Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

I'm planning to install a Truckfridge and want to be able to power it using a solar panel that I plug into an exterior outlet. Has anyone installed the plugs in a plate on the now-available fridge vent, and if so, would you mind sharing the parts that you used? I'd of course like to keep the plug shielded from moisture and dirt but allow it to quick uncover so I can plug in the panel. Thanks!

- K
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

I installed an exit fan behind the vent - the Truckfridge needs very good air circulation over the compressor and condenser. There's eff-all room behind there with a TF65 - and a fan pulling air into the space from the old internal 'vent' is useful too. Buy quiet computer ones and you can't hear them.

Do you ever use 'City Water'? If not, that's the ideal place for an external solar connector.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Electop-Weatherproof-Universal-Flush-Mountable/dp/B07WCMX24L
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

Do you ever use 'City Water'? If not, that's the ideal place for an external solar connector.

Was about to suggest this as well
It's already got a weatherproof cover as well
GW has the complete assembly if you're not into crafting something.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

Actually here is a higher quality one (I think?)
https://www.zampsolar.com/solar-port

Also an option -
https://www.vanagonlife.com/vanagonshop/vents

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

I put two of the VL rear vents on our van and the GW city water replacement outlet box, all go to the aux batt with fuses so you could hook solar to any of them but we usually use the vents for lighting.

The GW box is probably the least work as you don't have to run wires to kind of an odd spot (up into the vent)

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

I ordered one from GoWesty for my Vanagon project. Looks just like one of the other utility covers. I already have a hole as I had installed an exhaust fan for the OG domestic fridge, don’t need it for the new Truckfridge. Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
[]
I already have a hole as I had installed an exhaust fan for the OG domestic fridge, don’t need it for the new Truckfridge. Hayden

If you wind up in >100°F heat then you might wish you'd kept that exhaust fan! My TF65 certainly benefits from one.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

I have the T49. I haven't heard any talk about requiring another fan with them. T65 must be much bigger and requires more cooling. I suppose, I could connect it up but.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

Here's what I recently did. Since I'd already converted the city water to external hose pump, and didn't want to cut the van to add a 4th box, I moved forward with using the unused already (poorly) covered up flue vent.

* Bought new GW flue vent block off plate: https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/20990/aluminum-block-off-plate-for-flue-vent-
* Bought two pack of SAE bulkhead connectors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081QXNPYP (mounted one inside for when I just put the portable panel in the front window instead of outside)
* Bought Victron SmartSolar controller: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NQQRPD
* I couldn't find a bulkhead connection that came out 90 degrees to allow for connecting without vent cover removal. so I drilled out flue vent cover screw holes slightly. Off angle, so that I could slightly unscrew the 3 screws that hold on the cover, then just twist and remove the cover to access the port without having to back all the screws all the way out and lose them.
* Overall, it works well and still looks stock as the flue cover is still on when not in use. Keeping the cover on also prevents people with messing with the port. (maybe)

Some pics:

Cheers
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar cable plug-in for the now-unused fridge vent Reply with quote

Smart idea!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: