Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Lever restoration how to 74-79 buses
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Heater Lever restoration how to 74-79 buses Reply with quote

Plastic photo-degrades over time. The heater levers on our buses are made of plastic. So over time they get what is called 'crazing' on the surface and turn brown from finger oils and dirt. But there is fresh new plastic just below the surface of that brown stuff. To get to it we need to remove the brown, crazed layer.

To do this I used some leftover bits from a 3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit that I have used on some of my other cars. The kit has everything in it needed to restore your heater levers, less a drill and some wax. Just follow the instructions in the kit for the lever. Have a look:

Here is what my knob looked like, its ugly I know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some of the parts of the headlight lens kit.

Note that I used some 3M rubbing compound as I had used all the polish that came in the kit on another project. It's the same thing.

Here is the knob during the sanding process. I recommend wet sanding on all stages of the sanding process. Also note that the more time you spend sanding the better the final result.

Here is how I polish

When you are all done following the instructions that came with the kit, apply some wax to the lever and then buff it with a soft cloth. Silicone wax works especially well on plastic and usually has a UV protector in it.

You can see that a good amount of crazing is still there on mine, but it is certainly better than it was!
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)

Last edited by tootype2crazy on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work there! What year did they become plastic? My 71 has a metal arm with rubber ends.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early bays are different. I don't know the exact year, can someone chime in?
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I found it. 68-73 have the metal-type lever. Beyond that it's all plastic. If I had the early bay I would spring for these:

http://www.mcjproducts.com/collections/bay-bus-products/products/bay-1968-1973-heater-levers

Them are awesome!
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: