Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Get rid of the header/single muffler you have and order the stock muffler and ALL the associated pieces to hook the system back up like original new.

Bill,
Your testimony is heartening.
...now to show my ignorance, as well as potentially open a can of worms of folk's preferences:

My bus is a '67 Westfalia. I'm 90% sure the rebuilt engine I have in it is a 1600 (?).
...so what is/should be a stock muffler (and additional parts needed) for my bus and current engine arrangement?
I use Wolfsburg West a lot, but where do you, or others who'd like to chime in, tend to get your muffler/exhaust parts?

I prefer to look/run as "stock" as I can, but I'm also not adverse to improvements as long as they don't take me too far from a "stock" look.

Naturally I won't be making this change right off; need to save my pennies, but I am interested in making the change to a better and/or more stock/complete set-up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
easy e wrote:
I have a header... used aluminum flex hose like you have... from heater box to where I used the #18 part like a bulkhead fitting at the tin. The hose is nice on the bottom of tin, to help snake by the header.

All of these replies are great.
Sounds like that unless/until I change my muffler set-up (and I imagine that someday I'd like it to be either more stock, or whatever is most efficient or correct), that sticking a couple of #18 into the tin, affixing some aluminum flex hose from the heaterbox to #18 underneath, and then a piece from the top to the fan shroud will at least alleviate the splitting I keep experiencing.

Get rid of the header/single muffler you have and order the stock muffler and ALL the associated pieces to hook the system back up like original new. I've owned my bus for 8 months. It had a header/single muffler on it. I just installed a stock muffler like the original. OMG.. I should of done this a long time ago. The bus is SSOO much quieter than before. It runs better too and I'm now getting good pre-heat to the carb manifold on cold morning starts. It's much quieter on the freeway as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I have a header... used aluminum flex hose like you have... from heater box to where I used the #18 part like a bulkhead fitting at the tin. The hose is nice on the bottom of tin, to help snake by the header.

All of these replies are great.
Sounds like that unless/until I change my muffler set-up (and I imagine that someday I'd like it to be either more stock, or whatever is most efficient or correct), that sticking a couple of #18 into the tin, affixing some aluminum flex hose from the heaterbox to #18 underneath, and then a piece from the top to the fan shroud will at least alleviate the splitting I keep experiencing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it looks like you have a header you could add 18, 42, and 17 for all the clampings. Then come off 18 with a short piece of metalized heater tube.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
+ #18 in this pic:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bus_mufflers.cfm

yes but also the part that goes between 18 and the 22 clamp, and 22....all three are missing.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ #18 in this pic:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/bus_mufflers.cfm
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are missing the tin cover that shrouds over the exhaut...one minute ill find a pic...

this pic barely shows them, but note that there is one off the left and right side, over that upper exhaust pipe on the 4 and 2 cylinders. research those parts and get a new exhaust that has those covers, then the tubes never go through the shrouding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOTE:

this may be bug specific, someone from the type one bus crowd needs to chime in and back me up on this, or at least explain when the change was....

a few more pics i found:

206-841-7324
[email protected]
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Success. ...and Fresh Air Tube Question Reply with quote

Thanks again, everyone, for the simple, helpful and excellent advice.

Success. Engine properly tuned; purring like a kitten, great pick-up too.

Ultimately, yes, it was the spark plugs; or at least one of them.
Yes, I had cleaned and gapped this them this past Sunday when I did the tune up, but I must've banged one, 'cause it was too far closed.
Took the opportunity to put new plugs in anyway, and since I couldn't remember the last time I changed the the spark plug wires, I went ahead and put new ones in.
Keeping much better track of my tune-ups and such then ever before, so I'll be able to check when I replaced parts.

New Question:

The fresh air tubes. One of mine (left; see below) split at the juncture through the tinwork. It seems to me that I have seen folks with some kind of protection for these places to avoid this...

I've got some of the black Wolfsburg West repro. tube to put in, but before I do, general advice on preventing splits through the metal?
Specific products (and links) to what YOU use?
Is the product I show below from Wolfsburg what I need, or is that for a different type, sealing where the tube meets the heater box?

Engine (note the pipe tape, left side, trying to seal the crack in the tube):

Tin pass through:

Grommet... Is this what I need? (part pictured below)

Underneath:

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guatebus wrote:
I'm going out on a limb to guess that in your maintenance process you accidentally dislodged the vacuum connection from your distributor.

Guatebus, thanks... I don't have a vacuum advance, however.
I'm posting some parts pictures below.
I don't know how long it has been since I have replaced my distributor rotor, distributor cap, or condenser (or points, for that matter), so I might as well not only continue to troubleshoot, but do a spring-time more complete tune up and replace these as a mater of course while I am at it...
My sister and my nephew will be visiting from New Zealand in a couple weeks, and my sister hasn't ridden in our grandparent's VW since I was in college.
My plan is to drive them down to Santa Cruz in it two weeks from now, but I certainly hope to be all tuned up LONG before then.

guatebus wrote:
As for the oil pan studs pulling out, you can try loctite next time you do an oil change. It's a bit tricky to get the stud and thread to be clean of oil, but with some patience it shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks for this advice; next oil change, I'll do just that.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Get tires yet?

Thanks... yeah, hope to have some time to check all the connections tonight, but ought to have some new spark plugs in hand tomorrow, so I may put off until tomorrow.

Tires. No. Don't quite have the money yet, but I have your tire advice saved; I am hoping this year for a new set.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like I said..easy things first. start by making sure all the wires are on TIGHTLY and then check the firing order. very simple process and no tools. i somehow always manage to swap two plug wires every time i pull my motor...dont ask me why...but its now the first thing i check and nearly every time its my only issue.

Good luck! Very Happy

Get tires yet?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going out on a limb to guess that in your maintenance process you accidentally dislodged the vacuum connection from your distributor.

I saw someone do that once.

As for the oil pan studs pulling out, you can try loctite next time you do an oil change. It's a bit tricky to get the stud and thread to be clean of oil, but with some patience it shouldn't be too difficult.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandraks, Stuart,

Thanks... will do exactly these things ASAP (day or two from now; too often after a full day or work there's other stuff that then occupy my evenings).

No extra distributer around, but just as you two I am a bit suspicious of the spark plug wires, spark plugs, etc...

Thought I had done a great job adjusting valves, so I'm hoping to not have to get back into 'em. We'll see, Will report back in a few days.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say double check the spark plug wires order and make sure they are all pushed down. Take 2 seconds and no tools.

Then replace plugs with new, and readjust the valves. Just to make sure valves are good.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

distributor, it is so easy to check....

just stick your backup dizzy in and see if it helps. if you don't have one, troubleshoot the one you got.

sparkplugs, also easy, put new ones in and see if that makes a difference...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Frustrating tune-up. Reply with quote

Was time for a tune-up...
Obviously didn't do a good enough job; running odd(ly).
Did about an 80% complete general tune-up:

Changed oil: cleaned oil strainer, new gaskets, new valve cover corks.
    Removed each spark plug, cleaned 'em with some fine sand paper, checked gap.
    Adjusted valves.
    Checked points gap; was correct; didn't change.
    Checked timing (static bulb method); seems to be right at 7&1/2, which should be correct for me; didn't change.

Put tools away, cleaned my self up, went on test drive to get tacos.
...pick-up (acceleration) is slow and sluggish. NOT running as well as before the tune-up, decided not to drive it any far distance. Sounds OK, but not really; hard for me to tell, but obviously something is up.

Go through all the step again next Saturday?
Re-check all the valve adjustments?
Simple as a spark plug wire not replaced well?
What would YOU check first (second, third)?

...and a related/unrelated question.
Do many/any of you have trouble of the whole oil strainer cover studs coming out when you try to remove 'em? Two of mine did this time, and in putting back in, one (a different stud) recessed in to the point that the cap nut (for that one) is barely hanging on.

Suggestions, hints, pointers? Thanks.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to see you are out and about in it!

i have definately seen about 5 Citroen's around seattle this month...been doing a lot of driving i guess. Wink they are very rare for sure!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Winter ending... Reply with quote

More ramblings.

Spent 10 days (total) in Europe; Prague, Vienna and Budapest during mid-Feb.

Had hoped to do something VW-related while there, but missed a monthly stammtisch (meet-up) of Split window bus owners in Vienna by one week...

Like all of you, I am certain, my eyes scan the streets for air-cooled VWs wherever I am. During this winter trip we only say ONE air-cooled VW (pictured below).

To make up for it, I suppose, I did finally get to see a Messerschmitt up close (was in a restaurant thoroughfare in Prague with other "classic" cars meant to draw people in). And possibly because it is the French's answer to the Bug, I've always been a fan of the Citroën 2CV (aka "Duck"). It's rare to see them on the streets in Europe anymore either.

On yet another unrelated note, I just got a nice package from my sister and nephew from New Zealand which included one of those 23-window LED flashlight keychains, and this very distinctive jacket patch:

This dry, drought-ridden (in California, at any rate) winter is coming to an end, and we're out and about in The Toaster about every other day. Trying to convince my wife that she wants to attend the Kelly Park meet in April, but we will be at The Ranch Run (VW show/fundraiser in the Sacramento, CA area. May 1-3, 2015) so if you see us, be sure to introduce yourself:
http://www.theranchrun.com/
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Prague ~ Vienna ~ Budapest Reply with quote

Off Topic (vacation tips desired):

Will finally have the chance to have a short winter vacation, and will be visiting Prague, Vienna and Budapest.

No, we won't have The Toaster with us (that's be amazing, were we that rich to biring it), but I am writing for a few reasons/requests:

1) Any air-cooled VW folks in any of those towns like to let us know some of your favorite local spots, or advice of any air-cooled camaraderie we can experience while there?
2) Have you (anyone) been to any of these three fantastic towns and have some favorite things to share that we should see/do/try above and beyond what the tourist guide books/websites recommend? Note: it will be WINTER when we are there.
3) Any favorite on-line publications (in English or German) that anyone recommends for those three towns to get a grasp of stuff to do/local haunts, etc. Thanks in advance!

...when we travel, I always try to sneak in some VW sightings and such if at all possible. Advice, and particular advice from locals of favorite spots/things to do/cafes/bars & restaurants is greatly appreciated.
If it helps at all for suggestions; we're an active 40-something couple without kids.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 47

Jump to: