Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
... I'm shooting for a return to NorCal again in April for the Kelley Park weekend festivities, so hopefully I'll run into you two again there!

Bill, I/we were so looking forward to Kelley Park again, AND that you can make it out again will make it all the more spectacular. PLUS we'd love to return some of your amazing hospitality too if at all possible.

BUT; we can't make it! We manged to get a dirt-cheap flight to Germany, and we haven't been in over six years. We'll be visiting our friends in the Bad Nauheim (Hessen) area, and Mainz (Rheinland-Pfalz) too, but this time we are also FINALLY going to make it to Wolfsburg!

You're just going to have to come out again, as our guest room is waiting. Sorry that we won't be at Kelly Park; it is one of our favorite meets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

No sweat guys! Awesome that you'll be getting to Wolfsburg. Be sure to spend a day in Autostat with their nice museum, but be sure to go over to the older VW Siftung Automuseum a couple miles away from the factory for lots more old VWs! A factory tour is also highly recommended! Call/email if you need more info!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sunday, February 25th, 2018
Great day for a drive!

Kathy and I got together yesterday with a few members of the great rag-tag group/club Deutchland Drivers.
It's a "club" connected mainly just via Facebook which encompasses the entirety of the greater Bay Area.

There are oddly few VW clubs in San Francisco and the East Bay (Berkeley, Oakland, Richmond) of California, so this club does a pretty good job of at least keeping everyone in contact.

Joseph (seen with full beard on the left below, owner of the 1971 squareback in the picture above, named; "Sally") organized a great cruise for anyone who could make it from Vallejo, CA to Sonoma and back.

Primarily on roads less traveled, we drove up and over lush green hills, through redwood groves, alongside Lake (reservoir) Hennessey, but also witnessing occasional scorched areas and completely destroyed homes that were victims of the October 2017 Northern California wildfires.

Kathy drove her '71 Ghia, and I piloted The Toaster.

It was an excellent group of folks, and we all got to enjoy a Mexican restaurant together in Sonoma.

Adam's 1959 bus we know well as we are often at the same meets, and he lives not too far, over in Martinez, CA.
Ralph, driving the 1971 convertible Beetle also lives in our town, and his entire family drives air-cooled VWs.

Today (Monday) it is raining in this part of California, but yesterday was perfect.
Hope you all have the chance to also be out and about in your buses.

swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Great story! I read through all of it. Cool, that you are able to make it to Wolfsburg finally. It is also on my list to do. If you ever make it to Switzerland, I‘m glad to offer you some Chäschuechli Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I think the Toaster would look great in Colorado Red...

Laughing
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I think the Toaster would look great in Colorado Red...
Laughing

Abscate... don't forget; you and your wonderful family are due for a visit out here in California.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was sent pictures this morning from friends in Germany.
The latest issue of "Motor Klassik" (4/2018) has been released, and The Toaster is in it.

This was the article written by Michael Orth, a friend of a friend who came to stay with us for a couple nights along with his wife in late fall 2017.
Michael travels Europe, and the world writing interesting articles about cars and car culture as a freelance writer.

I bought and downloaded the electronic version this morning, and the focus of the article is excellent; it embodies and explains (for a German-speaking readership) how the idea and impetus of a cross-country trip is something that most all Americans share. Even if folks haven't done it, most people have at least thought about it.
From Lewis & Clark to wagon trains to the gold rush; it's part of America's history and psyche.

Again; SO thankful to everyone who helped make that trip possible and we continue to do what we can to pay-it-forward to other folks too.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Ive got you on radar DadCheese

Im doing a lot of work North of you so Ill catch you one of these times
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Toaster Treasure discovered!

Discovered among papers in my parent's garage and sent up to me, I believe this is The Toaster's original manual.

Short recap: The Toaster (1967 Westfalia) was a tourist delivery.
My grandparents were the second owners, buying it from their neighbors around 1969.
My parents started driving it in the early 1970's when my grandfather couldn't drive any longer.
I began driving it in 1987, and it has been mine since then.

My dad likely tucked this manual into our family's garage back in the 1970's (yes; there's lots of junk that hasn't been touched in my parent's garage since then).

The two (non-VW) Triple-A pieces of paper in it (including a service guide for AAA-approved shops) are both copyrighted 1971.

Have other folks seen this particular manual cover before?
Might it specifically have been from the tourist delivery (which The Toaster is), or was this manual cover provided with ALL 1967 buses?
Either way, I DO believe this is the original manual that came with our Westfalia.

In other news...
There's a bus event tomorrow morning in Santa Cruz, CA.
It's not listed here on TheSamba.
This seems to be organized/listed on Facebook:

"Buses and Baristas"
Saturday, March 10th, 8 AM - 10 AM
3701 Portola Dr, Santa Cruz, CA 95062-5163
"Coffeetopia is excited to welcome us to their spacious parking lot for Buses and Coffee. Hope you can make it!"

https://www.facebook.com/events/2135555199999623/

Kathy and I will see if we can make it... it does mean (for us) getting up pretty early to drive to Santa Cruz to have coffee, and I'll need to have some coffee in order to go get some coffee.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Sweet find Bryce. Mine is also a TE 67 Westy and came with the same manual as yours along with a bunch of other manuals (Dealer pickup locations in Europe, etc) but my dealer folder was missing. It was sold at Bob Smith VW in Hollywood so I assumed would have come with a blue dealer manual from there like others but who knows.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Nice find !!!
'69 Bug
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Nice! From what I have seen, The 1967 manuals seem to be harder to find, especially in that condition, so that is a serious score.
Even better that it's the original.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

Have other folks seen this particular manual cover before?
Might it specifically have been from the tourist delivery (which The Toaster is), or was this [b]manual cover
provided with ALL 1967 buses?

I know nothing about buses, but your vinyl manual cover is identical to the one that left the factory with my tourist delivery '66 Beetle.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Are you still on your original engine case Bryce?

Looks like your engine number on the manual...
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Are you still on your original engine case Bryce?

Regretfully not... that was motors ago.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice! From what I have seen, The 1967 manuals seem to be harder to find, especially in that condition, so that is a serious score.
Even better that it's the original.

Thanks Everett. I have my dad (sadly not with us any more) to thank for never throwing anything away.

iowegian wrote:
I know nothing about buses, but your vinyl manual cover is identical to the one that left the factory with my tourist delivery '66 Beetle.

Thanks iowegian; I think that cinches it. At least in '66 and '67 this must of been the manual cover from Tourist delivery in Germany.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Early morning coffee in Santa Cruz California
We did attend the informal get-together "Buses and Baristas" yesterday (Saturday morning, March 10th, 2018)

As is expected, since these were all VW folks, everyone we met was wonderful.

In the end, it was five splits, four bay windows, and one Vanagon (although we all witnessed at least three other Vanagons drive down the street; likely unaware of the meet).

Got to talk to folks who have done Shasta, as well as Baja Mexico runs (something Kathy and I would like to do... particularly if we can caravan).

Also spoke with organizers of a show coming up in July:

"Nor Cal Dub Affair Car Show Festival & Dyno Day"
Saturday, July 21st, 2018 at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds in San Jose, CA.
www.Dubaffair.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/NCDubAffair

We stayed around until a little after 10am, went to downtown Santa Cruz and ended up also seeing the movie "I Tonya".
Nice day and great to talk to wonderful bus owners.

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Im glad you and Kathy could come out. Hope to see you again in Santa Cruz!
Next meetup is April 14.
Same spot, same time.

Mike
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Random unimportant musings.

1) Got some nice birthday gifts in the mail thanks to my mom.
2) Will be visiting Wolfsburg for a day in the middle of April (first time!).
3) Gathering engine peripherals/tin to swap on The Toaster's engine before summer is over.

These arrived at work today from my mom... well, she wanted to order them for me (they were on my birthday wish-list that Kathy sent over to my mom), but my mom called me and said; "I don't have an eBay account, can you order them and I'll pay for them?" My mom is fairly savvy with her computer, she is also 81, however. There's a nice VW-branded coffee canister that will be arriving too.

The stuff this guy has (German "store" on eBay) are nice, but not terribly cheap.
However, this decadence is lovingly accepted as a gift from my very kind mom.

Here's some of the shop's VW paraphernalia:
http://stores.ebay.com/jakobs-sammelsurium?_dmd=2&_nkw=vw

WOLFSBURG
Yep; finally going to see that town. ...and the factory, and the Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen.
Only one day though, because our trip to Germany will be a total of two weeks this time and we hope to see 90% of our friends while there.
That goal has us driving all over the northern 3/4ths of the country; Frankfurt, Bad Nauheim, Uelzen, Berlin, Mainz... and a number of towns in-between.
We'll be driving around in a 5-door Fiat Tipo that a friend is getting for us to use through his work.
It's been many years since we've gone and visited friends. We can't wait to be back. I'll try to post some VW photos, particularly of Wolfsburg, during our trip.

Gathering Tin
Since I use The Toaster often (not daily, but typically 4 times a week or so), when I do the project of replacing our heat riser intake manifold (The Toaster's heat riser is blocked), I'd like to get all the best/correct tin I can onto the motor (including flaps and thermostat) quickly, so I am buying and prepping parts in advance. What I already have on there (if/as any of it is correct) I'll be able to work on more leisurely to have as back-ups and/or if any of it is applicable to Kathy's '71 Ghia some of my old stuff might end up on her car one day.

NO; I don't have the original engine in the Toaster; likely this 1600 block is from a '70's bug or something.
Plus, I have been using a dog-house cooler since the late 1980's, and I will be keeping that as part of our engine's set-up.
As a guide to what tin pieces I need, I've been using one of Clara's photos of tin she did for her dad's bus.

New to me Manifold from vwsplitman:

Driving around the Bay...

Just a snap-shot photo from a Costco trip this past Saturday. Odd weather day; rained half the time, and the other half it looked like this:

I hope all of you are out and about enjoying the early spring in your buses.

EDIT ~

The coffee canister arrived! Holds a pound of coffee. Should fit in our SO-42's "spice rack".
This is just the kind of coffee container I've been wanting for The Toaster.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Looks like some fun adventures!
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Not much split-window bus information in this post, but Kathy and I arrived in Germany today.

Before we left, a co-worker of Kathy's gave us this nice 1955 VW ad... likely a reprint, very nice of her to think of us and get it at a paper-related swap meet:

...and these great 90-cent (Euro) postage stamps sre currently in the post office; that"s the current rate for a postcard to the U.S.

Haven't checked it out up close yet, but this Bay Window postal bus, owned by a local butcher near our friend's house in Steinfurth is for sale, roughly $17,300:

...and our friend's daughters made this nice craft-art split-window bus for us left on our pillow:

More updates about our current Germany trip (if VW related), later on. Particularly after our visit to Wolfsburg.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

as well as '65. My UT Westy has the same binder

DadaCheese wrote:

iowegian wrote:

Thanks iowegian; I think that cinches it. At least in '66 and '67 this must of been the manual cover from Tourist delivery in Germany.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 47

Jump to: