Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Craigslist Vw junk parts scrounge.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I missed the part where it's stamped web 110! yeah, I bet that is exactly what it is. It could be useful for some purpose, but of course for what your doing there is probably a better choice.
As you can imagine the smaller base circle ought to require slightly longer pushrods, and it throws off the alignment of the oil grooves in the lifters/bore, which isn't ideal, but sometimes it is a good idea, like when tha cam is hitting your big stroker crank!
Odd ball stuff comes in handy sometimes, at least that's what I tell myself, you know how it is, soon as you get rid of it THEN you need one. Smile
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modok & Neil... I've been searching and reading and I think I get it now. it makes sense that the reground cam would be smaller in appearance while the Lift is there indeed. So that cam looks to be in good shape, I'll check it out further, Dont know if I will use it or not when I build this AE block, as I dont think I'll build anything big enough for that camshaft.
thanks again for the explanation.
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: cam base circle Reply with quote

Some web camshafts are ground with very small base circles. I have two webs like your's...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The round part of the cam is called the "base circle" it is not a critical specification. When a cam is re-ground the base circle gets smaller, because.... you know, the more you grind it the smaller it gets Wink
To measure wear you must measure the lift, and if you don't know what the lift was then it's hard to guess, but you can compare them to eachother, the #1/3 exhaust usually wears fastest

if you were to send Web a stock cam, and have them put a #119 profile on it, it would have a small base circle too, since that's what they have to do. I have half a dozen of reground factory cams, even a 218! that's a real POINTY one Laughing

so one would have to do some rocker arm geometry work in order to run this cam, either in pushrod length or different rocker arms ?
funny I always thought that a Re-ground cam was like welded and reground.. just an assumption that I made a long time ago Embarassed
Current Projects :
67 Westfalia
61 sedan
94 Harley Flstn
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The round part of the cam is called the "base circle" it is not a critical specification. When a cam is re-ground the base circle gets smaller, because.... you know, the more you grind it the smaller it gets Wink
To measure wear you must measure the lift, and if you don't know what the lift was then it's hard to guess, but you can compare them to eachother, the #1/3 exhaust usually wears fastest

if you were to send Web a stock cam, and have them put a #119 profile on it, it would have a small base circle too, since that's what they have to do. I have half a dozen of reground factory cams, even a 218! that's a real POINTY one Laughing
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The cam is not actually worn down, rather it has been reground once or twice, maybe to a different profile maybe not.

I'm confused.. but I'm open to suggestions. the Peaks or the base on that cam dont even measure up to the Stock cams I have on the bench. and when I first tore into the valve adjustment screws were All the way In like they couldnt get enough lift out of it and it had stock length chromally pushrods ( as compared to an old aluminum stocker )
Current Projects :
67 Westfalia
61 sedan
94 Harley Flstn
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky find.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam is not actually worn down, rather it has been reground once or twice, maybe to a different profile maybe not.
miketheblur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: parts Reply with quote

I really like that old school thunderbird glass pack. I think they were 1 1/2 inch tubing. Had them on a couple of cars and they make some good noise. Have fun with your parts its a great deal.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score for all of the parts you scored. lucky!!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Craigslist Vw junk parts scrounge. Reply with quote

Craigslist ad : Air Cooled VW Parts, engines, heads, carb, distributors .. etc.
I went over to look at the stuff the guy had and found that I wanted the Brosol / Solex H30/31 and possibly the distributors he had, he says he wants to get rid of ALL of it for $75.00. Sounds like a good deal but “ I gotta take ALL of this stuff ?”. So we unload his shed into my truck. I figure I can scrap this stuff and keep the Carb , Distributors and some assorted bits I might need for my project.
An AE long block ( says it’s a 1641,he and his son built it and it was running Hot from startup and cant figure it out), another AH block and a AJ block, several cranks, rods, bunch of junk cylinders and pistons, all the Tin for the AE and alternator with fan. 2 manifolds, extra flywheels, 2 clutches, some front end parts ,an old header with glasspack that looks good. boxes of old crap he should have pitched, but I gotta take it all cause that’s the deal.
I get all this crap home and unload it onto a shelve in the garage :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I finally get my other engine project finished and in the car and runs great so I decide to tear into the 1641 :

Pulling the Valve covers I first notice the Valve adjustment screws are screwed All the way in. this seems weird to me, but I continue, Pull the Rocker arm assemblies and notice it has chromolly pushrods. Not sure why but it does.
Next I pull the heads and they look okay, one is an original and the other is a Mexican 043. Pull the Pistons on 1 and 2 and they are indeed 87mm Mahle’s and look to be okay, wrist pins came out nice and easy on those. Get over to #3 and 4 and the wrist pins are tight but I got them out.
After I clean piston # 3 I Notice that the skirt is really Scuffed and then I notice the Arrow is Pointing the Wrong Way.
Here is what happens when you put the piston in with the arrow pointing the wrong way :

Finally get the Case Halves apart and crank and rods look good at first blush anyway, lifters look a little dished but might be okay :

Pull the Cam and Read on the End that it is a WebCam 110, look up the specs and think, wow that’s a bit of a Big cam for a basically stock engine! Why would anyone put a 110 in a stocker ? well it’s a vw reground cam I guess cause it’s a 3 rivet gear with VW numbers all over it.
But the cam looks funny to me for some reason.

I grab one of the old cams that came in the junk pile and yep there is really a difference:

Here’s some pics of the cam compared to an Old VW cam . This Webcam camshaft is Worn Down to the Nubbins! I guess that explains why the Adjusters were ALL the Way out on the rocker arm when I first dug into this mess.

old cam off the shelf:

webcam from the 1641 compared to the old one :

and side of the lobe old vw cam :

side lobe webcam with mic opening from the old vw:

has anybody ever seen a cam worn down this much?

I just wanted to share with you all that you never know what you are going to find in that Pile of VW parts we get ourselves into … and to Remember the Arrows on the Pistons !
Current Projects :
67 Westfalia
61 sedan
94 Harley Flstn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: