Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually draped on a piece of 3/8th ply with 2 slots for the door tops.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Awning Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
That is close to a factory/aftermarket- that came with my 66- didn't know what or how it fit till I saw one in a pic from NZ-go figure-[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

William; that's a great awning you have there. I'd love to see its underpinnings (framework) sometime if you have pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Awning Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Trying to find time to get ready for Ranch Run which is in a couple weeks (May 2nd, 2015) here in Northern California.

Need to take some better pictures of this, but here is a nice door awning I bought from a VW enthusiast-seamstress who lives in England.

She shipped it sans wooden poles, but with instructions of size/length.

It's a nice little welcoming awning, and it is the last she had of this specific fabric.

...also planting the seed of going to OCTO in Southern California in June (June 13th, 2015) in my wife's head...

That is close to a factory/aftermarket- that cam with my 66- didn't know what or how it fit till I saw one in a pic from NZ-go figure-[img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Old Photos from Jan 20th, 1989 Reply with quote

Not long out of High School, I was tired of water pouring into The Toaster when it rained. My friend Michael (pictured) and I took a copy of the SOTO newsletter (Society of Transporter Owners) and followed the instructions in an article about replacing the windshield seals. I relied on Muir's Idiot Guide for just about everything else.

We also made some lame attempts at trying to figure out what we could do about arresting the rust problem with no knowledge and no money. I believe we flattened out most of the roof's rust bubbles that day; we reasoned that the open bubbles merely trapped water longer.

As you can see, these pictures are from Jan. 20th, 1989, and were taken by me in northern Huntington Beach, CA. My friend Michael is pictured, and his cat.
He had a 1965 white Chevy Chevelle that was in far superior condition to the VW at the time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: New Awning Reply with quote

Trying to find time to get ready for Ranch Run which is in a couple weeks (May 2nd, 2015) here in Northern California.

Need to take some better pictures of this, but here is a nice door awning I bought from a VW enthusiast-seamstress who lives in England.

She shipped it sans wooden poles, but with instructions of size/length.

It's a nice little welcoming awning, and it is the last she had of this specific fabric.

...also planting the seed of going to OCTO in Southern California in June (June 13th, 2015) in my wife's head...

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwinw; my sister and nephew live in Wanaka, FYI. ...and all the work on your bus looks great. Hope you make it down (in your bus) again sometime soon.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, we'll be attending The Ranch Run 2015, (North-east of Sacramento, CA not far from Roseville ) on Sunday May 3rd, 2015
http://www.theranchrun.com/

We'll be meeting up with some of our water-cooled friends who belong to the SacWater club. http://forums.sacwater.net/ while up that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking to gather information to finally learn about buffing.
The Toaster is not a "show" bus, but I think I ought to learn about how to properly clean, buff, and take care of the original paint that it has left.

Can I/should I get some cheap buffer from Harbor Freight Tools?
Honestly, besides watching some YouTube videos, I don't know much of anything about "buffing".
So; if people have good, solid, general how-to advice, preferred methods, products and/or tools (the less expensive, the better), then please advise away!
...it is due to my parents not having taken care of the paint as the car sat for more than 8 years that caused most of the rust/problems way back when.

5 seconds of being in Santa Cruz:

Link

Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm from Christchurch - live up in Portland now.

1975 Westfalia
1967 Westfalia
1966 Riviera
1966 Deluxe
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwinw wrote:
Funny, only the second split bus I've seen this trip through Nor Cal, and I recognized the toaster from the nice clean roof! Saw you on the forum and had to post. Hope your having fun with the Kiwi's Smile

Kiwinw; thanks so much for snapping the picture!
...doesn't it feel odd not to see more air-cooled VWs and split vans?
Yesterday on our trip to Santa Cruz and back (perhaps a total of 3 and 1/2 hours of driving, two different routes) we saw ONE other air-cooled VW yesterday, a 1972 bug... and one Bay window (parked), and naturally about a half-dozen Vanagons.

Had a great time in Santa Cruz, however. My 12 year old nephew, Ocean, naturally loved the Boardwalk and all the roller coasters.

We came back by coast and went across both the Golden Gate and Richmond bridges to get home.

...oh, Kiwinw, does your name imply that you're from New Zealand?

Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
was there supposed to be an image?

Yes, I edited my post with the image. Tried to post it from my phone while I was standing beside the Toaster!

I kind of like how its such a small world. Recognizing a bus from the Samba, and knowing they are hanging with some fellow Kiwi's. Did not get to meet them though.

1975 Westfalia
1967 Westfalia
1966 Riviera
1966 Deluxe
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was there supposed to be an image?
Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, only the second split bus I've seen this trip through Nor Cal, and I recognized the toaster from the nice clean roof! Saw you on the forum and had to post. Hope your having fun with the Kiwi's Smile

1975 Westfalia
1967 Westfalia
1966 Riviera
1966 Deluxe

Last edited by Kiwinw on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
suebug wrote:
I'd like to know where the hedgehog candle holder came from. My daughter-in-law.

Suebug, I'm pretty sure we got 'em at IKEA.
If you can't find 'em, let me know. Perhaps we can arrange a trade for some unused postcards (sending postcards is another hobby; I send at least one every day).

Thanks! I'm sure I can find some postcards in trade if need be!
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebug wrote:
I'd like to know where the hedgehog candle holder came from. My daughter-in-law.

Suebug, I'm pretty sure we got 'em at IKEA.
If you can't find 'em, let me know. Perhaps we can arrange a trade for some unused postcards (sending postcards is another hobby; I send at least one every day).
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gifts! I've given those Teuscher VW bug chocolates as gifts on many occasions! I'd like to know where the hedgehog candle holder came from. My daughter-in-law is a hedgehog person and I've bought her everything BUT a candle holder!
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: VW birthday gifts. Reply with quote

Family gave me some great VW gifts for my birthday!

...now I know which reusable shopping bag to keep in the Toaster!

The teuscher vw beetle chocolate (and its springtime box) is from my wife, the bus bag was made by my mother-in-law.

Gassed up the Toaster today so that we will be ready to take my sister and nephew to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk on Sunday; they are visiting from New Zealand. My sister hasn't ridden in the Toaster since at least when I was in college... 19+ years ago.

Happy Spring Holidays everyone! Hope to meet you out and about on the road this weekend.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Get rid of the header/single muffler you have and order the stock muffler and ALL the associated pieces to hook the system back up like original new.

Bill,
Your testimony is heartening.
...now to show my ignorance, as well as potentially open a can of worms of folk's preferences:

My bus is a '67 Westfalia. I'm 90% sure the rebuilt engine I have in it is a 1600 (?).
...so what is/should be a stock muffler (and additional parts needed) for my bus and current engine arrangement?
I use Wolfsburg West a lot, but where do you, or others who'd like to chime in, tend to get your muffler/exhaust parts?

I prefer to look/run as "stock" as I can, but I'm also not adverse to improvements as long as they don't take me too far from a "stock" look.

Naturally I won't be making this change right off; need to save my pennies, but I am interested in making the change to a better and/or more stock/complete set-up.

The link Stucco linked is exactly what I purchased. The muffler kit is complete except for the connection pipe. Here's a link for the connection pipes.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bus_mufflers.cfm

It's number #18. Also, get two rubber seals #42's as well to seal between the tin and hoses.

My bus engine is stock except for the larger pistons. It's a 1776 and runs fine with this muffler. I know you use your bus w/your significant other. Mine rode with me last night and she said "wow, it's ssoo much quieter in this now".. I'm sure yours will love it as well.

BTW, $ is a consideration for us all. Don't buy the cheap stock muffler. They don't fit and are very thin metal. This Bus Depot muffler fit the engine ok, but the deflectors that the connector pipes go into are a beat lacking. I got them to fit but not like a NOS muffler.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Dada, Your bus just keeps getting better and better, great thread and bus!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuco wrote:
This is what you need: http://www.busdepot.com/211251053ec

Thanks stuco! The cost looks reasonable... have to prioritize since I know there's other stuff I'll want to improve and change the next time I pull the engine.

Oh; also been very much enjoying your 1967 SO-42 thread! You seem to accomplish so much, and make it look easy!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you need:

http://www.busdepot.com/211251053ec

Your heater boxes are still in place which is good as they are expensive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 47

Jump to: