Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longrifle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Very cool Bryce, very cool indeed!

67’ sedan
66’ SO-42
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

...and saving our pennies to finally get the driver's side door painted!

Excellent! It'll be harder to find the Toaster in a crowd once that's done.

Great article. Were were happy to host you two in our home state as well, and treat you to a delicious Italian dinner. We're hoping to be back out to Kelley Park in 2019 and look forward to seeing you again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Made it to the Nor-Cal Bus Fest in Antioch, California on Sunday, August 19th, 2018.

Although close-by, I didn't bring The Toaster (for reasons to be outlined in some future posts... I'll just say that there's some work being done for now, nothing big, but it's off the road at the moment).

Great event as always.
Held in a fantastic shady area, plus it wasn't too hot this year.
Great folks and always several great prizes in the raffle too.
They almost always raffle a set of Safari Windows, which was true again this year... and I won a hat.

Took a lot of snap-shot photos.
If I didn't post your bus, or missed taking a photo of it, apologies.

Here's the whole gallery:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...ts=summary

...and a small sample of some of those snap-shots:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Got a new bus...

Well, a toy one.

Although I do have a few VW models/toys, I'm not a collector.
I've been impressed with the Majorette ones I have seen (kind of the "Matchbox" of France and Thailand), and couldn't pass up getting this white standard.

Since The Toaster is a 1967 tin-top Westfalia pearl-white, I'm always looking for toys that are the closest to that.
This is the first time I have found a white standard split in toy form for myself.

Sure, it's not a '67, and the interior and bumpers are wrong, and the white is too bright to be perlweiß, but it's the closest I've found to The Toaster in toy form.

If anyone ever sees/finds one that is closer (to the Toaster), please let me know.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I hear the cost of bodywork is cheaper...maybe a respray and a nice wax and you’ll have the color proper?

Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I hear the cost of bodywork is cheaper...maybe a respray and a nice wax and you’ll have the color proper?
Laughing

Stuart, are you/have you made it/going to Buses by the Bridge (2019) this weekend? (Friday - Sunday, Jan 18th, 19th, 20th, 2019)

...it looks like Kathy and I can make it, but we'll roll in very late Friday night.

Anyone else making it or already there?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Laughing

Stuart, are you/have you made it/going to Buses by the Bridge (2019) this weekend? (Friday - Sunday, Jan 18th, 19th, 20th, 2019)

...it looks like Kathy and I can make it, but we'll roll in very late Friday night.

Anyone else making it or already there?

Unfortunately due to cost reasons I won’t be able to make it this year. I’m in LA area if you wanna grab a bite late night along the way to AZ though Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Back from Buses by the Bridge (BBtB)!

Great weekend.
Since it was both MLK Day on Monday the 21st, AND we got The Toaster back (more on recent improvements in another post sometime later), Kathy and I took Friday the 18th off, and made it to BBtB for the first time.

Likely many of you have gone/did go, and/or have known about it for years.

Buses by the Bridge (BBtB)
January 17th - 20th, 2019
Volkswagen bus camp-out and show at Lake Havasu City, AZ.

https://www.busesbythebridge.com/

I believe this is the largest gathering of bus only meets that I (personally) have been to since the 1980's S.O.T.O. days (I did make it to OCTO in Nov. of 2017; was that more than 650 buses?).
Sure; this one includes Bay, and Vanagons, and even a few Eurovans, but they are ALL, and only, VW Buses camping in the show area.

I didn't hear a final count, but I believe there were about 650 buses that participated (officially paid to participate), we were #595 when we rolled in Friday afternoon.

There were plenty more VWs in the parking lot too, but I never got around to looking at those, as the Bus Only area was so massive and densely packed.

Not any single picture I took can really show how massive this event is, I think only the various drones flying around taking pictures/videos could show the scale of the meet.

The show had something for everyone. There were bounce-houses and and organized bike rides for kids, corn-hole tournaments, a nighttime lantern walk through the city of buses at the meet, sales and swaps of parts both by professionals and individuals, concession stands of food, a Sunday morning pancake breakfast made and served by the local Boy Scout Troop... raffles, the lake its self, a swim center where you could swim in a pool and take a hot shower... I could go on; it was astounding.

Many clubs and individuals arrived as early as Tuesday or Wednesday to stake out their favorite spots and/or to organize their club's buses so that they'd all face in towards one another creating a shared communal space.

Kathy and I were lucky to be welcomed to a narrow remaining spot between a nice local couple who had a Bay window, and Will, a retired painter with his wonderful single-cab.
Here's our green and white tent, with the Toaster perpendicular in the back:

There was even a special beer brewed specifically for the event by a local brewer; "LB Bulli Brew" with a label commemorating this year's event.
Our bus was already parked for the weekend when we found you couldn't buy any AT the event, but the brewery wasn't far. Thanks to the brewer himself, however, we got to try some. Here's the brewery's bus:

As always with VW meets, every person of all walks of life, age, heritage, personal approach/beliefs were represented, all sharing thoughts and views joined through the common thread of VWs.

Since it was a camping event, it was easy to just relax into conversations and spend the time geeking out with anyone/everyone about their buses and/or about life in general.

Here's a nice juxtaposition of personality to help illustrate that:

There were far more split-window campers (but really, bay window ones too) there, with every possible style/options than I think I have witnessed at one meet.
It was truly remarkable to see SO MANY variations.

Naturally there were a great many of ALL bus models represented, but whether built as a camper or not, everyone was basically showing (and even showing off) how they like to camp with their bus.

The show's raffle had some great prizes.
The announcements to give away said prizes was, well, a bit long-winded, but the chance to win kept everyone hostage, um, I meant; present.
The prizes being raffled were well worth the wait.

There was also a separate raffle (different colored tickets) for a donated Baja Bug that had a bitter-sweet back story.
Raffle tickets were .50 cents. Kathy and I bought $40 of regular tickets (to win any of the general "stuff", including a full engine, a full-length rack, and LOTS of other great things), and $1 worth for the Baja Bug.
Didn't win, but it was thrilling to celebrate with/for those who did.

As always, we had a great time meeting people, catching up with folks we have met before, and learning what everyone is doing with and enjoying about their buses.

With roughly 650 buses, there's no way I could take pictures of all of them. I have posted around 250 photos, however, and this search will also bring up any other photos that Samba folks have posted:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

If we met, or even if we didn't, re-introduce yourself again (I'm terrible with names), and we hope to see all of you in California some time!

After leaving on Sunday, we drove through the desert to Cabazon, CA (you know; the little town that has the life-sized dinosaurs that are featured in "Pee-Wee Herman's Big Adventure"), and then made it briefly to my mom's house in Huntington Beach before returning home on Monday.

Trip Stats:

Total miles traveled: 1,355
Average gas mileage (for the whole trip): 19.45 mpg

Longer stops and overnights:
START: Richmond, CA
to Bakersfield, CA (stayed overnight after late drive Thursday evening)
to Lake Havasu, NV (BBtB - stayed two nights)
to Cabazon, CA (photo-op. stop)
to Huntington Beach, CA (stayed over night at mom's house)
to Pismo Beach, CA (lunch stop)
back to Richmond, CA.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

It was great to meet you two and see the toaster in person! Thanks for sharing your pics and the write up.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Dear Toaster,

Thanks for putting me up and putting up with me. I loved your friend Nikita and your lime garage companion.

See you on the road.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Dear Toaster,

Thanks for putting me up and putting up with me. I loved your friend Nikita and your lime garage companion.

See you on the road.

Abscate, great to have had you visit with Kathy and myself, as well as with "The Toaster" and Kathy's "Shamrock Shake" (our 1971 Ghia), oh, and our calico cat Nikita too who took to you immediately.

So nice to have had more time to talk and relax.

Thanks to you (many thanks), we now have this fuel pump...
As we discussed, need to research if it should be correct for The Toaster's single port 1600, but in case anyone wants to chime in, here's the numbering from it:

A. PIERBUG KG. Neuß

VW 14

Thanks again, and come back to California soon!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Dear Toaster,

See you on the road.

Abscate, great to have had you visit with Kathy and myself, as well as with "The Toaster" and Kathy's "Shamrock Shake" (our 1971 Ghia), oh, and our calico cat Nikita too who took to you immediately.

So nice to have had more time to talk and relax.

Thanks to you (many thanks), we now have this fuel pump...
As we discussed, need to research if it should be correct for The Toaster's single port 1600, but in case anyone wants to chime in, here's the numbering from it:

A. PIERBUG KG. Neuß

VW 14

Thanks again, and come back to California soon!

VW never installed that Square Top fuel pump on buses. Your bus new would of come with a German Dome top fuel pump like in this ad below. It's what was on my 1971 engine as well when delivered new. They are the best fuel pump IMHO for our VW's. 3psi, rocker pins that are secured and don't fall out.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2238881

If you need one for your beautiful bus, shoot me a PM. I'm glad to help out school teachers!

Here's the dome top mounted on my 1971 bus engine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Crap, I left the wrong one !!

Thanks again, Toaster and Nakita, for putting me up this week.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Not really about split buses, but... (just some musings today).

Got to see a friend over the weekend and he brought me a dealer/service booklet from 1961.

A nice thing about it is that it lists the long-gone "Alex McRae" VW dealer in Chico, CA...

For Kathy's 1971 Ghia, I had bought her a licence plate from/of that dealership since Kathy is also from Chico.

Oh, and here's an FYI that really, really doesn't apply to 1967 and older buses, but here in California you can finally do Year of Manufacture BLUE licence plates.

It took a year and a half for us to get the California DMV to do it, however, because they (not us) messed up the paperwork three times, and it was a 3 to 4 months each time to find out they had messed up. We finally got the registration and stickers for our set of blue plates in Jan.

SO; if you have a 1969 to 1979 car in California, there's hoops to jump through, but you can potentially get blue plates for it and have them licenced.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Huge thanks to Abscate, who couldn't bear to see The Toaster's engine looking almost completely stock nowadays and thus picked up (from Bill: "Wcfvw69") a rebuilt, year-correct fuel pump for us.

This'll be going in shortly... and when work (day job), and rain, and other projects subside, I'll give an update here on the Samba of recent work/improvements to The Toaster which aren't readily noticeable to the naked eye.

Other random tid-bits... Saw this at a "Home Show" booth where they were selling wooden models of cars and wooden caricature boxes.

...and these intriguing pictures sent to me via Facebook of a bus in San Luis Obispo, CA.

Anyone seen this one up-close before?

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

There's a meet this weekend, SOTO, near Sacramento, CA.

Not listed in the "Shows" section of TheSamba, so here is a Facebook link to the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2449124671825567/

...and the details from that Facebook listing:

S.O.T.O. Spring Meet
Public · Hosted by SOTO

Sunday at 9 AM – 3 PM

William B Pond Recreation Area
5700 Arden Way, Sacramento, California 95608

S.O.T.O. Spring Meet at our new location at William B Pond Park at 5700 Arden Way in Carmichael, CA.
After entering the park, follow the main road to Cottonwood parking lot on the left. $5 per vehicle collected at the gate by the county. This event is for 1967 and older split windshield Volkswagen buses and trucks only.

We're planning on being there with The Toaster.
Hope to see some other folks from TheSamba there as well.
If you make it, say hi and introduce/re-introduce yourself (I'm terrible with names).

Not much else to report at the moment; Kathy and I were in Las Vegas this past weekend for a friend's wedding (not a shotgun wedding; they've been together for 18+ years)...

Two VW related things seen there:

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Springtime.

Time to get back on the road again for camping and trips.

Not sure what all I've had the chance to mention about some positive improvements on The Toaster that were completed several months back.

First; the most noticeable one.

We had Kombi Haus (Sacramento, CA) paint the driver's side door, finally ridding us of that door shaped primer colored trapezoid that stood out.
I hope this phone snap-shot photo does it justice, because they really did a great job matching the "patina" of the The Toaster's bits that still have original paint.
I'd love to get the bad bondo spots taken care of someday, as well as the beige colored spray paint (from the 1980's) covering other rust areas...

At first glance, however, The Toaster looks pretty good at this angle, I believe.

Second; the improvement that an onlooker is less likely to see.

ALL of the correct engine tin, flaps, thermostat, etc. have been gathered, made pretty, powder-coated, etc. The piece protecting the fly-wheel nut is one that I didn't even know existed! The new-to-us unblocked heat riser/carb. stand is also installed.

I really have to hand it to Kombi Haus for dialing it all in for me. Sure, I had been collecting tin/restored flaps, etc., but they really understood me when I said; "let's make Hanover proud," concerning getting the engine looking/running as it should for 1967.

I need to find time to put in the year-correct fuel pump that our friend Samba member Abscate gifted to us as a great kindness. Yes, I know that having a degree pulley is far from "stock", but it has made my life easier.

The thermostat and flaps, and the unblocked heat riser have made starting The Toaster a dream. I have to watch that I don't keep the starter motor turning too long, because I've discovered that I don't realize how little effort it takes to start the engine now.

Naturally there's a longer story to all of this recent work, but I don't think I'll go into all of it. The short of it is that the transmission had failed again. Just a little bit after one year of having been rebuilt. Kombi Haus stood by their warranty, and had discovered that it was a new German-made internal bearing that had gone bad. Very rare.
They took care of all that, all on them.

Since The Toaster had to be there in Sacramento for awhile, my thought had been; "well, if it is there, we should get the door painted... and I've been wanting to get the engine dialed in with the correct tin, and, well, they'll have the engine out anyway..."
If it was just there for the transmission, we would have had it back relatively quickly, but since I tacked on work that wasn't scheduled for their very busy body & paint folks, it took longer with the Toaster waiting its turn.

Kathy agreed with me about the extra work since we had been concentrating on her Ghia. She said that she'd name her Ghia (finally) if The Toaster's driver's side door was painted (also finally). Her 1971 willow green Ghia is now officially known as: "Shamrock Shake".

Now it is back to doing the small projects on The Toaster that I can/should do. I've got some small electrical things to get done, I've got some of my jalousie windows leaking air into the cabin (didn't quite get the seal right on a couple when I put them back in).

But mainly, it's back to using The Toaster regularly again and there are plenty of meets coming up.
We'll be at the SOTO one in Sacramento on Sunday (3/31/2019 Details: see prior post).

I bought a licence plate frame for the back of The Toaster and put it on Tuesday.
My hope is that it will assist friendly VW novice strangers at gas stations from guessing things like; "say, is that a seventy-three bus?"

Hope to see many of you on Sunday.
Most of all though, I hope everyone is out driving and enjoying their splits.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

The engine is looking great. A couple of observations-

* PUT THE RESTORED German Pierburg dome top FUEL PUMP ON! Laughing Wink You're gambling with that aftermarket special!

* Your distributor isn't "clocked" correctly. The distributor needs to be turned counterclockwise 90°. When the distributor is installed correctly, the vacuum canister will be right in front, not at angle like it is now. See how your spark plug wires are touching each other on the distributor cap? It's because the distributor isn't clocked in the engine correctly. Now, look at how the wires on the bug engine really don't.

Keep up the good work!

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Keep up the good work!

Bill, many thanks.

wcfvw69 wrote:
* PUT THE RESTORED German Pierburg dome top FUEL PUMP ON! Laughing Wink You're gambling with that aftermarket special!

Smile It's funny how the Bug sample picture you linked has the same after-market fuel pump. Smile

In all seriousness, however, a couple questions if you have a moment.
The Pierburg that you restored for Abscate/us is fantastic.
Here it is:

Two questions:

1) Seeing how our aftermarket is currently set up, what part is needed for the intake, and/or what is the stock, or best, way to connect to the gas line? If you sell the additional parts needed, I'll gladly buy them from you. I'm holding my breath against needing to have some fancy tube-work being done to make it right.

2) ...when I put that aftermarket fuel pump in, I had a new aftermarket "Fuel Pump Flange Block" (you know; the plastic thing), but it did not fit. It could have been me, missing something obvious (it was hot, and we were broken down, and I was worried the police would show up since we were pouring gas all over an underground parking lot), but I ended up using the old one. So, the question; are there different Fuel Pump Flange Blocks for different engines? Was I just doing something wrong? Ever seen or heard of someone having this problem, and if I did have an incorrect one, which one should I be ordering?

Thanks in advance Bill, and/or anyone who wants to chime in.

PS: Thanks for the distributor "clocking" too. I will fix that at the same time as getting the fuel pump in.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

The original fuel line was steel that feed those dome top pumps inlet side. The line went around the drivers side fan shroud, sat in a clip on that 10mm screw that holds the fan shroud to the 3/4 cylinder tin and the exited out the front plate there where the hole is.

Wolfsburg west sells that fuel line. Some people buy the steel fuel line, screw it into the pump and then cut the steel line like 5" from the pump. They then put the rubber fuel hose into the now nipple that screws into the inlet side of the fuel pump.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113127521A
Get the rubber grommet too.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111127591

The grommet goes into the front tin where the steel line exits. This prevents the steel fuel line getting cut from the engine tin.

You really want to run an original used fuel pump bakelite stand. The aftermarkets are poor (shocking!) and can be different heights as well. Check the document below. Use a 108MM generator pushrod. Then follow the directions in that document. You want the pushrod to be sticking up above the bakelite stand 13mm at it's highest travel.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 47

Jump to: