Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seals
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saltfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Seals Reply with quote

I'm going to replace all my window and body seals. Who's got the best kits for the loot and completeness? Thanks, -K-
PS, Oh yea, for my '78 bus
'61 Double-Door Panel (Sold)
'78 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'66 Panel (Sold)
'70 Fasty (Sold)
'70 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'68 Type 3 Fastback (Sold)
'69 Bus (On tour somewhere)
'70 Fastback (Sold)
'59 NSU Prinz!!! (On a racetrack someday in my dreams)
'66 Buick Wildcat (Sold)

"Come to kindly terms with your Ass for it bears you" - J. Muir
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the German body seal kit from Go Westy and they fit pretty well. I don't know if there is a better deal out there or not. I think they were a couple of hundred bucks for the bunch of them (3 doors, rear hatch, engine bay door). Everything is water and wind tight now. Make sure you have plenty of adhesive (like 7 tubes) and masking tape for the install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy , did you do your windshield too?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PO just replaced the windshield and seal after fixing the rust at the bottom of the windshield, and prior to the repaint. That all happened before I got my bus.

Someone out there sells a slightly larger windshield seal that extends down a squeak further (like 1/4"). I think it might be the bus depot or someone like that. If I were going to do it, I would buy that one. It would help hide any repairs done in that area.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just av little nervous about putting it in because it's curved and all...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Someone out there sells a slightly larger windshield seal that extends down a squeak further (like 1/4"). I think it might be the bus depot or someone like that. If I were going to do it, I would buy that one. It would help hide any repairs done in that area.

The Genuine VW Brazil seal is the one that isn't the exact OEM shape and you have to be extra careful with it.

The best seal is the German OE seal 211-845-121D ($38.90) that OEVeedub sells. It's not a VW seal but it's made with Metzler EPDM rubber and is OE shape, fits the best and is the easiest to install.

Please don't flame me that this seal is twice the cost and isn't worth it. I'm simply passing this info along having bought and installed this seal and having read many stories about broken windshields.
saltfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Windshield Seal Reply with quote

Seems to me that a $40 dollar seal is worth not breaking a windshield that is worth better than a c-note. I'm calling OE when I do mine. Later, -K-
'61 Double-Door Panel (Sold)
'78 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'66 Panel (Sold)
'70 Fasty (Sold)
'70 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'68 Type 3 Fastback (Sold)
'69 Bus (On tour somewhere)
'70 Fastback (Sold)
'59 NSU Prinz!!! (On a racetrack someday in my dreams)
'66 Buick Wildcat (Sold)

"Come to kindly terms with your Ass for it bears you" - J. Muir
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are right. I would buy a good seal (I have had good luck with the German made ones) to install a new windshield. I must have had one of those brain farts happening. It happens more often than you would think.

Not breaking the glass, and not having to do it again would be more than worth whatever a seal costs (IMO). Buy a good one and never have to do it again has some value to me. I didn't have to do the window seals though, the PO did those.

How do you guys keep your door and window seals in good condition? Amorall? "Back to Black"?

I had to wipe down the window seals with a little paint thinner to get rid of some paint overspray that was on them and then I used some Armorall to bring them back to a nice shine and keep them pliable. Got any thoughts on that?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic came up on the type2 list earlier this year. See the post:

- boiled linseed oil
- glycerin and talc
- Armorall (silicone based)

Anything based on petroleum distillates will eat the rubber after making it shiny. FYI.

I'm using a BMW product called Gummi Pflage (my seals are only a few months old and I can't advise on the effectiveness yet). It's sold at the dealer and protects the rubber from UV and keeps it supple.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure whatit's base is but I use that 2000 stuff in the flourescent green bottle.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

busrocker71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfsburg west sells seals for the entire body and windows...i think for all years aircooled. i met them all and they are all really nice guys. give them a call and they will be happy to help with any questions you might have.
www.wolfsburgwest.com
cheers
omar
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to clarify. I know where to get seals and what sealant to use. My question is how hard is it to replace the seal on a bay bus becayuse it is a curved windshield opposed to a splits flat glass.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Last edited by crofty on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Crofty,

You need to get ahold of nodtobob down in Santa Barbara and get him to do it. That guy has this chore down to an art!

You could meet at Big Sur.

To be serious, I don't think the curve is a big deal. Get a helper, a good seal, and a nice day. Letting the new seal warm up in the sun is a plus. You will be done in a half an hour.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53517

Think how good you will feel when it is done!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty straightforward. I did all the seals in my '65 by myself. It sounds like I can do this too!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Wolfsburg West seals over any other brand I have installed. They fit right!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: