Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom made front crossmember
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Custom made front crossmember Reply with quote

Look at my new custom made front crossmember to fit on my early '61.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fit perfectly, heavy steel, laser cut and with all holes as per original. When you bought some parts from retailers and don't fit, you start to make your own parts. Cost more but fit!!! Now, i'm very happy with what I make with my bro. I will probably make more soon if you need one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need all the outriggers and crossmembers...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metalwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Rene, I hope to get the outriggers going in 18 gauge as soon as i finish up the jigs. What gauge steel are you using on the X members?, Later
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalwizard wrote:
Looks good Rene, I hope to get the outriggers going in 18 gauge as soon as i finish up the jigs. What gauge steel are you using on the X members?, Later

18 gauge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice.
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i make more, i will probably do it more user friendly... what do you think if i laser cut a lot of small holes, like 1/8" diameter, all around edges to plug weld?
Metalwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i wouldn't if it was me but i use a spot welder most of the time or a 1/4 hole or just bead weld the edges. But hey to each thier own, later
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopeod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rene p. l. wrote:
If i make more, i will probably do it more user friendly... what do you think if i laser cut a lot of small holes, like 1/8" diameter, all around edges to plug weld?

Did you ever make any more of these? I know it was 2005- but do you remember what they wouldve cost at a vw bus website vs how much it cost you to make it? Do you have a template?

Thanks, I need both front and rear for my 72 bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: