Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer cable and dust cap compatibility
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Speedometer cable and dust cap compatibility Reply with quote

I have the 1985 tin can and want to know if the dust cap that I have is compatible with my 1985 here's the photo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was installed by a guy working in California Westys but I don't know if it was from an 85 or newer model because it does not work, to bad that Cesar was not there at the time when I got there because he is a wonderful person. when I left the shop it worked for like 7 miles but after that it just died on me. So I tested the instrument cluster and it worked fine. But when I did some tests after I noticed it died on me I raised the vehicle and noticed that the speedo cable at the dust cap was not spinning along with that dust cap that I got from that guy.

The question is does my dust cap needs like a C clamp or something to hold it to the dust cap? As you can see in the image it only has a wire or what ever it's called but don't know if it has to have a C clamp or something.

Thanks in advance for your help!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable and dust cap compatibility Reply with quote

The hole in the dust cap needs to be square shaped to match the square end of the cable. Both the hole and the cable end can get rounded and then the cap and cable don't turn together all the time like they should.

If the problem is the hole in the dust cap you can make the hole tight and square again. Take the cap off. Put it down on a solid piece of metal. Hot the area around the hole with a hammer to expand the metal and make the hole smaller. Then use a tiny jewelers file to make the hole square again and a good fit for the cable end.

Mark
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable and dust cap compatibility Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The hole in the dust cap needs to be square shaped to match the square end of the cable. Both the hole and the cable end can get rounded and then the cap and cable don't turn together all the time like they should.

If the problem is the hole in the dust cap you can make the hole tight and square again. Take the cap off. Put it down on a solid piece of metal. Hot the area around the hole with a hammer to expand the metal and make the hole smaller. Then use a tiny jewelers file to make the hole square again and a good fit for the cable end.

Mark

Thanks Mark I appreciate the idea!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: