Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Auto Insurance - Full Coverage on 1985 Westfalia?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Mexican Auto Insurance - Full Coverage on 1985 Westfalia? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience insuring their vans in Mexico. I'm looking for full coverage for my 1985 Westfalia EJ25 conversion with a rough market value of $15,000. It seems that every provider I have looked at only offers liability for cars older than 15 years.

I realize that just like in the states the implied value of 20k won't be covered but I'd like to get something in the unfortunate event of a total loss.

Aside from that situation if anyone has recommendation on Mexican Auto Insurance companies I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Scott
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but your on your own down there. I take my 87 Vanagon on surf trips once a month and hope it comes back. I looked all over for full coverage, but no one would cover it.

The good news is that aaa will work in Mexico. That's a little help.

If you do find a company that will cover it, please post the info.

Good luck
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will find any short term insurance that will provide full coverage on and older vehicle. Many in the overlanding community have used Thum insurance as they will write a policy that will cover all of central America or all of any continent at a time which greatly simplifies long distance travel. Afaik they don't sell add on coverage though or short term policies. Good luck
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: AAA Reply with quote

Good call on AAA. I have never had it because I have towing insurance through my provider but I'll look in to that further.
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untill recently I never knew that US auto insurance does not cover your auto in Mexico.. I believe that with some companies you can add a rider on your policy but it's very limited. Strangly most US auto insurance will cover your rig in Canada.. Whats up wit-tat eha?

You can also purchase coverage in Mexico once you cross the Border. Not sure what it covers or how good it is?

I know a owner of a company that writes this type auto coverage. You can buy it for a short term use to cover the duration of your stay or for longer periods of time. I'm waiting for the company to send me their website info.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubNuts wrote:
Untill recently I never knew that US auto insurance does not cover your auto in Mexico.. I believe that with some companies you can add a rider on your policy but it's very limited. Strangly most US auto insurance will cover your rig in Canada.. Whats up wit-tat eha?

Canada is a first world country with a functioning legal system and respect for the rule of law. In other words, you can sue someone there and trust in the courts.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it still works this way, because I haven't had this done for awhile, but if you go to any AAA office in Southern California, you can buy Mexican insurance BEFORE you cross the border. Make SURE that the company you buy from via AAA (they have 2 or 3) will allow you to have collision or other repair damage done NORTH OF THE BORDER. Some will not. I took my Syncro Westy to Baja and got in a fender bender. Thanks be to God for AAA. Got the mexi adjuster to show up in Ensenada, filled out the forms, got an estimate from the body shop in San Diego that the mexi agent worked with and a few weeks later had a check in hand from Mexi insurance company in USD for the work.
Saved me a huge hassle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined Vagabondos del Mar and got a top drawer annual policy for just a few dollars more than 3 weeks coverage was going to cost. I've not had to make a claim but the organization is run by savvy baja travelers. Per topic though, could not get full coverage on my 84. But I could go to crab feeds with coots with large trailers at sacramento area KOAs in the baja off-season Cool .
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking online at AAA SoCal the Mexican insurance won't cover damage or loss to vehicles over 20 years old. I hope someone can come up with a way to get this coverage.

The potential for fraud is high so I understand why the companies would avoid this but there must be a way.

As of this year Mexican liability insurance is required in Baja. It used to be just a very good idea.

Mark

dixoncj wrote:
Not sure if it still works this way, because I haven't had this done for awhile, but if you go to any AAA office in Southern California, you can buy Mexican insurance BEFORE you cross the border......
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with a few specialty carriers and looked at several programs.

NO coverage for what you ask.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Appraisel Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Lewis & Lewis and I was told that if I got an appraisal they would insure if for that amount.

http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Appraisel Reply with quote

Thank you, that was the company name I was trying to remember from a couple years ago. Please let us know how it works out if you get such a policy from them.

Mark

scottjk wrote:
Just got off the phone with Lewis & Lewis and I was told that if I got an appraisal they would insure if for that amount.

kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Appraisel Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:

I'm taking my syncro to mexico soon and have mexican liability for it (sounds like a bad movie) but would like it covered for'agreed upon value' as well. So far all the options I've found require it to be garaged and driven less than 1000 miles a year, neither of which are feasible.

I do have a fair market value estimation from gowesty, but not a real appraisal.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive a junker to Mexico and don't worry about it, just buy liability before you go in. As said above 1 year policies are cheap compared to short term policies.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

I don't have a "Junker" that has off grid solar, shower, refrigerator, new EJ25, memory foam bed, Nokian tires, and a killer stereo. But thanks for the idea.

Just spoke to another provider. They got one of their underwriters to fully cover the van but now we are discussing value. She quoted NADA high retail at just over 10k. I'm trying to get at least 15k so it won't be a complete catastrophe during a total loss.

The following link comes recommended from the BajaNomad website. I'll keep everyone informed about how it all turns out.

http://www.bajabound.com/

ps. Just spoke to a national auto appraiser and it will run me $375 for a value report. Insurance is such a gamble.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Baja Bound Reply with quote

So I just got the email back from Baja Bound.

"So we got permission to insure for VW for 18,000. In case of a total loss HDI's appraisers in the U.S. will value your VW and if you have receipts like you mention that is what you would show them in time when the claim is reported. Also if any of your friends or yourself have an appraisal that would work perfectly when determining the value. They do take in account depreciation in case you have the appraisal done for example in 2008 then they would take those years that havegone by".

Looks promising. More than any other place I have spoken with. Cost of a 6 month policy is $326.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting... the insurance I purchased is through Baja Bound. I'll Email them and see if I can amend my policy.

2006 Subbie OBXT

scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Appraisal Documents Reply with quote

I'd heard about doing this for a different situation but I think this advice is excellent.

If you decide to have a professional appraisal done on your van take the written appraisal along with pictures of your van and seal them in an envelope. Then send it to yourself so in the event of a total loss you have dated documented proof of the appraisal with pictures that can be unsealed during the court process.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja Bound has already contacted they're underwriters and gotten a reply for me...

Quote:

Ace Seguros has allowed us to insure your VW for $25,000.
They did say that in case of a claim you would need to show these documents
to determine the value.

I supplied them a GoWesty value report ($20k) and some invoices for work performed. Still waiting for a premium.

2006 Subbie OBXT

floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I use Bajabound and really like them. Good to know for future use. Thanks guys for looking in to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: