Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows if the locking front spindle-bearing nuts on the bay buses 68-79 would fit on the later 64-67 split bus spindles? I know the drums, bearings and brakes are the same so wonder if I could upgrade to these locking style nuts

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-axle-nut-dansk-211405669
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

yes. I use those on my bus.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Yes they fit, I have had them on mine since the 90ies.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Yes, they fit and work, and they are an improvement over the early double nut with lockplate setup. Highly recommended upgrade.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

So yes, bay spindle nuts work on a late split front spindle. So why will my hubs not go on?

As far as I can figure, there would be three causes:
bug hubs, drum not fully seated, or clamp nuts from some other car.

Hubs were sold to me as correct for bus

drum seems seated (but tests or measurements to doublecheck welcome)

Did later bays have bigger nuts? I dont see any obvious fresh contact points.

I have some aftermarket clamp nuts to try, but they are smaller and the finish on them is not nice, so prefer to use OG if possible. If nothing else I'll use the double nuts, but want to eliminate any other issues like loose drums first, obviously.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Those drums don't look right to me, look like 66-67 bug drums to me, early bus don't have the webbing /ribs, late 1 ton do, but look different.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

My original drums were stamped 211 405 615 B, and tho these are Brazillian BALI and not embossed, the NOS boxes had the same number.

This post has my concern about drum being slightly different, and meadurements taken.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10194958&highlight=scare#10194958

None of that means they aren't the wrong drum!
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Here are some pics of late OG drums I have, first pic has some rd. bosses, they are 67, yours have 14 mm lug bolts? Caps look taller also, but probably the pic angle

70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Your caps do seem taller.

Original drum

Drum openings same size at least.
-Robert Williams
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Tried the aftermarket clamp nuts; they’re fine, but smaller clamping area and smaller Allen bolt, so not as good as OG. Smaller, so should fit…. Nope, cap still won’t go on. Some more measurements reveal the issue
Original drum

Original cap

Brazilian drum

Whole mm wider. Probably not a good idea nor practical to grind down the drum, so any recommendations on caps of cheaper quality (which might deform a bit, or easier to cut wider)?
-Robert Williams
DadAdventure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Any recommendations on a source for OG spindle locking nuts, and if not, a source for the best current versions? I have '63 bus with 1 ton axles.

Thanks very much.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

70bus wrote:

Brazilian drum

Whole mm wider. Probably not a good idea nor practical to grind down the drum, so any recommendations on caps of cheaper quality (which might deform a bit, or easier to cut wider)?

Is there a Brazilian cap ?
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

I've seen bug ones but not bus so far...
-Robert Williams
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Find someone with a lathe, it's an easy job, then use the stock caps, you'll probably never replace the drums.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

I’ve ran into that problem before with some of the disc brake kits. I believe you can still buy those later caps new.

One source (I think these are the right ones)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175203112699?chn=ps&_...gJxn_D_BwE
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Thanks all; I think the path for now is to pick up a pair of those new ones, and if they dont fit take them to be machined. Next time I take off the drums, take THEM out to be machined, and then never worry about the caps. I have a friend with a small lathe who can handle the caps (and will be hapy they are clean). Or I'll win the lottery and buy a pair of those nice German WW drums....
-Robert Williams
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
Thanks all; I think the path for now is to pick up a pair of those new ones, and if they dont fit take them to be machined.

I would ask the person selling the new dust caps to measure the inside diameter.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

Does anyone here have a Brazil split window bus with similar drums? I wonder if there is a mismatch between the Brazil and German parts. Here's a picture of the part on a Kombi.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

ebay listing Greg pointed out says they are 53mm interior, which should do the trick. If not, they were cheap - and likely cheaper metal - so should be easy to turn or just bang into submission. We'll see.
-Robert Williams
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Will bay bus locking front spindle nuts work on 64-67 split bus? Reply with quote

It will be very nice ones you get them installed. I updated my listing to include the needed larger dust caps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: