Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 type 34 rebuild, with 64 donor car
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: 65 type 34 rebuild, with 64 donor car Reply with quote

So, here are some pics of the beginning of this. I've had this 34 for too long already, my client really wants me to make some progress on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it looked ok from 50 feet, and even not terrible up close, but we all knew there had been extensive bodywork

It had been wrecked pretty good on this corner

And the rockers had been skinned over to hold the rust in, and the rear wheel arch was missing. And after grinding off the half inch of bondo, the solid metal was dented and dinged to hell

There's more, but halloween is over so I'll put the scary pictures away. The rear end was deemed beyond repair, and progress stopped while I waited for a donor rear clip to show up. Low and behold, less than 20 minutes up I95 from my house:

And the nose is STRAIGHT!

Though some ding dong sawzalled a giant hole for some massive turn signals..

The heater channels have been repaired on the outside

but the floors seem pretty tight except for some surface rust, and a thin spot in the back. The rear is about as good as you can hope for, all solid, some wavy metal that is mostly hidden by the bumper. Rear wheel arches are 100%. Most importantly, Tim, the owner is happy again. Of course, the rear bumper isn't correct

The car had a type4 mated to an auto, with a rear engine bar added, you can se the rubber supports for the hangers here

I'm going to return it to wide 5 wheels with the swing axle, and am considering installing the type 4 with some sort of dual carbs. The 1500 for the 65 is in seized chunks, and the type 4 would make for a nice driver. Whoever did the work never got the wiring finished based on what I found, so I'm hoping that the engine was worth the work that they DID do, which was quite a lot..

Funny thing is, there are quite a few 34s here in Philadelphia. There are 2 in storage half a mile away. I had "heard about" 2 somewhere over in NJ, but car people can be so secretive about things, even cars they intend to do nothing with, and they just sit. These 2 sat for too long, and got sold off somehow, this is one of them. I'm told the other was maybe the donor for this, and was rough. A fellow I met recently picked this up, and parted some of it, and I took the shell to complete the 65 project. At this point, I'm leaning towards putting this body on the 65 pan, and changing the dash to keep the 65 larger speedometer. The doors and decklids for the 65 are in great shape, the interior can be made passable, so we'll see how things progress. All glass is safely stored with new rubber, that is in a box that appears to have been shipped from Tailand?!
the thread I started that has chassis #s for each car here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534251
in case you cared.
I'll add pics after I get it torn down and ready to be blasted. Will be nice to see it almost all bare;)
SD
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you use that sunroof clip off the yellow car
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan. Pick the best parts you have, and use them to make 1 good car. I'd also concider building a correct T-3 engine, as you'll probably spend a bunch of time trying to get the t-4 to work right, plus it'll look more correct in the car. A T-3 engine works very well in these cars. Cool

It does look like you've got a ton of work to do. I'm only going off of my own resto, and John Kanter's resto that he's been doing. Just keep in mind these cars hide their rust very well, and a good portion of them have been hit in 1 area or another, then repaired (sometimes good, and other times poorly). I got lucky with my own car, in that it was mostly complete, and came with a 1/2 quarter to fix some major crash damage. But, the replacement front clip had been smacked pretty hard, and bondoed up (poorly) without any attempt at fixing the dent (the PO's PO of it just punched holes in it (28 of them), and slicked it). However, the interior was shot from sitting in a field for 25+ years. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pics of the 1964 donor it appears to have already been pan-swapped with a late-model T3 with Automatic. Is the 1965 chassis original and worth saving/using for the restoration? Floorpans can be had from Gerson. And the electric sunroof 1964 body can easily be mounted to the 1965 chassis (if useable).

Thanks for sharing your project!
Let me know if you need help finding parts or advice that you can't find on theSamba.

LEE HEDGES
[email protected]
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, thanks for the info. About the vin #, I'm sure I got it correct, checked the body and the rear tunnel for both. I'll take a pic, so we can all guess how it ended up the way it did. I have to use the 65 pan, as it's the only one there is a title for, and, it is only a year off from the better yellow body. At least the car will be closer to original than it is now.. the down side is that without the original body, some of the sentimental value is lost. Oh well, it will be a much nicer car when done.

Whoever bought the car in the 90's did the pan swap, I'm guessing that there is a rusty 68 body somewhere with wide five wheels and a swing axle transmission. The one thing I didn't get with the yellow car is the speedometer, I didn't realize that the earlier car had a smaller diameter speedo. About the pans, is the type 34 pan the same as a fastback or notchback, or specific to the 34? The gerson panels are nice, though I'm hopeful that these will clean up and maybe only need the rear repair sections. Most of the rust is in the lowest areas where water pools. I'll be working on them this weekend and will post up some more pictures. SD
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small speedo was fitted to the 1962 to the early-1965 T34s. In the early-1965 timeframe the speedo diameter was enlarged and the cigar lighter was raised vertically two inches or so. Find one of the smaller speedos for 1964 is not too difficult but you'll need to look for these features: 100mph gauge, amber needle (if you're going with a 1964) or white needle (if you're going with an early-1965), and bronze center dial & inner round design.

The floorpan of the T34 is the same as the other same-year T3s with the exception of the seat rails (welded to the floorpan in T34s vs welded to the sides in T3s) and the rear seat metal frame that is welded to the chassis. There's no difference between the 1964 & 1965 chassis except that the 1964 hub cap logos are painted black. If all you need is partial rear floor pan parts then you can buy ISP West's rear panel sections for $75. Check out Thom Fitzpatrick's 1962 floorpan resto for pics & info on how he used 'em.

If you're going to use the 1965 chassis then I'd suggest removing the 1965 body VIN plate (spare tire well right-side area) and adding it to the 1964 body. That was your VIN plate numbers will match for registration purposes to your title. If you're missing the front aluminum VIN plate, we have a source for new ones that can be stamped with any VIN # you want.

Send me pics and I'll help you evaluate the T34s and have a much better idea of what you're planning. Email to [email protected] or call 760 845 8447 (San Diego CA) if you need instant answers.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cleaning out both cars, and boxing up lenses, bezels, hinges, and everything that could get lost, I had some time to study the VIN #s on the 64.
The tag on the front inner fender is original from what I can tell and the number is 0291215. The tunnel # is the same, so I start scraping around it. The VIN section has been welded into the later auto tunnel, so that the seams fall almost right under where the tarboard edges are. If I wasn't looking for it, I might have never noticed. This pan will be headed to the scrap heap after I plasma cut the floor sections out. The rear subframe is the same as any type 3 IRS right? That's the only part that might be worth saving for something right?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
This pan will be headed to the scrap heap after I plasma cut the floor sections out. The rear subframe is the same as any type 3 IRS right? That's the only part that might be worth saving for something right?

If they're really solid, this might be the way to go, otherwise I'd suggest the Gerson pans as an alternate. I used Squareback pans from Idaho on mine, and got lucky that there was only a couple of minor thin spots after sandblasting.

Yes, the rear subframe can be used under Squares, Fastbacks, and Notchbacks, or even under T-34 KGs. Keep in mind that the rear torsion bars are more sized for a Fastback, Notch, or T-34. The AT (IF it's really a T-3 unit) would also be worth hanging onto, along with the drive axles (they're different from MT axles), shifter, cable, and pedal cluster, as there are people out there looking for that stuff.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the vin under the tunnel.

I broke loose most of the bolts needed to separate the pan from the body, beam, and rear today. Bit of a bear, but they're loose, or soaking. Here's the drivers door hinge area on the clients 65. Note the vertical tear where it was crashed and crunched, and pulled apart. There's a pound of washers spacing all of the hinges and catches, and the door gaps are still all over the place. This is one of the reasons I'm not fixing this body.

Here's the 64 in front, and the 65 in the back. I honestly bet we ground 15 pounds of filler off of the 65. And there's still more there..

The dash of the 64. We are probably moving the dash from the 65, as we are taking it's wiring harness and speedometer, and want it to match the title year.

The previous owner half installed the later steering column, complete with a bundle of wire that goes everywhere for the fuel injection system.

These front turn signals are 34 only right? I seem to be missing one housing, and have one slightly broken lens. But, it'll be a while before I'm worried about that stuff, right?
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like someone hacked out the two front turn signal holes on the '64 to mount the '72-'74 model year Type 14 Karmann Ghia front turn signal housings. You probably need both front turn signal housings and lenses and will need to close up those ugly holes a bit and reshape the lower front fenders to match the curvature of the real Type 34 front turn signal housings.

It's never too early to start worrying about Type 34 parts. Even after 8 years of hunting I'm still looking for better examples for some things. Your client's car has a sunroof and you need to figure out what's missing right now.

The wiring harness in the '64 will have some additional wiring to support the electric sunroof motor. If you decide you need a new wiring harness, let me know ASAP because we are considering getting some more kits made.

It looks like you have most of the raw materials to create at least one good car. Please don't throw anything away because parts are scarce and sometimes reconditioning these parts is the only way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:

It's never too early to start worrying about Type 34 parts. Even after 8 years of hunting I'm still looking for better examples for some things. Your client's car has a sunroof and you need to figure out what's missing right now.

The wiring harness in the '64 will have some additional wiring to support the electric sunroof motor. If you decide you need a new wiring harness, let me know ASAP because we are considering getting some more kits made.

It looks like you have most of the raw materials to create at least one good car. Please don't throw anything away because parts are scarce and sometimes reconditioning these parts is the only way to go.

I agree completely with Greg on this. As a T-34 owner, I'm still looking for parts for my own car. And with only so many cars originally built, and with the way they rust, there's only so many parts out there available. And rebuilding original parts, IS sometimes the only way to go on these cars.

Greg and Scott (t3kg), were a big help to me, especially when it came to T-34 information, as there's not a lot out there on these cars. Shocked Jason (aka Notchboy) was also a big help, in dealing with some of the early pre-65 T-3 parts of the car (the 1500 club was a big help here too). The T-34 registry (and it's archives) was a help for rebuilding a lot of things, as the T-34 World archives are a little finiky for those of us with dial up internet. Wink Both sites are good though, and are a great resource for our cars. I also did some looking at the blogs that some of the members made of their cars, and that helped me avoid a few pitfalls on my own car. Shocked
My biggest advice for you though, is to try and learn as much about these cars as you can, especially before you get too far along, as they are completely on their own, and very different from a bug, or even a T-3 which they share their platform with. I only mention that, as I have 20+ years of T-3 ownership under my belt, and have rebuild several of them over the years, but when I dug into my own t-34, I knew I was in for a new learning curve.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How rare is the sunroof? I've gotten a lot of emails about it. The wiring is all in the body, intact. I have the switch in a safe place Very Happy
SD
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impossibly rare...maybe more like 'rather damn unusual'. ~15% or less of total production were sunroof cars, I think. I have a sunroof clip and a bunch of spare parts, much of which is new or NOS, so for me it's business as usual. Now if I can only find someone that can install the whole mess into my car without destroying it, then I'd be all set...

Anyway, if you are patient and wait for it, you can score some nice stuff. But It sounds like you don't have that luxury because this car is for a client. Scour ebay and you can find some Porsche 356 sunroof stuff that can be made to work on the Type 34...but then that stuff's rather damn unusual, as well.

You mentioned pulling wiring out of one car to use in another. Good luck with that because the outer casing of the wiring harness goes rock hard, essentially locking it into place at the 'dog-leg' horizontal rocker wiring tube to vertical hinge pillar wiring tube transition. You may get lucky with some heat in there to help get things moving, but I sure didn't. Twice. It will be best to just fix what you have by splicing wiring. You may find that's it's not too bad off.

As many others can attest, the car's great fun and you might never pass another on the road. Once done, and done right, your customer's in for a treat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find T34 parts on German eBay but they're not cheap...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see about the sunroof. The owner is coming over tomorrow night to go over everything, so we can agree on schedule and what gets what. I did finish unbolting the body from the pan and get it broken loose. It is remarkably solid. The real rust is in the heater channels, and at that, just the outer, and the inner wall that drops down over the outer edge of the floor pan. The door sills and inner is solid. Every bolt came loose easily. So, time to get it up on stands!
Who makes these parts? I messaged the member that posted these pics, but no response

I don't even need all of these.

Not too complicated if I have to make them, but faster to source them.
Thanks, SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics till I get better light in the shop, and the shell off of the body. But, a few discoveries. The 34 was dropped onto the auto pan quite some time ago, probably in the early 90's, based on some rumors I've heard. It had some body damage fixed, and an extensive respray. I can tell it was after the pan swap as there is yellow overspray on the floor and cobbled together seat brackets. The time line for the pan swap is based on one person's recollection of where it was and when, and registration records. Nice to have friends w access to records Very Happy The type 4 motor was swapped in by the last owner, and never fully sorted to run, or run correctly. So, at the present, I am using the spine of the auto pan to ferry the car around while I work on the body. Trying to figure out what to do with the 65 body, I need to get it off of the pan so work can start on that. Aside from the dash, and the front corners where the turn signals are, I'm afraid I might have no use for most of it. Luckily the doors, front and rear lids are stripped and primed, ready for the new body.
The body would almost be a fun race car project, it certainly looks good enough to be hauling ass down a track somewhere.. Hmmm
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, been a while, I'll have to get some pics up soon. I got the front of the car mostly stripped. There is some filler, but mostly down low, and right on the nose. for the most part, it will finish nicely. Some small bits of rust where the headlight buckets are welded into the front skin, same as on the other car, so I imagine it's just a poorly finished part. The inside of the trunk area has been coated with brush on roof coating. I really, really hate whoever did that right about now, but it is slowly coming off. The spray "freeze" then sandblasting seems to work for it, as well as the undercoating. I've got the rockers/ channels stripped, and the hinge pillars. Before I go any further I should remove hte aluminum trim on the windshield A pillars, but have no idea how to go about it. Any pointers? Pics to come soon..
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminum L-shaped trims that cover the A-pillars are nailed-in with upholstery tacks. Takes some effort to get underneath the nails to pull them out without destroying the delicate aluminum. But if you do, this area is hidden underneath the rubber seals.

Good luck & share more pics.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lee. I'll practice getting them off of the 65, and then the 62. Speaking of the 65, Really the only straight part of the car that I'm not using is the roof with front and rear pillars. I'll list it here, but please pass it on to anyone that might need the parts. More sandblasting tomorrow, and I'll take the camera this time.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
The aluminum L-shaped trims that cover the A-pillars are nailed-in with upholstery tacks. Takes some effort to get underneath the nails to pull them out without destroying the delicate aluminum. But if you do, this area is hidden underneath the rubber seals.

Good luck & share more pics.

On my 64, they were held in place with small phillips screws. I used a small flat chisle to crack them loose from the car, then just un-screwed them. Worked out great, as the hole and surrounding metal didn't get too distorted, and I was replacing the screws (I used #6 SS screws for replacements).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: