Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Did you see the peroxide black light treatment? People use it on old Apple 2E restorations and or any white colored plastic that has yellowed with age?

UV Black light acts as a 24 UV source - indoors Wink

I was going to try this out on the snorkels for the BN4.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Did you see the peroxide black light treatment? People use it on old Apple 2E restorations and or any white colored plastic that has yellowed with age?

UV Black light acts as a 24 UV source - indoors Wink

I was going to try this out on the snorkels for the BN4.

Thanks very much for this! I totally forgot about using peroxide and UV! That hair product video looks interesting to try. I will need to revisit the drawers once I get done with the doors. Much appreciated. Very Happy
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

You two are sick. The trinkets of knowledge l learn from the likes of you guys is awesome.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

The End of the Road

It's probably moot by now, but I feel like this thread needed a little "closure". So here we go:

You see, after chugging away at this labor of love/hate for nearly 4 years, the time came where I simply had to stop. Over the last couple of years it became increasingly clear my long-held career would no longer provide stable, local employment. Restoring a bus and all the stuff that goes along with that just didn't fit in with the plan to either move cross-country to locate stable work in my field, or at worst having to find another means to make a living.

About the time the decision was made to sell the bus, I discovered a fellow Samba and IAC member, 'tommu' was looking for one. I approached him with the idea to buy ours, we struck a deal, and the bus was sold before ever being put on the market. That's why you never saw it up for sale.

This was a damn hard decision to make. While it's a great help now to have one less big thing to worry about moving into the great unknown, there's no comfort to be found in having spent so much effort and time without finally getting to camp out in this Westy.

But I am happy to have passed this bus along to someone who's entire family seems so poised to preserve and most importantly enjoy this historically important and just plain "cool" machine. I'm sure tommu will enjoy the same support and encouragement you've all provided me over these several past years.

I'll just leave you with these final photos.

I never did share a photo with the sink/stove cabinet doors on, so here ya go:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Getting ready to ship the bus. Bunch of restoration parts and supplies packed up inside.

More stuff packed up, protected for shipment.

The really, really huge carrier arrived for shipping all the way back to California where this Westy originally came from.

My last view of the bus. Sad

Thank you, Samba Community.
Jon E. - aka 'eche_bus'
P.S. 'eche' is my wife's initials
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
But I am happy to have passed this bus along to someone who's entire family seems so poised to preserve and most importantly enjoy this historically important and just plain "cool" machine. I'm sure tommu will enjoy the same support and encouragement you've all provided me over these several past years.

Thank you Jon. My intention is to do exactly as you describe. I need to say - I don't think I've ever dealt with a more honest and conscientous Previous Owner.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Wow. I feel your pain brother. Tommu is getting a hell of an anal retentive bus. And I mean that with the utmost respect and admiration.

The journey was a pleasure to watch and learn from. Taking advice and hands on practical experience to my own projects. I am still a relatively new comer to the Bay world and if it wasn't for threads like this Id be less educated and further behind.

I could only hope that your passion will follow into anther bus and continue the awesome chain of information you have given the samba.

Take care my friend and job well done.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

say it ain't so

"what good are tractors without violins ?" jose figueres
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

John, I would like to say sorry, from the bottom of my heart. You have provided a knowledge, patience, and sharing that is not lost on those who love these busses as much as you do. The entire community is better for having you create and post on this thread.

I loved the fact that you always got back to me ASAP, that is also not lost.

My best to you and all of your future endeavors.

Peter
Ludwig van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to see this thread come to an end. Your work has been an inspiration to me and doubtless to many others. Best of luck in your future adventures, and thanks for decoding the thread's title.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Shocked Wow!, well sometimes you've gotta' do what you've gotta' do, sorry to hear about the job situation, you aren't the first and likely not the last in a similar situation, that must have been a really tough decision.

Good to see the bus is going to a good home, Tommu definitely scored big time. I hope you'll still come around and visit the forum now and then, you've definitely raised the bar for attention to detail and well reseached approaches to tasks, I wish there were more members like you around here.

Good luck with the career change!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

I want to also say thank you for your excellent thread and amazing desire to make this bus better than new. It was inspirational for sure.

We are all hoping you get resettled and situated in your professional life. Then, reappear here with your new bus you're going to restore.

Good luck to you sir.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Quite sad to see this bus leave the legendary eche_bus

I enjoyed reading every word of this thread.
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Jon has been a HUGE inspiration to me with his attention to detail and a great friend. There is no doubt in my mind once everything falls into place he will be back with an even better Westy. If and when you decide to open Pandora's box again your close friends will have your back! You should be VERY proud of what you have contributed to the VW community. And I for one can't thank you enough for your guidance. Once you find your home....I will find you another Westy if you want to continue chasing the dream.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Sonofabitch! That is NOT what I expected to read in the latest post!

Its sad to learn of this, but I do recall our phone conversations regarding your work and chasing it, etc. and that was way back when you refurbished the Westfalia battery timer charge panels. I'm sorry that you have to let the Westy go.

But I am glad to have talked with you and encourage you to share your hard-earned wisdom here in this forum. Your craftsmanship is seriously impressive, and I am proud to say I have one of those panels!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Wow.
I'm very sorry to hear that you had to part with the bus, I'm sure you made a very reasoned decision, and I've no doubt it was for the best. Looks like it was fun while it lasted! All I can say is, you clearly have many, many attributes that will be gold dust for a future employer.
I have really enjoyed the journey this thread has taken us on, and I regard it as the gold standard for attention to detail. It has inspired and motivated me to make the best I can of my VW projects!
Tommu, you have lucked out in the best way possible! It would take a pretty impressive owner to improve on the state of the bus, but if you're like the rest of us, you can hopefully slow the progress of time! Unlike most of us, you won't be able to blame the PO! Enjoy the bus as she should be enjoyed, and have fun! There's no shortage of advice here when you need it!
Best wishes and good luck to old and new owners!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

I've seen your bus in person Jon, it's fantastic. If your still living in the area this summer, I hope you'll join us for another meet-up with Colin comes through town this June.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Wow, very sorry to hear this. I have followed and referenced this thread too many times to count. It has been inspirational and informative. I appreciate the time and effort that you took to document and share your wealth of knowledge and attention to detail, it definitely gave me the courage to tackle a few projects.

Good luck and I am sure that another lucky bus will find its way to you.
hidude208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

Jon,

Your work is truly inspiring and beautiful! thank you for the courage you gave some of us to take on projects that were beyond our capacity, and the diligent write ups/documentation of your work along the way. I hope you get the greatest job, and that it gives you a wild hair to take on another bus project and start a new thread. Best of luck!

-Rob

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-37955.htm

SGKent wrote:
it is called rust. You either cut pieces off a donor or make the parts. Welcome to owning a VW
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

I must say, I was reading your thread last year and caught up on two or three years of your build in just a few nights. Couldn't put it down. I'm in the middle of a preservation myself and it really motivated me to SLOW DOWN and take my time instead of rushing through the repairs. I even went back through several pieces I thought were done and re-prepped them. It's really paying off.

Thanks for posting so much and sharing what products produce the best results. Very helpful.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: eche_bus: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper Reply with quote

To all:

Reading your outpouring of support, encouragement, and appreciation has been a emotional experience. Just ... wow ... thank you so much! Knowing I'd made such a positive difference by sharing this restoration work with you means a great deal, and takes quite a bit of the sting out of having to part with this bus.

I do encourage everyone reading this to continue to try to improve the quality of your VW restorations any way you can. Your continued enjoyment critically depends on the availability of parts, and demanding quality and striving to "do it once, do it right" is the only way that can improve.

Bye for now, but hope to "see you around"! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 37

Jump to: