here this time of year. Hard to get motivation. Especially when you grew up in Los Angeles. Just spent the week there. It was 85 and beautiful everyday. It was in the 20s here, wind chill in the single digits, and snow or sleet a few days. Glad I missed it.

While we were in LA I did get to do some VW stuff. I went to German Motorworks in Garden Grove. They specialize in Things, but had some other VWs around too. Talked to them for over an hour. Great people and I’ll be ordering from them from now on. Did some other VW stuff too. I’ll pribably post it in a separate thread. Took over 100 pics.
07 Boxster

Last edited by swhitcomb on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

It was finally warm enough to work on the Super yesterday. Started cleaning up welds and working on the right rear quarter mess. Got it a little straighter. Going to try and beat it into shape. If not I’ll cut it off and replace it. Also fit the new rear fenders and decklid. Put the stand offs on to see how they’d look. Next I think I’ll replace the rear apron and hang the new doors.

07 Boxster
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Swhitcomb: I read through the entire 17 pages of your thread and just have to say you are one dedicated guy for sure!! I did the same to a 71 super that I bought from my Uncle in 1986 that had much of the same rot in it (Car was from Connecticut) but not as extensive as yours. I see you sometimes feel bad that you had to stop working on the car but the breaks from working on it probably were good and kept you going. Well, you have definitely saved another one! I'm glad you didn't half a$$ the repairs either! It looks as though the worst is behind you so don't give up now!

I really look forward to seeing pics of the finished and driving car!! I hope you and your wife and family drive the hell out of it when it's done! Great work!
Jeff
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

jeff68 wrote:
Swhitcomb: I read through the entire 17 pages of your thread and just have to say you are one dedicated guy for sure!! I did the same to a 71 super that I bought from my Uncle in 1986 that had much of the same rot in it (Car was from Connecticut) but not as extensive as yours. I see you sometimes feel bad that you had to stop working on the car but the breaks from working on it probably were good and kept you going. Well, you have definitely saved another one! I'm glad you didn't half a$$ the repairs either! It looks as though the worst is behind you so don't give up now!

I really look forward to seeing pics of the finished and driving car!! I hope you and your wife and family drive the hell out of it when it's done! Great work!
Jeff

Thank you. Really means a lot to me. Hadn’t worked on it in several months and I’m sick of pushing it up and down the driveway. Sunday I was giving serious thought to selling it. I’ll slowly push through it.
07 Boxster
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

You're most welcome! No! don't sell it! I restored the 68 Beetle I have back in 1993. I have gone through periods of time (Once 6 years) when I didn't drive it due to life issues-no $$, going back to school, birth of kids, divorce, having to study to pass an engineering licensing exam, remarried & having another child, etc - you get it - but I kept the car and I'm so glad I did! As long as the car doesn't cause problems with your life / family keep going and finish it! The worst part of restoring the car is behind you so keep going!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

This Super Beetle is the epicenter of what is and what should never be. It is the threshold of the black hole. No one, ever, has made it past this point with the unwashed rusted wreck of an unworthy Super. You have trained your whole life for this push. The Thing and the Ghia in the background I assume are your priors. Worthy carriers of investment those two. Not this Super though. That modern speedster yours too? Admiration pulled from the uninitiated clods with no effort by that ride. Not this Super though. This project cannot be justified by external yardsticks or third-party rewards. It is the non-sequitur. You risk collapsing the space time continuum by completing this project, yet... it must be done. Your neighbors already hate you no doubt. No saving that now. Toss caution to the wind. Buy another spool of wire.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Or buy another donor car Twisted Evil
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Awesome drone pictures. I look forward to your pictures of the finished Super Duper parked in a sea of cars at some cruise or meet. That will be the crowning glory of this thread. Maybe a linked video from up high that floats down to a tour around the purring bug settling in on the exhaust note for a grand finale! Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
This Super Beetle is the epicenter of what is and what should never be. It is the threshold of the black hole. No one, ever, has made it past this point with the unwashed rusted wreck of an unworthy Super. You have trained your whole life for this push. The Thing and the Ghia in the background I assume are your priors. Worthy carriers of investment those two. Not this Super though. That modern speedster yours too? Admiration pulled from the uninitiated clods with no effort by that ride. Not this Super though. This project cannot be justified by external yardsticks or third-party rewards. It is the non-sequitur. You risk collapsing the space time continuum by completing this project, yet... it must be done. Your neighbors already hate you no doubt. No saving that now. Toss caution to the wind. Buy another spool of wire.

Love the comic relief. Ghia in the background is indeed mine. I got it from my Dad in 2009. He bought it used from Bob Smith VW in Hollywood CA in the really early 80s. In 1990 he did a minor Resto on it. Had it painted white from the original blue. The interior was redone too. I absolutely hated the interior. It just looked crappy, so a few years ago I finally redid it. In 2010 I pulled the engine and did a reseal and powder coated all the tin. A few years ago a friend of mine fixed some paint issues on it for me. I’ve cleaned some stuff up on it, added some of the trim it was missing, etc. But I can’t say I have done nearly as much to it as the Super. The Thing is my Wife’s. Bought it in 2011 as a running driving project. Put pans in it in 2012 and did some minor rust repair on the inner rockers. The color it is now was a quick rattle can job to get it all one color. I still have some minor rust repair to do on it before it gets a real paint job. The modern Speedster was my birthday present to myself back in 2013. Even it I’ve done some minor work to.

Anyway, today I ordered some 2k seam sealer and a kit from Masterseries that has the silver primer sealer and a quart of AG 111 satin chassis black. It’s going on all the inner fender wells and the bottom of the trunk.

So far I’ve gone through 10 lbs of mig, and I don’t remember how much shielding gas, but it’s more then 80 cf. This weekend I plan working on it. Not sure what I’ll do to it yet though. Rear apron? Finish the 1/4 panel? Start grinding and cleaning the previous welds? Not sure yet.

One question for you guys. The orange on the wheels has faded and I don’t like it. I’m going to redo them. I’m thinking of doing them in sliver vein. What do you guys think?
07 Boxster

Last edited by swhitcomb on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Awesome drone pictures. I look forward to your pictures of the finished Super Duper parked in a sea of cars at some cruise or meet. That will be the crowning glory of this thread. Maybe a linked video from up high that floats down to a tour around the purring bug settling in on the exhaust note for a grand finale! Cool

Thanks for the encouraging words. It really does mean a lot.

The drone is a new hobby. Just got it a little over a month ago and figure it would make some interesting shots of the Super’s progress. I really like the pics it takes.
07 Boxster
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
jeff68 wrote:

Jeff

Thank you. Really means a lot to me. Hadn’t worked on it in several months and I’m sick of pushing it up and down the driveway. Sunday I was giving serious thought to selling it. I’ll slowly push through it.

swhitcomb

Wow wow woo....you have done so much work on this old car....I agree...hope you drive the heck out of it too...I get weak most times and I sell most of my stuff before I get to drive them...I will be following along for sure...

MikeC
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: My new 71 Super Reply with quote

Worked on the car yesterday. Didn’t really get anything completed. Got the new quarter lined up and close to fitted. Didn’t want to weld it on yet. I have some masterseries on the way, and I want to coat some of the areas inside where it goes before I weld it in. So I moved onto the rear apron. Cut the old one out. The new one doesn’t fit well at all. I’ll have to do some working before I weld it. While I was there I noticed some rust on the drivers bumper bracket I miss. Scraped all the undercoat off and found bondo. Did some exploring on why there’s bondo there. To my surprise, there had been a fairly decent dent someone attacked with a slide hammer. So, more work ahead.
07 Boxster
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: