Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How I got home from work today
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sloppyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: How I got home from work today Reply with quote

The Van has had a strange problem over the last few weeks. Sputtering and acting like a bitch. I chased down vacuum leaks, cleaned or replaced filters, set points and timing, but still this strange and inconsistent lack of ignition problem persisted. As it turns out, it was a condenser I replaced a year ago. The condenser is fine, but the wire going to the tab for the points was (and I remember thinking at the time of install) was too tight. A little wiggling of the right wire while under the hood made it all clear to me. Guess what I'm doing this weekend...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least you've cleaned all manner of minor things up, so when you put in a new condenser you''ll have smoother everything.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the newer condensers have to be installed at an angle for the wire not to have excess tension in it.
sloppyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap. I thought that may be the case. Couldn't they put just a cm or 2 more wire on it? I mean, really. I'm just putting it out there so we all remember to check the obvious. That little condenser does a lot!
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all familiar with the early set ups, since you have a condenser, do you also have points? If so, why not switch to a Compufire or some other brand that eliminates the points and condenser? My '71 bays loved the compufire set up.

Hans
sloppyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I've ever looked into Compufire or any other such mods. I guess I like original set ups so I can follow manuals and instinct. Besides bucks, what are the drawbacks? I go threw a set of points about every three or four years or so. At $11 a pop, BFG. So sell me on this Compufire thingy.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points wear and change the dwell angle. As you know, it seems a condenser with the right wire is getting harder to find. On my families old air cooled engines points got changed every 6k. By then, starts where getting harder and the contacts where pitted. With the compufire, that all goes away. Timing and dwell stay the same, no need to pull dist or adjust timing. I got 10s of 1000s of miles without a single ignition failure. There is a reason later vans had hall sensors.

Hans
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With copper core plugs, I usually get about 20,000 out of a set of points before I have to change them out or file them flat. I have never had a problem with points getting out of time. The problem these days is finding a good set of points, sadly Bosch is just not an acceptable brand any more.
sloppyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ok. Sold. So what's the best bang or the buck? Any system better than the other? Is it distributor specific? Timing still set the same?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compufire and pertronix where the two most common brands 10-12 years ago, not sure what's popular or available now. Ask around in one of the aircooled forums and I'm sure someone will steer you in the right direction.

Hans
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: