Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hi-Lift Jack Warning
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

I'm sure many of you know this... Embarassed

While working on my marathon Transaxle removal this weekend, i used my hi-lift to jack the back while i placed jack stands under the jack points. All good going up.

The first lowering went well, although i've always been a bit leery of lowering the load with my jack.

The second one, not so well - I didn't get the dreaded handle slap and ratchet down uncontrolled, but i did some screeching and what i think, upon research, is called binding - although mine didn't bind - it dropped straight down.

Did this on the following lowering as well so i started doing some research.

Speak to the hand MAKE SURE YOUR MECHANISMS ARE WELL LUBRICATED Speak to the hand

That's all it took - i used some of my KTM chain lube which two guys said were there fav's. The book says some grease that I didn't have. Lots of you keep your jacks on the outside of the bus - uncovered maybe - so make sure you lube the jack before inserting it in your favorite jack points Shocked .

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

Did you lift the handle straight up vertical (before it 'fell') ? Vertical releases both pins.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

Hi-Lift instructions.

Quote:
The jack must have a load of 150 lbs. or more to lower step-by-step. Otherwise, the lifting mechanism will
slide down to the base plate, dropping your load. Ensure all bystanders are clear of the load being lowered.
1. Position the jack under the raised load and raise the stationary load (see Raising a Stationary Load).
2. Remove blocks from under the load.
3. Be sure the handle is in the upright position clipped to the steel standard bar before lowering the load.
4. Move the reversing latch to the down position.
5. Grasp the handle firmly with both hands. Carefully pump the handle up and down to lower the load.
6. The load will be lowered on each up stroke of the handle (refer to Binding if the jack binds).

http://www.hi-lift.com/media/pdfs/jack_instructions.pdf
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/fix-it-kit.html

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

I found this on a forum along with some official literature as well:

What you experienced with your HLJ is really quite common. It is the Cross Pin Spring and Cross Pin that is not functioning properly.
Maintenance is the key to prevent this but if it happens again there is a simple field fix that will allow you to continue with your recovery/jacking. I do suggest that you try this with a un-loaded HLJ first to see how it works mechanically before trying this in the middle of the night in poring rain. Keep in mind all of the safety concerns and the fact that a loaded HLJ requires 150 lbs to lower step by step or it will simply slide and drop your load.
When you are lowering the load, often times the "climbing pins" will bind in the holes of the main bar. This is a result of being exposed to the elements, gathering road grime, etc. When this happens all you have to do is grab a Leatherman Tool or Needle Nose Pliers and grab the pin and pull it into position, it will click and allow you to move the handle again, lowering the load on stop. Repeat as necessary until your load is no longer on the HLJ. Again for safety sake and so you do not hurt yourself, try this while the HLJ in not under load first but the next time it does you will not be slowed down, just whip out a Leatherman Tool and you are back into operation.
Of course this is a Band Aid fix to a larger problem, the bound pin…..Prior to every 4x4 excursion I go through a “Pre Run Check” of my rig and all recovery gear (of course I have a Post Run checklist as well). When it comes to recovery gear I check for accountability and to ensure that all gear is functional. This includes climbing up on my TJ and pulling off my HLJ from the roof rack, lube and inspect it. (THis may be asking to much for some folks I guess but I can not afford for a piece of gear to fail when I need it so I will go the extra mile.)
Obviously, the amount of crap the HLJ is exposed to the greater chance of grim binding the cross pin and climbing pin spring. By having it mounted on my roof rack it is exposed to the elements 24/7 and has direct contact with sand, dirt and mud. For those who mount he HLJ on the front of their bumper the amount of crap it gets exposed to increases, simply due to the proximity to the road. Other choose the rear of the vehicle in a verity of mounting locations. Those with horizontal mounts on the bumper get the Full Monty of road grim and dirt. If a poll was taken I would assume that those with the HLJ mounted there suffer from more HLF failures but that is just my guess.
As far as cleaning and lubricating; you can/should use white lithium grease, light penetrating oil, or a silicon / Teflon spray on the Steel Bar, Pitman Pin, Shear Bolt and of course the Climbing Pins and Springs. I do carry a a "Fix It Kit" for my HLJ just in case but have never had to use it.
Once again, just my opinion and it may differ from others with their own hard earned experiences….

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

and this from a hi-lift employee on a board:

hi-liftjackcompany
07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I am an employee of Hi-Lift Jack Company, so I wanted to respond to some of this discussion. First of, lubrication does seem to be the issue at hand for 90% of the claims describing the jack going up fine, but having problems coming down. Hi-Lift jacks are tested twice before leaving the factory and have lubrication added to them at that time. However, in the time it takes for the jacks to actually reach the end-user, the lubricant can dissipate. It is noted in the instruction manual and on the warning labels, that lubricating the jack well before use is important. The best way to keep it clean and lubricated is to lubricate it often, and then keep it covered with one of the many jack covers available on the market. We will be coming out with a new jack cover within the next few months that will be a neoprene zip-on cover for the Hi-Lift to help in this regard. I echo the comments of those that stressed the importance of respecting the Hi-Lift Jack. Anything that can lift up to 7,000 lbs. can be dangerous if not used correctly. In addition to the instruction manual available with the jack and online, we also have DVD's available at no charge for anyone that requests them by calling (800)233-2051 or requesting them on our website (www.hi-lift.com). This DVD demonstrates proper use of the jack and demonstrates many other uses for the Hi-Lift that make it so versatile and important in the off-road market... winching, pulling, clamping, stretching, prying. It offers much more versatility than any other lifting-only device. Lastly... a comment towards the person that claims that Hi-Lift is a knock-off of the Farm Jack. This is completely false. The Hi-Lift jack was originally called the Handyman Jack when it was invented back in 1905. We changed the name from Handyman to Hi-Lift back in the 1960's, but the same family has owned and operated the business all that time up until today. The family invented the jack in 1905, and all the knock-off jacks that have come along since are just imitators.

I've watched the vids and used it before successfully - but i've also read guy's reviews that have actually been knocked unconscious and had their jaws literally broken by these things... Shocked

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

it makes me laugh, every time i see one of those silly high lift jacks.
i wouldn't have one if they were free.
these are a much better option, unless your vehicle is not running.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Pump-Dual-Inflatab...mp;vxp=mtr

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

I have seen the exhaust jack type being used 2x and neither time it did what it was supposed to do and something else was used.
The only vanagon owner that I knew that owned one sold it off because it wasn't effective.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593024&highlight=xjack
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592468&highlight=exhaust+jack
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

I personally don't like those hi-lift style jacks. The idea of mounting one on the "outside" exposed to weather is not so good either IMO.

These military M151 jacks are very good. I have a couple of them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Green-Truck-M151-...mp;vxp=mtr

This one below is the bigger version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Military-Truck-Scissors...mp;vxp=mtr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

A Hi-Lift will do what neither the air bag and other jack linked to will come close to doing. Though while being extremely versatile they can also be extremely dangerous so use them with extreme care. Definite keep them lubed well using most any available lube. The tap of a light hammer or stick against the main body of the jack will typically free a reluctant pin but always be wary of the handle when doing anything with these jack.

After the winches are all burned out and the come-a-longs are a mess of snared cables and bent metal having two rugged men working the handle on a hi-lift is kind of like having the cavalry coming over the hill. Push, pull, lift, bend, stretch, straighten, crush this is a tool that will pretty much do it all.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

I worked on a farm and used a Hi-Lift jack for lots of things. They were extremely versatile because they extend almost 4 feet. You have to pay attention to motion of the pins, to make sure it is advancing properly. If a pin has 'inserted'..... it is safe. If both pins are out, it is not safe, better figure out how to get a pin in.

It's not a tool for everyone (or every jaw Shocked ). I wouldn't mount one to my van but on some 4wd trips it would be a wise tool to have along. Then I'd forget to bring it along for one time I needed it the most. Confused

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

The almost operative word for hi lift jack is 'high' and for syncroists with lifted rides it's virtually a necessity. Yes, it's not a toy and I'll echo it needs to be kept in good condition and closely observed while operating. I always use from the sides and never crawl underneath with only the jack as a lift.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

I've got a highlift mounted inside behind my passenger seat, but I don't do nearly enough offroading to actually need it. It's such a pain to use that for farting around in the driveway and rotating tires I've got a bottle jack-stand.

Works great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I have seen the exhaust jack type being used 2x and neither time it did what it was supposed to do and something else was used.
The only vanagon owner that I knew that owned one sold it off because it wasn't effective.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593024&highlight=xjack
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592468&highlight=exhaust+jack

When I bought the Bushranger XJack, I thought it would be the best think since sliced bread. Goes to show, don't recommend anything without using it yourself. The exhaust jack is dangerous. I returned mine after trying it in my driveway.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Did you lift the handle straight up vertical (before it 'fell') ? Vertical releases both pins.

I don't think i did that; i might have - I found that while lowering, you just had to use a pretty deliberate (and quite narrow) range of motion - i just watched the pins. when one was out, the next was in - then up with the handle and vice versa. The lube made it smooth.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

When a hi-lift has over 150 lbs on it both pins don't release. Watch the video to the end when the weight is off of the jack.

Link

A cover and regular maintenance(lube) like the OP pointed out is good for the tool.

Link
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
The almost operative word for hi lift jack is 'high' and for syncroists with lifted rides it's virtually a necessity.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

thx for the reminder to lube my hi-lift jack!

I do it every 30 years...
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
I've got a bottle jack-stand.

Works great.

Your post got me searching and quite a few reviews were disparaging because of leakage. Several stated that the jack failed when it was up and that they had to get another jack to get it out. One reviewer liked the design so much that he is on his third jack, the other two he owned failed within 3 years. How long have you owned it and how much have you used it in that time? I like the design, but am wary from the negative reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Jack Warning Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
WestyBob wrote:
The almost operative word for hi lift jack is 'high' and for syncroists with lifted rides it's virtually a necessity.

YEAH ... dats high !!! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: