Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED replacement H4 headlight
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

There are multiple threads, most are old or go down a rabbit hole when looking for a LED bulb that can replace a H4 55/60Watt bulb in a Hella "E" series 7" round headlight.

Seems the issue is the LED that are/were available send out the incorrect light pattern for the Hella headlight.

So, my question, has anyone found a good LED replacement for the Hella 'off road' headlight?

thank you!
Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

There are two vendors which produce (in Europe) road legal LED replacements for H4 and H7. They are not cheap and to be road legal they have to be tested and certified for the individual types of headlights.

https://www.philips.ie/c-e/au/car-lights/headlights/led-bulbs.html

The full Osram link did not work on theSamba but here is how you get there:

https://www.osram.com/cb/

Products -> Automotive -> Car lighting -> LED lamps (street-legal)

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

I’m using the Type-S bulbs available at Autozone for $60-ish. The pattern isn’t ideal, but they are far brighter than the Sylvania LEDs & really even the playing field with modern cars & trucks using HIDs & LEDs.

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/f...lsrc=aw.ds

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I’m using the Type-S bulbs available at Autozone for $60-ish. The pattern isn’t ideal, but they are far brighter than the Sylvania LEDs & really even the playing field with modern cars & trucks using HIDs & LEDs.

can you get us some beam pattern pictures? and which headlight bowl/lens you're using?
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

I perused that Phillips site and was unable to locate H4 LD replacements.

I'm liking the Type S alternatives.

I run my lights 24-7 when I'm driving Jerry, and the H4 55/60watt halogen pulls a pretty good amount of power, so that is my main reason for looking at LED's as an alternative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

can you get us some beam pattern pictures? and which headlight bowl/lens you're using?

Hella H4 headlights.

I need to make a few more adjustments, but I aim the low beam slightly to the right so the beam focuses primarily to the right shoulder/ditch, the high beam on the other hand skews high & to the left… it really sears the retinas of those assholes that won’t dim their lights.

I’ll try to get some pics tonight, but we’re supposed to get lots of rain & that definitely doesn’t show as well.

The only downside with this combination is that on high beam, you will blind yourself with reflective street signs. Laughing

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
garym999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

I run these in new Hella pods. A really authentic warm white colour and very bright. Because of that need good alignment but the pattern is OK to work with.

Just one note, do not necessarily expect the LEDs to last much longer than halogens. Not many manufacturers quote lifetimes but if you look at Osram and Phillips you will find some quotes that are 3000 hours. This is because in a retrofit package it’s really hard to wick the heat away from the LED chip so they fail earlier than they would in a LED headlamp designed from the ground up.

That is why the ones I have come with fan assisted cooling.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

The H4's in my 66 run hot as to heat your open hand when positioned in front of the lense. Inside the bus the headlight buckets act as heaters and my light switch and wiring at the switch are on the edge of odoriferous hot.

I'm aware ....solder up the fuse box fit a relay system...just have yet to do that. I like the look and specs on those AutoZone LED's, I'm still running a 12V generator system wonder if that would be an issue?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Erik G wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Hella H4 headlights.

I need to make a few more adjustments, but I aim the low beam slightly to the right so the beam focuses primarily to the right shoulder/ditch, the high beam on the other hand skews high & to the left… it really sears the retinas of those assholes that won’t dim their lights.

I’ll try to get some pics tonight, but we’re supposed to get lots of rain & that definitely doesn’t show as well.

The only downside with this combination is that on high beam, you will blind yourself with reflective street signs. Laughing

This one?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/552796100.htm?pn=55-2796-100-M44

I have some in my truck that are adjustable, meaning I can rotate the LED around once mounted, to get the best beam pattern available. These are not what I have but similar, I think the pic shows what I'm talking about. The problem I assume is how deep this makes everything, fans are great but if it's only venting to another sealed cavity, then a fan doesnt do much... anyways would something like this help?

https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headlight-Bulbs-7600LM-6000K/dp/B081BF75NQ?th=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headlight-Bulbs-7600LM-6000K/dp/B081BF75NQ?th=1

If only they would pay me to do spell check on them ads from overseas.
I would be rich and take my money and scoket away in a bank

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: LED replacement H4 headlight Reply with quote

At dawn this morning…

High beam

(I’m sure those neighbors love me) Twisted Evil

The issue with the light pattern is due to the fact that the LEDs are mounted on either side of the “blade”, which when installed, is positioned vertically. This leaves a dark area that splits the light, right in the middle of the pattern. When looking at the lights on low beam, you can see a little pie shaped wedge at the top, roughly 11:45-12:15. This would be light that would be focused onto the ground in front of the car. The inverse happens on high beam.(The top of the reflector focuses downward, the bottom of the reflector focuses upward.)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: