Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rods Reply with quote

Beetspeed wrote:
snowbug wrote:
Wow looks good. Are you going to tell us the secret of putting those rods on the small diameter crank? Jim

My q as well, but I think 3rd or 4th oversize chevy rod bearings...3rd over is +0.75mm while chevy is 50.80mm (nominal = 50.00), so still 0.05mm short, which they used as extra play or simply went one size further and turned the crank a little...

We cut down the end caps on the rods then rebored to size, narrowed the rods to give .0018 side clearance and used 30 under chevy rod bearings. I am getting some raw H beam rods that haven't been machined yet. We are going to see if we can bore them to accept a standard bore 36 hp rod bearing. Both CB and AA have shown an interest in making 36 hp performance rods. I just need to send them my test rods

I want to thank Geoff Hart Performance and OLLIES Machine for helping me with this stupid idea I wanted to try

Ruined a couple rods trying to get this right. I have .00250 rod bearing clearance. I wanted .003 but just couldn't get it.

Next try will be HONDA rods with Mazda or Polaris jet ski pistons
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently got to see a WW cw crank, and was getting ready to use it on a project engine. it looked pretty good. all except for the threads for the gland nut. they were fine until about the last 3-4 full threads (toward the bottom of the hole), and then they started to look very rough and poorly cut. i threaded in, BY HAND, a stock 36hp gland nut and it hit the rough part of the threads and stopped turning at that point. there was clearly too much space between where the gland nut should be when fully tightened (with a flywheel on the crank) and the end of the dowel pins. i measured the gap, and if i recall there was about a 6mm difference to be made up. clearly this is unacceptable, as running the gland nut in any further would either damage the gland nut, the threads in the crank, or both. however, when the crank was returned to WW to be exchanged because of this, they ran a gland nut in (i am presuming all the way into the ugly threads) and said it would not be a problem, and would not exchange it for a better one. i have not received the crankshaft back yet, so i don't know what it will look like when it gets here.

has anyone else run into bad threads at the gland nut end? if so, what was your solution?

Last edited by hazetguy on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your having lot's of fun in the "offtime" Ronnie. Congrats on the prototype progress!

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rods Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:

We cut down the end caps on the rods then rebored to size, narrowed the rods to give .0018 side clearance and used 30 under chevy rod bearings. I am getting some raw H beam rods that haven't been machined yet. We are going to see if we can bore them to accept a standard bore 36 hp rod bearing. Both CB and AA have shown an interest in making 36 hp performance rods. I just need to send them my test rods

I want to thank Geoff Hart Performance and OLLIES Machine for helping me with this stupid idea I wanted to try

Ruined a couple rods trying to get this right. I have .00250 rod bearing clearance. I wanted .003 but just couldn't get it.

Next try will be HONDA rods with Mazda or Polaris jet ski pistons

Very cool!
I was thinking of (and have ordered) using a H-beam chinese type 4 rod, which has 50mm rod journal and comes in several lengths and 22mm pin size too. They are just way too wide, but it looks like they can be made to the required size due to the construction of the sides of the big end Smile .
I also need to try that out first though to be able to comment if it will really work. Just hope I don't screw one up either as before these 'cheap' rods are here and everything has been paid, you cannot call them cheap anymore..

Do the Honda rods your thinking of have the bolts on the 'right' side?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking into the idea of using 2.0 type 4 rods and those H beam seem like they would work, the material being taken of the part that projects from the H beam width... if you know what i mean.

Just wondering, what do you do with the bearings? do they get machined down too?
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
I was just looking into the idea of using 2.0 type 4 rods and those H beam seem like they would work, the material being taken of the part that projects from the H beam width... if you know what i mean.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean Cool
Quote:

Just wondering, what do you do with the bearings? do they get machined down too?

Yep, that's the intention anyways. It looks like the bearing tangs are just spared (enough) to still do their job.
But only trying it will show if this will work..

we're going OT tho Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Threads Reply with quote

Just checked my new WW crank, threads are perfect at both ends, no problem. Just need a good case to stuff it into. Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
Agreed Matthew. Since the 36hp Challenge began and 36hp cranks started going "where no man has gone before" in RPM's, and that is sustained high RPM's for a mile or more and we have never seen one break.

I believe the reason you and Tom Bruch, Blackline and others have no problems is you select good core 36hp cranks to begin with. A simple "ring" test of a suspended crank ( and that includes ALL crankshafts ) is almost as good, if not better than having a crank cracked checked by magnafluxing or other means. I think the 36hp Challenge racers have put to rest the myth about all 36hp cranks being weak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wolfsburg West 69.5mm new stroker crank. Photo by WW.

The beautiful part about the Wolfsburg West stroker crank is that it is new, eight doweled and easily available commercially from an extremely reputable Volkswagen parts supplier. You can't go wrong with the WW component.

Burly
Hi Burly, and others, I just started working on my 1300 again. Seems the dowel pins that came in the WW crank are soft. I am not sure how to get these soft pins out. I want to replace them with German VW hard pins. Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, contact Shaun Tunstill at WW and see if they might have a solution to your concern. WW provides contingency awards for Wolfsburg West Okrasa Kit racers at World of Speed and have every interest in making sure you will have success.

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: 356 flywheel Reply with quote

I am new to 36 old speed but, not new to VW engine building. I have been gathering parts to build a nice 36 for my new project a Standard Zwitter. My question is has anyone used a new forged lightened flywheel as seen for sale on ebay. Go to ebay motors search 356 flywheel. It comes up for sale from kokoparts. The add states it will work with any 200 MM VW clutch kit. This flywheel looks to be a direct bolt on to a 36 crank. Also since it is lightened, case clearance looks to be no problem. I plan to use a WW 69.5 crank with their Okrasa repo kit. So the crank and flywheel should be a good combination, both 8 dowel? Thanks for any response or help.
Bob
'63 OG 117
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

I suspect it's made by AA Performance. If so, Splitpile has worked with them. I suggest you PM him.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i recently got to see a WW cw crank, and was getting ready to use it on a project engine. it looked pretty good. all except for the threads for the gland nut. they were fine until about the last 3-4 full threads (toward the bottom of the hole), and then they started to look very rough and poorly cut. i threaded in, BY HAND, a stock 36hp gland nut and it hit the rough part of the threads and stopped turning at that point. there was clearly too much space between where the gland nut should be when fully tightened (with a flywheel on the crank) and the end of the dowel pins. i measured the gap, and if i recall there was about a 6mm difference to be made up. clearly this is unacceptable, as running the gland nut in any further would either damage the gland nut, the threads in the crank, or both. however, when the crank was returned to WW to be exchanged because of this, they ran a gland nut in (i am presuming all the way into the ugly threads) and said it would not be a problem, and would not exchange it for a better one. i have not received the crankshaft back yet, so i don't know what it will look like when it gets here.

has anyone else run into bad threads at the gland nut end? if so, what was your solution?
Are you trying to put a 1600 gland nut on a 36hp crank? They are different. Some sellers say they are the same part number but they are not. 36hp is shorter.
vwtestpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 356 flywheel Reply with quote

Robert Chambers wrote:
I am new to 36 old speed but, not new to VW engine building. I have been gathering parts to build a nice 36 for my new project a Standard Zwitter. My question is has anyone used a new forged lightened flywheel as seen for sale on ebay. Go to ebay motors search 356 flywheel. It comes up for sale from kokoparts. The add states it will work with any 200 MM VW clutch kit. This flywheel looks to be a direct bolt on to a 36 crank. Also since it is lightened, case clearance looks to be no problem. I plan to use a WW 69.5 crank with their Okrasa repo kit. So the crank and flywheel should be a good combination, both 8 dowel? Thanks for any response or help.
Bob

Hi Bob,

If you or anybody else is still looking for the answer, I bought one of those,they are from AA. The only issue I had was that I had to machine the center hole about 0.5mm so the 36hp gland nut would fit.

I still have not assembled the engine, so I dont know if the 12lb flywheel is going to be too light compared to the original 18lb one.

And yes, i am using it with a WW crank.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 356 flywheel Reply with quote

vwtestpilot wrote:
Robert Chambers wrote:
Bob

Hi Bob,

If you or anybody else is still looking for the answer, I bought one of those,they are from AA. The only issue I had was that I had to machine the center hole about 0.5mm so the 36hp gland nut would fit.

I still have not assembled the engine, so I dont know if the 12lb flywheel is going to be too light compared to the original 18lb one.

And yes, i am using it with a WW crank.

Thanks for your response. I will check on the size for the gland nut fit.
Cheers,
Bob
'63 OG 117
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The balancer called to say he's ready balancing my 69,5 mm WW crank (+flywheel+clutch). He said it was very un-balanced to start with, despite it had holes that did look like balancing holes.

Thus: don't forget to balance your WW crank if you want a smooth running engine!

Other than that I think the crank looks nice. No problems with the threads.
58Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, does this crank require any internal case clearancing?
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58Blue wrote:
Just curious, does this crank require any internal case clearancing?
Crank spins freely in the case without rods. The instructions state to clear the rod cap by the threaded part .
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing: stock pistons need to be machined to not hit the counterweights. I will post instructions on my blog as soon as I am ready. I promise to write in english this time Smile

http://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobiasax wrote:
Another thing: stock pistons need to be machined to not hit the counterweights. I will post instructions on my blog as soon as I am ready. I promise to write in english this time Smile

http://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se
I also have 2 different 36hp cylinders. One is short and one has a longer skirt that fits into the case. The common ones are short. Will not be using the longer cylinders but I will check the clearance on the longer ones too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is what I did:

http://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se/2014/04/piston-clearance-for-695-mm-ww-crank.html

To put it short: I did the "Okrasa"-modification plus 4 mm shorter skirt.

Anyone got the WW pistons to compare? From the pictures it seems as they have arrived at similar dimensions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: