Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New heater control valve defective?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: New heater control valve defective? Reply with quote

Got a new front heater control valve from VC a couple days ago. Came in a little bag that says classic VW parts or something similar. I installed it and it leaked way worse than the old one. Leaks right at where the control arm attaches to the shaft that turns the valve. A buddy said he had this problem but it cleared up in a week... Is it that the gaskets inside need time to swell up? Or am I just trying to make sense out of a defective part. Has anyone had this problem or can direct me to the appropriate thread. I did a little searching but couldn't find anything pertaining. Thanks much Vanagods.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new ones are crap. When my original broke I went through two different brands of new valves that leaked worse too. I ended up having an old original valve from a junker installed but it doesn't shut off completely so now have a bypass valve installed behind the glovebox to have heat either on or off.
Search for heater bypass and also someone modified a Ford heater valve to work.
Do the Ford mod and forget these crappy new valves.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, hope VC will refund me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: