Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Refurbushed Windsheild Wiper System put in. Reply with quote

Well, as mentioned, I decided I was NOT going to refurbish the motor for our wiper system myself.

Our Late 1967 12-volt motor was fairly different from any/all threads I found concerning refurbishing the motors, but to be honest, when I opened it up (a couple days before Christmas), I decided I didn't have it in me to mess with it right now.

So, thanks to the excellent work of DL West-Wiperguy ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1086158 )
the entire system came back in the mail yesterday, ready to be installed.
His prices, I believe, are fair and worthwhile and he has the experience and craftsmanship to do the job right.

Had an entire wiper shaft kit from WolfsburgWest sent over as well, so DL refurbished the motor as well as installed the new wiper shafts for me.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211998111B

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Installation of the system was as quick and easy as removing it.

One thing that I found interesting was that the old rubber washer-grommets that go through the body of the car were a single piece, unlike the new ones which are two separate pieces. Not sure if these old ones were original, or if they had been replaced sometime within the last 45 years.

The motor is SO much quieter than I ever it remember it being (had been experiencing a terrible screeching sound for years when using the wipers.
Also, I had been waiting for years to get both wiper arms back on; the spindle shaft on the left side was so badly worn, that the arms couldn't grip onto it any longer.
Rain predicted for the Bay Area of California tonight, time to try out the new system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pic of the sheep is flippin cute! Reminds me of being a kid at the petting zoo and trying not to get bit holding the ice cream cone thingy full of kibble. Smile

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Nikita. Cats of color! And cool bus story too.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
I like Nikita. Cats of color! And cool bus story too.

Thanks SueBug.
Yeah; Nikita's great (always our quality control on parts we order; see below).
Looks like you've a great (inquisitive) cat too...

If Nikita wasn't so jumpy of a cat, I'd see if she'd enjoy riding in the Westfalia, but she really prefers slow, steady routine at home, playtime, and snacks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Front Bumper License Plate Placement and Hardware Reply with quote

Hello again.

Stopped my self by making a whole thread of this (partially in case my searches weren't complete enough for the answers I am looking for).

Below is the before and after of our front bumper.

The hardware that had held on our front license for for 45 years was too old/brittle to be returned after the refurb. of the bumpers, but I'd like to put our front plate back on.

Does anyone know where I can get the same type of hardware as I had before? I think I'd prefer the type pictured to screwing into the holes provided on the bumper. They had rubber behind the band to protect the bumper.

skinnerclassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper License Plate Placement and Hardware Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Hello again.

Stopped my self by making a whole thread of this (partially in case my searches weren't complete enough for the answers I am looking for).

Below is the before and after of our front bumper.

The hardware that had held on our front license for for 45 years was too old/brittle to be returned after the refurb. of the bumpers, but I'd like to put our front plate back on.

Does anyone know where I can get the same type of hardware as I had before? I think I'd prefer the type pictured to screwing into the holes provided on the bumper. They had rubber behind the band to protect the bumper.

I have a nice lic. plate bracket that will fit the front bumper holes perfectly. A couple rubber grommet's in between the bracket and fresh paint and it'll be mounted correctly. I'll give it to you when I see you again Bryce. Unless you want me to mail it to you? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper License Plate Placement and Hardware Reply with quote

skinnerclassics wrote:
I'll give it to you when I see you again Bryce. Unless you want me to mail it to you? Very Happy

Skinner; please hold onto it. I'll be in next month! Thanks.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper License Plate Placement and Hardware Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
skinnerclassics wrote:
I'll give it to you when I see you again Bryce. Unless you want me to mail it to you? Very Happy

I have those same straps you had as well. You are welcome to them to. Your choice. Let me know either way and I can picture them. Otherwise I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skinnerclassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper License Plate Placement and Hardware Reply with quote

66311 wrote:
DadaCheese wrote:
skinnerclassics wrote:

I have those same straps you had as well. You are welcome to them to. Your choice. Let me know either way and I can picture them. Otherwise I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them.

Post a pic "66311" and I will do the same. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skinnerclassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper License Plate Placement and Hardware Reply with quote

66311 wrote:
DadaCheese wrote:
skinnerclassics wrote:

Post a pic "66311" and I will do the same. Thanks!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of 4 these are matched. Both have "24" stamped on them. Looks like speckled with over spray. Nice rubber and metal if cleaned. Check my photos for 3 more shots.
Brian
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find clamps like that at ACE Hardware.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a heads up, i have heard that the retro sound new radios that look vitage are great, and worth the money, but i have also heard they tend to burn up quickly. dont have much info on it, but since i decided not to put a radio in my bus, and just run the amp to speakers with my ipod, i stopped looking into it.

love the bus, and enjoyed the story VERY much.

also, you Californians may not know this, but RAIN-x is a MAGICAL item i use up in the Seattle weather Very Happy...makes wipers nearly obsolete. use it on all your windows, and driving in the rain becomes a game Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66311 wrote:

Hey 66311 (great name, btw), thanks. Let's see if Skinner has the same ones or not, since I'll be seeing him next month. If not, I may take you up on your kind offer...

plane_ben wrote:
You can find clamps like that at ACE Hardware.

Plane Ben; also thanks... I may check there the next time I am at Ace.

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
just a heads up, i have heard that the retro sound new radios that look vitage are great, and worth the money, but i have also heard they tend to burn up quickly...

Stuartzickefoose; this is very good to know, as I'd hate to pay a pretty penny and have it go out in too short of time afterwards... I am e-mailing with another Samba member who may be kind enough to look at/refurb my " '67 Emden, made by either Blaupunkt or Grundig" radio, which if it still works, listening to classical and public radio in monotone would make me pretty happy actually...

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
also, you Californians may not know this, but RAIN-x is a MAGICAL item i use up in the Seattle weather

RainX; yep. Magical stuff. Even turned our German friends onto it many years back.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a guy i saw once who used a stock radio, and with one mod to the wiring, threw an MP3 jack into the stock radio....look into it, because then you can play an ipod with a monotone. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
a stock radio, and with one mod to the wiring, threw an MP3 jack into the stock radio....then you can play an ipod with a monotone. Wink

Yes; tie into the circuit right at the preamp in. It's kinda easy if you follow the tuner "out" wire as it enters the circuits. No switch is required as the higher power signal from the mp3 headphone output will override any tuner input: just slightly off-tune any strong radio station. Use an RCA with the center on the main wire and the outside to the radio chassis.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: "Keys" Reply with quote

More musings/questions...

Been lurking through the classifieds to find a '67 (late '67) lockable engine deck lid latch.

My main question is; how do I know that what I buy (in advance of buying one) will be able to be re-keyed to the rest of my locks?

Currently, I have a terrible after-market one (for the engine compartment) that I bought in the 1980's.
Ultimately, I'd naturally like a single key for everything, and hope/plan to send all my locks off to one of the fine folks here on theSamba which do that service.
This year, is the goal for this small(er) project.

SO; my questions:
    How do I know/what to ask a seller to make sure it's something that can/will be re-keyed properly?
    Any of you have favorite folks to do the re-key job?ove to get your suggestions)

TANGENT ~
Whenever I think of "keys" I think of a stanza from this popular 1980's band/song. Jawoll (band name) with their hit single; "Taxi".
Sorry that the taxi they are in is a Mercedes.

Link

When the male singer says; "doch ich brauch' den Kies - Kies, kies, kies..." It is not "keys" he is saying (which would be Schlüssel, or more deutlich: berührungsloser Schlüssel), no he's saying "Kies" which besides a literal definition of gravel is actually slang for money.
Yeah; German degree still rattling around my brain...
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dada, seeing as how you're in the Bay Area, get a hold of Kevin at Dormatic Key & Lock (total bus guy and Shasta vet). He'll be able to sort you out with respect to the decklid latch.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
Dada, seeing as how you're in the Bay Area, get a hold of Kevin at Dormatic Key & Lock (total bus guy and Shasta vet). He'll be able to sort you out with respect to the decklid latch.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6917

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh.

"Tangent" implies that at least one point in space touches the line of the original circle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 47

Jump to: