Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for Dashpot for 30/31 pict pictures or products
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
caramelcode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Looking for Dashpot for 30/31 pict pictures or products Reply with quote

Hello!
I've been having problems with my engine stalling while decelerating. For example when I'm coming to a stop sign, the engine slows way down, and I have to quickly take my foot of the brake and tap the accelerator to keep from stalling.

After doing some forum searching on here I found that one of the ways to prevent this from happening was a Dashpot. It sounds like exactly what I need.

However I have two problems:
1. I can't find any pictures of a Dashpot installed on a Solex 30/31 PICT carb for a 1970 stock engine. Anyone have a Dashpot installed they can take a picture of? Or can find one? So far my searches aren't turning up much. I've found a few pictues but they are at a distance, so you can't really see how it's mounted.

2. Where would I find a dashpot for sale? I've searched the major parts sites for "dashpot" and they all return no results. Is there another term that they might be known as? Does anyone know where I can find one for sale?

Finally, if I can't find any Dashpots for sale, or there is no way to mount one on my type of carb, is there another solution that might work to keep the engine from stalling on deceleration?

Thank you!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a pic I found in the galley. It just mounts to the top screws left side of carb. I don't recall seeing one on a 30 series carb, your carb should not need to to keep it from stalling.
You must have something else going on.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to take the throttle arm off of a 34 pict for it work but he dash pot does mount right up. Besides a tune up -- checking plugs and the like -- a working throttle positioner would also help.

You would find them in the classifieds. Search dash pot , smog parts, carb parts and carb core. But as CC said, it would help that carb but it was only designed to work with a throttle positioner.

BTW, do you know that your manifold heat thingies are clear of carbon and getting hot? (btw these get very hot so only check with wet fingers for less than a second).
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with one almost exactly like the one in the photo, but the carb is a 34 PICT which I belive is correct for a 1970. It prevents the throttle from snapping shut suddenly... kind of like a screen door closer. My engine only stalls like you describe when the idle jet becomes clogged, which is about twice a year Wink

Paul
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a tuning problem with carb or could be timing. The dash pot was put on these carbs for emission control. When a throttle is closed quickly, CO and HC goes way up. A carb does not need this to function properly.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wrestled w/a similar stall problem, but had other issues also, such as fast idle and I couldn't adjust the carb properly.
Ended up being a leaky manifold boot.
Purrs like a well oiled sewing machine now Very Happy
If you can't adjust the problem out via the carb settings, check & double check for vaccum leaks.
Good luck
Dave
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe knows more than I ever will, I usually think he's right, but I disagree on this issue.

Agreed that you need a tune up -- checking for manifold leaks, weak spark, fouled plugs and the like.

I also think that the 30/31 was designed to work with a throttle positioner. And having one improves performance, increases tuneability and even has a modest improvement on engine life.

Unlike the the 30 pict 1 & 2, the 30/31 is designed for low emissions -- the drillings / air passages and the like look very much the the 34 pict. Both the throttle positioner (TP) and the dash pot keep the butterfly open when you ease up or take you foot off the pedal. If you don't have either, when you take you foot off pedal, the butterfly snaps shut, the gas in the manifold falls out of suspension and your combustion chamber is full of gas. Running rich is bad for the environment, bad for your rings/cylinders and other engine parts.

If you are getting the occasional backfire when you let off the gas (and you don't have a exhaust leak) this means your are running too rich when slowing down and a TP will help.

The dash pot and TP were introduced to reduce emissions -- and they both improve performance. The IRS trans replaced the swing axle to improve vehicle safety -- and IRS has many benefits over swing axle. Just because something was introduced to reduce smog or increase safety doesn't mean it harms performance. Granted, the TP makes it more difficult to tune the car -- but once you get a feel for it you will find that allows you to dial in a better state of tune.

One of these days I'm going to write a long post in praise of smog equipment. Some smog equipment -- the DVDA, the 1974 egr -- does hurt performance. Other smog equipment -- the TP, Dash pot, vapor canister -- make the car more pleasant to drive.
caramelcode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the awesome info and suggestions!

Sounds like my carb needs a tune up.

The reason I thought I might need a dashpot was after reading this post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4873683#4873683

"I noticed that on deceleration the idle would dip very low and even stall, so I added a dashpot and remedied that problem."

Since it was for a 1970 I figured it would be close to mine, I didn't notice that it was for a 34 pict

But then I also found this post that also recommends checking for vacuum leaks and or adjusting the idle screw.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3976034

Thanks for the tip about a throttle positioner! my carb is definitely missing that, I'll post a pic when I'm back from vacation.

So here's what I'm going to try:
1. check for vacuum leeks, and clean.
2. add a throttle positioner
3. tune up.

I'll update how it goes.
Thanks!
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Brosol H30/31 - much info available on tuning that one, which in practice is a replacement for the 30 PICT but functions a bit more like the two-screw 34 PICT. I too had the same symptoms, but have improved the issue by doing two things - pulling and cleaning the idle jet (a pain because of its angle) and adjusting the choke element.

On warm up it occasionally still drops to an idle lower than I would like, but I think it's a compromise between the ambient temp/engine warm-up and the choke heat position. As suggested though, track down any vacuum leaks before performing tuning procedures.
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30/31 is a small carb, ie Lean for a 1600, out of the box. I have to move up a step on the idle jet and most of the time a step on the main jet. The accell pump should be checked for volume and proper aiming. I aim them so the stream does NOT hit the butterfly, makes for better response. These carbs can do this without the decel device as the mixer goes nuts when the throttle is closed suddenly, this device cures that. But is not needed if the carb is dialed in right for the motor.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
caramelcode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Just an update in case anyone searching for the same problem comes across this.

You guys were right, what I really needed was a carb tune up, and that fixed the problem!
Here's what I did.
1. Remove and clean idle volumn and richness jets
2. Cleaned the other two idle jets.
3. Cleaned the needle and seat
4. Drained and cleaned out the bowl, it was pretty dirty at the bottom.
5. Flushed and cleaned out the accelerator nozzle
6. Adjusted the idle screws based on a guide

Now it's idling beautifly and I can decelerate rapidly without the engine stalling, yay! Very Happy
Thanks for your help!
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dashpot for 30/31 pict pictures or products Reply with quote

Several opinions have been posted (on this 'old' thread, as well as other ones from time to time dealing with the frustrating 34 PICT-3 idling problem) as to the fact that this carb idle-adjustment dashpot is no longer either made or available as a 'new manufactured' part. They certainly are available as (well) used items taken off Solex 34 PICT-3 type carbs, but most are in sad or unusable condition after years of use. However, I recently spotted a CARTER manufactured item (that may well be new 'old' stock, I'm uncertain), but I just snagged two new Carter-mfd examples for Solex VW 1.6 liter carbs on eBay (see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182738751356). Bottom line: if you want a 'new' one, don't lose hope. They are available from time to time as new 'old' stock (probably best found on Evil-Bay!)! May the Force be with your old Solex 34 PICT-3 carb! Very Happy

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: