Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early or late?????
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glaab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Early or late????? Reply with quote

hello i am new to this site and just breaking in to the superbeetle scene. i have just purchased an 1972 super and well i was curious to if there is an early and late model of this year, and if so how can i tell which i have. any info would be greatly appreciated.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of a late 72', but I'm sure it's poss. Do you mean like a 72' with a curved windshield?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jessica
Samba Chat Whore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 72's come with curved windshields? Mine is a 72 but still has the flat windshield...
RIP RW

Quote:
MrBreeze: The snorklestang has no history. It was here before time began. Jesus himself drove that to high school
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glaab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: eary or late???? Reply with quote

seee that is why i was curious because i have seen 72's with flat and curved windshields so i was curious to the fact if that was a trait that had changed later in the year as production continued.
i have got a flat windshield. and i was looking at a new suspension set up for the front end and well the struts i was looking at say they fit the front end only thru July, so that is why i was really wondering as to if there was a early and late edition to the 72.
Jessica
Samba Chat Whore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be. I am almost positive the build date of my Bug is 1/72..but I can check on that later today and post. If that is when it was built, then I probably have the "early" 72.
RIP RW

Quote:
MrBreeze: The snorklestang has no history. It was here before time began. Jesus himself drove that to high school
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 1971 and 1972 model year Super Beetles had flat windshields. Curved windshields started with the 1973 model year. Of course, there were 1973s built 9/72 through 12/72.

FWIW, there was an early and late 1973 Super. The major difference related the type of strut suspension used.
oregonian52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slight interior difference with the 72 models. 72 Super and non-supers built Jan 1 1972 and after have the seat belt warning lamp in the dash and associated seat belt wiring.
Can that be classified as early and late model? Or just a running change that VW was famous for during the model runs.

70 Ghia
Glaab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all of the information as to the curved windshield and to why the struts i was looking at only fit the certain front end.
where do you find the build date for the car???
Jessica
Samba Chat Whore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To find the build date, look on the left (driver's side) doorjamb. There should be a sticker that looks something like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In this example of a sticker (from my owner's manual), the build date would be January of 1972. That is actually the build date of my car.
RIP RW

Quote:
Glaab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help jessica i am very appreciative of your assistance on this matter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: