Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: More stupid questions from DadaCheese. Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

Please see the picture above.
My old seals were/had been cut at the corner(s) of where the seal meets the rear apron.

Question 2: Is that common? Cutting the seal at the corners for ease?
If the answer is no, then how easy/difficult is it to take the apron on or off if the seal is to remain as a big "U"?
Is there a trick (installing, as well as maintaining the "U" when I remove the apron)?

Question 3: The engine to body seals are all made to have a flap or "groove" between a top and bottom flap (see WW's detail view in the picture above).
Should the bottom half go below the engine tin, and the top half above? Or do they both go below...? I honestly do not know.

Thanks in advance for your kind answers to my admittedly simple (minded) questions.

Yes, you can and should cut the seal in to 3 pieces.

One flap above the tin and one under it.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a pic of the correct seal later tonight.
Fwiw, I was also hoping someone would chime in telling us all where to buy one!
The WW ones wrinkle up the first road trip it seems... Sad

thevwcompound *instagram*
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish a company would start repopping these.

This was an OG seal off my 67, it fits like a glove but there were 2 cut-outs on it for some reason.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
I wish a company would start repopping these.

This was an OG seal off my 67, it fits like a glove but there were 2 cut-outs on it for some reason.

That's just a stock late model Bug engine bay seal. Someone probably replaced it in the past cause it's all they could find. Good substitute, just not correct.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, just figured it fit so good it was OG, my bad...

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut with overlap and used Vaseline to slide it in. You can still trim it after it is in, I may trim mine to butt together rather than overlap. You can see the seal angles up toward the apron.I believe mine is WW also.
I use wax or clear coat depending on access and how long before I intend to repaint an area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Completed tha gas tank replacement... Reply with quote

Everyone, thanks for the great bits of advice and discussion leading up to the completion of the project I did yesterday of getting the new gas tank in.

Here's the old and new tank:

Managed to get the felt that Crofty had recommended. My local Orchard didn't have it, so I got it on-line in the end:

I did a fair job cleaning up the engine compartment. I didn't get rid of any rust, I mainly just got the compartment about 85% cleaner than it has been in years.
Part of the "rush" is that I needed/wanted the car running again by today so that I could drive to Jury Duty, and my wife could still use our other car.

Here are a few lessons learned from the tank replacement:

1) The felt that Crofty recommended was/is great.
2) I already knew that the W.W. tank was different than the late-1967 tank (which has an extra "bump" above it), but I was a little surprised by two items:
~~~a) the placement of the sender unit is towards the back of the tank on the W.W. instead of the front...
~~~b) The sender unit for the gas gauge is NOT-symmetrical in the placement of its screws. I had put it in facing the exact same way it had on the first tank, and the screw holes just weren't lining up. I imagine the gasket too is asymmetrical. I kicked myself when I realized what was happening (I had been worrying that perhaps the W.W. replacement tank wasn't going to work with my original '67 sending unit, but that wasn't the case; it was fine).
3) The neck filler gasket is kind of tricky to get in place. In fact, lining the tank up to where you like the placement of the neck its self; centered, and high enough, can be tricky. If you find yourself doing this, get the tank in place, tighten down the holder straps, then check if it is in the same place you thought you had it (the neck), readjust if necessary, and THEN try to get the filler gasket on.
Ultimately I used a combination of chopsticks and string in the grove of the rubber that the sheet-metal fits in to get the gasket to go in. Must've taken about four tries, but once it was in properly, I was pleased.

I'd be embarrassed to say just how long it took me to get everything together yesterday; it's not everyday that I'm doing this kind of work, and crawling under the bus, trying to tighten engine bolts etc., so I am a little sore today. Happy, however, and back on the road. The Toaster doesn't smell of gas at all (just typical warm-engine smell, which does NOT smell like gas).

Thanks again to everyone.
Oh, and yes, the W.W. engine tin seals worked out fine.

On to the next project(s)!

Last edited by DadaCheese on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: New era for "The Toaster" Reply with quote

Alert: just an idiotic rant ahead.

There's been a lot of great topics/posts that I've read from TheSamba members talking about this very subject, but experiencing it is new to (for) me...

Finding a note on your Splittie;
"If you'd like to sell your van, please call me! (name/phone number)"

Truth is, I should be flattered(?)... and yet, I found myself thinking; "VAN?!? Who has a van; not me.
You want to buy my car 'cause you like it; but you've called it a van. Obviously not an seasoned VW enthusiast..."

Yes, i know that the word van is acceptable, but when I think of vans, I think of the "Mystery Machine" from Scooby-Doo.
However, if you do a Google Image search for: "1960's van" or "1960's vans" a surprising amount of VWs show up, including Bay Window Transporters.

...and found myself also thinking; "What, can you (random person who wants me to sell my automobile) not see the tender-loving care, time, and cost that I've put been putting into my Westfalia? Do my spotless bumpers and roof not illustrate that I am actively using and restoring my VW? Does the not-straight-from-the-assembly-line look of 'The Toaster' make you believe that I'm some old coot just hoping/waiting for somebody to offer me a few dollars to get this bucket of bolts off my hands?!?"

So, again; I should be flattered.
It's just that the responses I've been getting now that I am driving The Toaster regularly again are very different than the last time it was a daily driver over 15 years ago.
I am flattered that I seem to make not only my day when I drive, but often bring a smile to others too.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: New era for "The Toaster" Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Alert: just an idiotic rant ahead.

There's been a lot of great topics/posts that I've read from TheSamba members talking about this very subject, but experiencing it is new to (for) me...

Finding a note on your Splittie;
"If you'd like to sell your van, please call me! (name/phone number)"

Truth is, I should be flattered(?)... and yet, I found myself thinking; "VAN?!? Who has a van; not me.
You want to buy my car 'cause you like it; but you've called it a van. Obviously not an seasoned VW enthusiast..."

Yes, i know that the word van is acceptable, but when I think of vans, I think of the "Mystery Machine" from Scooby-Doo.
However, if you do a Google Image search for: "1960's van" or "1960's vans" a surprising amount of VWs show up, including Bay Window Transporters.

...and found myself also thinking; "What, can you (random person who wants me to sell my automobile) not see the tender-loving care, time, and cost that I've put been putting into my Westfalia? Do my spotless bumpers and roof not illustrate that I am actively using and restoring my VW? Does the not-straight-from-the-assembly-line look of 'The Toaster' make you believe that I'm some old coot just hoping/waiting for somebody to offer me a few dollars to get this bucket of bolts off my hands?!?"

So, again; I should be flattered.
It's just that the responses I've been getting now that I am driving The Toaster regularly again are very different than the last time it was a daily driver over 15 years ago.
I am flattered that I seem to make not only my day when I drive, but often bring a smile to others too.

It's even funnier when you call the number on the note and tell them what it would cost to buy it. They get all pissed off because "that's more than it cost when it was new." Special moments indeed.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Old photo found... circa 1974 Reply with quote

While visiting my mom back in February, I found some old rolls of film that were undeveloped.

At what ended up being a ridiculously high price, I sent them into a place that processes old film.

Only about four or five of the shots came out at all, but the clearest was this one (below).
That's me and "The Toaster" in roughly 1974.

No one has ever seen this picture until now; sure, our family has other pictures from 1974, but this one was in an old film cartridge in a box from 1974 until now, 2013.

Now I know for certain that "The Toaster" did used to have stock grey hubcaps.
My wife, upon seeing the photo, stated that the VW is whispering in my ear, telling me that it knows we'll have a long, excellent friendship.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the bus whispering in your ear is causing a reaction in your pants!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two amazing birthday gifts:

from my wife; The VW Workshop Manual [Bentley]!
from our cat; laser eyes for welding projects.

otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and pics!! Looking forward to meeting you two and the "Toaster"...

And happy belated birthday... Smile
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Kelly Park this weekend [April 21st] Reply with quote

Couple random things (musings):

1) On top of which fuse (1967 Stock 12-volt) should our cigarette lighter be connected to, and is there already a post there, or do I need one of those piggy-back riders?
Primarily, I'll be using it to keep my cell phone charged.
2) Possibly re-installing my original radio again soon(ish); which fuse should that be attached to?
3) Kelly Park (San Jose, CA) this weekend; Sunday, April 21st, 2013. Anyone else from around the Bay (or the from TheSamba in general) planning on attending? We'd love to meet other splitty owners, so please be sure to introduce yourself if you're attending.

"The Golden Gate Chapter of the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America will be hosting their 29th Annual Spring Meet at History San Jose at Kelley Park in San Jose on Sunday, April 21 from 8 am to 3 pm. All air-cooled VWs are welcome. "
http://www.ggcvvwca.org

otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different year, so I'm just trying here, but it looks like the radio goes into the far right fuse according to the wiring diagram, but I don't see the cigarette lighter. I think that was dealer installed, so that explains it, so I really am no help there!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_67_USA.jpg

Not making Kelley Park, but Bug-O-Rama is next month! Very Happy
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there with the family. Smile

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there but in a Westy or Truck? Life is so unfair sometimes...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Kelly Park, Sunday, April 21st, 2013 Reply with quote

Words first, then some pictures...

First off; the meet at Kelly Park yesterday (Kelly Park, San Jose, CA, Sunday, April 21st, 2013) was fantastic.

My wife and I met so many friendly, funny, intelligent, down-to-earth and kind people. So much so, that it ought to be pretty easy to convince my wife to go to more meets in the future.
For me, it was the first meet I have been to in over 20 years, the last ones being S.O.T.O. meets (Society of Transporter Owners) in Southern California in the late 1980's.

We had a great time seeing all the VWs, discussing with folks their work and love of their automobiles. Really, we had a great time, and if we didn't get to meet you personally, then another meet, another time soon I hope.

Second, thanks to the amazing community of TheSamba, another very kind Samba member, who is a radio enthusiast/expert, brought our 1967 Grundig Emden back to us after having done some work to it, even creating a replacement bottom cover plate for it, and generally giving it the loving-tender care it has needed since I took it out of The Toaster back in about 1987. It is now back in the bus and functional once again! [You know who you are; thank you, thank you, thank you!]

Third, did a few small projects leading up to the meet; installed the new cigarette lighter I received for my birthday (nice to be able to recharge my cell phone), as well as new Wolfsburg West tail lights replacing a cracked one I had (pictured), as well as a funky after-market European-style one that I had (not pictured).

Fourth, At the meet, from Gabriel's VW Keys and Locks [ http://gabvwkey.com/ ], I bought a 1967 lockable hatch button/handle which they re-keyed for me right then and there as part of the sale. One less key on my chain, and finally rid of that terrible ill-fitting re-pro I bought in the 1980's!

Fifth, Loved everyone's air-cooled VWs at the meet, and loved seeing them all. Were my wife and I ever rich enough that money would be no object, and we wanted a bug, this very nicely restored one (pictured below) was a favorite for us both that matched both of our aesthetics... but fortunately, we HAVE the VW that we most love, and I hope that can be seen by the last picture below as we had our lunch at the meet.

Radio:

"The Toaster" on the far left:

Tail Light Collage:

Beautiful Bug:

Lunch in "The Toaster"

otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great you guys had a good time, I still look forward to meeting the two of you at some point soon! If you're not up for Bug-O-Rama, there are some local shows coming up that you should check out as well. Bug Bash, Bus Fest, and Nor Cal Vintage VW & Porsche Treffen...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 47

Jump to: