Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat operation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

Just got my 79’ Vert back on the road after a long storage. Never noticed this before but my thermostat doesn’t open fully in normal around town driving. It’s a nearly new Wahler 80-85C model. Tested it boiling water and it opens fully at 85C. I can hold the dipstick, which is actually a Gene Berg temperature indicator and the motor doesn’t smell hot. The flap linkages work correctly without any binding and engine sheet metal is in place. Outside temperature is about 70 degrees.
Is it possible that my engine is not getting fully up to temperature in around town driving?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

rzepko6194 wrote:
Is it possible that my engine is not getting fully up to temperature in around town driving?

Yes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser. Maybe I need to take a highway road trip to test a bit further. Wink
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

rzepko6194 wrote:
Thanks Cusser. Maybe I need to take a highway road trip to test a bit further. Wink

In Arizona "winters" of like 70F, I find that my VWs do not warm up readily in city/local driving.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

This should put your fears at rest:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705328&highlight=thermostat

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750891&highlight=thermostat

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

Interesting posts. Thanks busdaddy!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

Just shows the naysayers why it is NECESSARY to have a fully functional thermostat system.

Your engine will last a lot longer if it is not overcooled.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat operation Reply with quote

This is a GREAT example of why the thermostat is there, and should be left in place. Too cold is as bad as too hot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: