Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

That's Averaging 40+ mph on that 101 leg. Stop and go is ugly.

I can tell you with 32 years in sales and management travel you plan on 50 mph average In a modern car on freeways once you factor in stops , traffic, meals. You will never average 70 mph as all the rookies think.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: First-Aid Kit in the Toaster Reply with quote

NOT MUCH DIRECTLY RELATED TO VWs in this particular post!

Lots of prep work going into the upcoming Cross-Country trip (we leave on June 28th, 2017!).

I've just finished making sure The Toaster’s First-Aid Kit has everything and that none of the medicine in it has expired.

Since we live in the Bay Area of California, we know "the big one"(earthquake) will some someday hit.
This is one of the reasons all three of our cars (the Ghia, The Toaster and our Toyota) have a First-Aid kit, and naturally a larger one in the house too.

We also like to go hiking on the spur of the moment sometimes, and by having a good first-aid kit with the car, I don’t have to pack one if we decide to hike.

This list is our "basic" kit and is NOT The Ten Essentials that you should have when you go hiking.
However, since one of the Ten Essentials is a good First-Aid kit, I went ahead and crammed a few additional items in there too.

Sure, it would be easy enough to keep adding items to this ("Where’s the tunicate supplies?" "Why didn’t you include a snake-bite kit?"), but as this is something that I like to have with the car I feel that it is both over-stocked, but also not an EMT-style complete kit either.

Does your bus have a First-Aid Kit?
If not, I advise it. If not for yourself, then for helping some other motorist.
The majority of the things needed for a good kit can be bought at a well-stocked Dollar Store, so a good kit doesn’t have to break the bank.
Also the "sample" areas of stores like Target or a chain drugstore will have small less-expensive versions of various items like types of name-brand pain relievers and such.

I'll put the content list of ours below the photo so that you can copy & paste if you want the list for checking your own.

Oh; a couple points of clarification/explanation:

Fels-Naptha is a strong old-fashioned bar soap, often used for cleaning clothing. The reason some of it is in the First-Aid kit is because California has a lot of Poison Oak. Poison Oak spreads an oil into the skin which later causes rashes, "weeping blisters" and itchiness. The oil gets on your skin when you brush up against poison oak, but can also get onto you from where it had come into contact with your clothes. If you were to take a bath to try to clean yourself of said oils, you'd basically be helping spread the oil to other areas of the skin. Using a strong soap like Fels-Naptha or Dr. Bronner's Pure-Castile Liquid Soap, and attempting not to spread the oil of the plant is your best bet for treating the affected area.

"Sport’s Tape" - In Boy Scouts we did a lot of High Sierra hiking and Moleskin was what we used for blisters and such. If you are familiar with how/why blisters are formed while walking/hiking/running, then you know it is typically friction against a specific spot. When/if you feel a "hot spot" being formed, Sport’s Tape is just the thing; it creates a friction barrier between the skin and the sock or shoe. I sure wish we had it back in the 1980’s, it’s easier to use then Moleskin and far less expensive.

Like I said; it's easy to keep adding onto a list like this, but this is our basic car kit which is meant to be used for minor injuries or in an emergency.
Our personal toiletry kits have our basic non-First-Aid needs met.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Content List:
    Scissors
    Mini-Multi Tool
    Tweezers
    Nail Clipper
    Razor Blade
    Assortment of Adhesive Bandages in various sizes
    Antibiotic Ointment
    1/3 of a bar of Fels-Naptha soap
    Reliable Flashlight
    Extra batteries
    Lighter
    Water-poof matches (and/or matches in water-proof container)
    Candle
    Flint Fire-starter
    2 Triangular Bandages w/ fasteners
    Extra Safety Pins
    2 eye-gauze pads
    Needle & Thread
    Compression bandage w/ fasteners
    Sanitary Gauze Roll
    Sport’s Tape
    First Aid Adhesive Tape
    Emergency Rain Poncho
    Feminine Hygiene Products
    Lip Balm
    Ibuprofen
    Aspirin
    Naproxen
    Eye Drops
    Cleaning wipes
    Small Vials of Isopropanol
    Latex-free exam gloves
    Day/Night Cold Medicine
    Antihistamine Medicine
    Gas Relief medicine
    Anti-Acid Chewable
    Day/Night Antihistamine
    Cough Suppressant
    Cough lozenges
    Sun Block
    Anti-Itch Bug Cream
    Instant-read Thermometer
    Bug Repellent
    Compass
    Signal Mirror
    Whistle
    Backup Prescription Drugs
    Backup Prescription Glasses
    Emergency Blanket
    Toilet Paper & Spade
    Pen & Paper
    Small seal-able bag for waste and trash

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: New Style Drink Holder from ISPWest Reply with quote

Replaced our Oil Pressure Sender this weekend, and did a complete oil change... was getting a fluttering green light at idle.

Read up on it (On TheSamba, as well as Idiot's guide, etc.) and the symptoms really seemed to signify the sender since all other possibilities were ruled out (I hope). Bought a deep 24mm socket, which made replacing it easier; I didn't feel like taking out the distributor to use a crescent wrench. The Toaster is running fantastic today.

The photographer who took pictures of us and The Toaster early this year sent over a nice handful of photos from the shoot yesterday.
She's been very busy and I had nearly forgotten, but the pictures turned out great.
Here's a link for her work: http://priime.com/sherese_romo

Here's one of the photos she took:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This weekend I took several snapshot photos of our new cup holder (below).

This replaces the older style, which has been fantastic, but the new one is much, much better.
It stays on much more securely, and easily support more weight, distributing the weight better, it sits higher too.
Also, it has a little spring-loaded fold out to hold a cell phone or a pad of paper, but on top of that, you can also fold the cup holder away so that you can hold items larger than the cups.

You can get these in three colors (chrome, white or black) from ISPWest.

Here's a LOT of snapshots in case you are considering getting one, I hope these photos help:

Open basket option in case you have larger items:

Cell Phone holder:

Last edited by DadaCheese on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

The cup holder/basket looks like a nice upgrade. Glad to hear you got the bus running right again.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Lakeport, CA "Camp & Shine" show, Father's Day Weekend, 2017 Reply with quote

Hot and excellent weekend in California.

During the main show part of "Camp & Shine" in Lakeport, CA (next to Clear Lake) on Saturday, June 17th, the high was 96 degrees.

It was another really fantastic show at Lakeport.
The wonderful, friendly nature of this show, plus the camping, make it (another) one of our favorites.

This year we weren't at the campground right next to the lake, because due to the wet winter, that was flooded. We were instead camping in a nice spot at the fairgrounds.

As we always do for this meet/show/camping, Kathy and I serve fondue to everyone, just as everyone camping share their wonderful foods. It makes for a great and communal experience.

...on top of that, at the speedway (part of the fairgrounds) was a small monster truck event in the evening, which all of us VW folks got to watch for free by simply walking up a hill near the camping area.
Seems like a dusty "sport".

To the show; always great since it is relaxed, participant adjudicated, there's shade, a fantastic raffle, and the last few years has also had a beer & wine tasting event that supports the local symphony, directly next to the VW show.

Just a few pictures from the show:

...and so many more pics too... here's the location on TheSamba:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

Again; it is the camaraderie that makes so great. Well organized, relaxed and just a lot of fun...

Ron heard that I admired his shirt, so he gave me the shirt of his back. We did a shirt-swap.

STATS:

Lakeport is only 114 miles away from us, for the whole trip we traveled 419 round-trip.

351 miles of that was yesterday; we decided to go visit my father-in-law in Chico, CA since it was Father's Day.
This was an excellent trial for The Toaster, because that's more time/distance than the average we plan on driving on a typical day while going across the country. Also, it was hot. On the way back we passed through Orland, CA where it was 111 degrees (43.88 C.). The toaster ran great.

Three fill-ups.
Lakeport: 123 miles, 18.74mpg
Orland: 155 miles, 21.19mpg
Richmond: 141 miles, 24.23mpg

419 miles at an average of 21.38mpg.

-------------------------------------------------------------
As always; super pleased to see the people we knew, great to have met other VW folks, and overall just have a great and relaxing time. Thanks everyone!

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Looks like fun!
C.Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Brice............Thanks for the Cameo photo
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Buy The Toaster a Drink? Reply with quote

It's just about time for our trip with "The Toaster" across the country.

We leave next Wednesday (June 28th, after work).

We look forward to experiencing an adventure that many of you have had.
We follow in the footsteps of so many wonderful VW owners through the years.

We love reading folk's threads and write-ups of their long-trip travels, and this will be the longest road trip we've experienced with The Toaster.

A friend of ours, when they heard I am figuring roughly 45+ fill-ups, said;
"heck, I'd buy your Toaster a drink to help out your trip!"

...so this idea was born. Put it out there to friends, relatives acquaintances and even strangers if they wanted to join us vicariously by "Buying The Toaster a Drink".

Our friend coded a web page for it, and it's up.

As someone who has worked for non-profits most of his professional life, the "drinks" for The Toaster will come in handy,
but it's more about sharing the experience with anyone and everyone who likes the idea.

The FAQs on the website explain it best I think:
http://www.toasterdrink.com/

There will be plenty of posts here on this thread during the trip.

We are so thankful to everyone on TheSamba, and the VW community at large, for helping one another keep their Volkswagens on the road.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Good luck guys and have one on me.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Good luck guys and have one on me.

Thanks so much! ...we'll do as much as we can to keep things posted about the trip.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Zwei Getranke, mit besten Gewunsche an den Toaster und das Brot!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Have fun and drive safe! I'm looking forward to the updates.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Have a fun and safe journey, and a drink on me. Let me know if your travels bring you to VA, I'd love to say hello.

-Rich
74volksrodwv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I've sat here and read all 24 pages of this thread and all I can say is wow! I cant wait to see all the pictures from your epic road trip coming up. I drive my 67 deluxe a lot but its always inspiring to see folks like yall who don't hesitate to jump in and put hundreds and hundreds of miles on it over a weekend. Maybe once my kids get a little older and enjoy longer car rides I'll get to take family trips like this. Best of luck to yall and cant wait to see the updates.
1973 beetle(deceased)
1967 13 window deluxe
1968 deluxe bus
1973 bus(sold)
1978 westfalia(deceased)
1979 deluxe westfalia(sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

74volksrodwv wrote:
I've sat here and read all 24 pages of this thread and all I can say is wow! I cant wait to see all the pictures from your epic road trip coming up. I drive my 67 deluxe a lot but its always inspiring to see folks like yall who don't hesitate to jump in and put hundreds and hundreds of miles on it over a weekend. Maybe once my kids get a little older and enjoy longer car rides I'll get to take family trips like this. Best of luck to yall and cant wait to see the updates.

There is a key to the Toaster's upcoming success, and that is the BSA motto;

Be prepared
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Toaster this is NY control.

All systems go, expect Runway I80 East, cleared for takeoff...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buy The Toaster a Drink? Reply with quote

Hey DadaCheese, today is your cross country trip start day June 28, good luck and take lots of pictures. PM when you get to the NJ shore to stop over for dinner. Safe travels.

DadaCheese wrote:
It's just about time for our trip with "The Toaster" across the country.

We leave next Wednesday (June 28th, after work).

We look forward to experiencing an adventure that many of you have had.
We follow in the footsteps of so many wonderful VW owners through the years.

We love reading folk's threads and write-ups of their long-trip travels, and this will be the longest road trip we've experienced with The Toaster.

A friend of ours, when they heard I am figuring roughly 45+ fill-ups, said;
"heck, I'd buy your Toaster a drink to help out your trip!"

...so this idea was born. Put it out there to friends, relatives acquaintances and even strangers if they wanted to join us vicariously by "Buying The Toaster a Drink".

Our friend coded a web page for it, and it's up.

As someone who has worked for non-profits most of his professional life, the "drinks" for The Toaster will come in handy,
but it's more about sharing the experience with anyone and everyone who likes the idea.

The FAQs on the website explain it best I think:
http://www.toasterdrink.com/

There will be plenty of posts here on this thread during the trip.

We are so thankful to everyone on TheSamba, and the VW community at large, for helping one another keep their Volkswagens on the road.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Bon voyage! Hope you guys have a fun & safe trip!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Safe travels! Message me if/when you're around Detroit.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 47

Jump to: