Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
...Where did you get that, and how much?...

Ahwahnee wrote:
...But what I really recommend whatever light you use is a strobe unit like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ycgymjbu

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It flashes the light for a bit before coming on solid. Possibly annoying for the person behind you, but I think gets noticed too.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Just worried that I live in a small town and would like to do this on all the LED third lights I've added to my older cars. They're kinda high profile and I wouldn't want it to be an annoying thing with them.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

To revive an old thread: I'm not so hot on these GW third brake lights.

I installed one about 10 years ago. It eventually crumbled due to heat and UV.

About two years ago I installed another, thinking eight years was a reasonable amount of time for one to last, and they're cheap.

Now this one is blowing fuses. Not sure how that's happening because I haven't taken it apart, but I've isolated the problem to the third brake light and not the wiring.

Something to consider before you click pay.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I've found that the wire from the third brake light allows water to get inside in heavy rain where it passes under the back hatch seal. I woke one morning after a night of heavy rain to wet towels in my Vanaroo hatch compartments.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

We had the same issue, so ran the wire along the top of the hatch entry and down the left side.

The directions suggested cutting some fabric from the back of a Westy cabinet. I didn’t do that as it was a *terrible suggestion*, but otherwise have no complaints about the product.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

My brake light attaches to the westy shelf so no need to get the wiring from the hatch to the body.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285490

Run8Stud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

I've had mine for about a year now, stuck to the inside of the glass. I have the wiring carefully routed so as not to pinch or catch as the hatch opens & closes. Haven't had any trouble at all with it. I did clean the glass quite well before sticking it.

One thing I really like about it is the little indicator LED; since I don't have the rear shelf\AC cabinet installed right now, I can look in the rear-view and see that my brake lights are on.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

I got mine working again by reconnecting the wires inside that had snagged and were shorting.

I would pay more for a version similar in design but more robust. Any enterprising vendors out there? It shouldn't be hard to do.

Better to mount it to the shelf than to the glass, I think.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Californio wrote:

Dozens of offerings for shelf mounting LED brake lights direct from web vendors. No need for any type of "kit" development. This is something like I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019TRZR0W/ref=sspa_dk_d...F9kZXRhaWw
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Yes of course, these are all over the place and nothing particularly Vanagon about them. Thanks for the link, I just ordered one, report back in 10 years.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Glad to hear you revived the brake light. FWIW, I installed the GW third brake light in 2015 and it still works well so it's a pretty good value in my case. Since then I've gone full-ugly to ensure that several cars behind see what I'm doing.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

Whoa! Shocked Wink

“Can’t miss with that.”
— John Wayne, El Dorado

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

If you put it on the shelf don't you get a fair amount of reflection off the rear glass?

PDXWesty wrote:
Californio wrote:

Dozens of offerings for shelf mounting LED brake lights direct from web vendors. No need for any type of "kit" development. This is something like I used:

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Gowesty "third brake light"? Reply with quote

MacDude wrote:
If you put it on the shelf don't you get a fair amount of reflection off the rear glass?

PDXWesty wrote:
Californio wrote:

You would think so, but no. Nothing really noticible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: