Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock vs Weber
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Stock vs Weber Reply with quote

I think my stock carbs 34PDSIT 2/3 are shot! What is a good replacement?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock vs Weber Reply with quote

Small webers with quality linkage
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock vs Weber Reply with quote

down the rabbit hole we go
Mober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock vs Weber Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
down the rabbit hole we go

Ha just repost what you told me this week about rebuilt vs new
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stock vs Weber Reply with quote

koho60 wrote:
I think my stock carbs 34PDSIT 2/3 are shot! What is a good replacement?

Rebuilt PDSIT by an experienced carb builder
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stock vs Weber Reply with quote

I would consider having your carbs rebuilt by Tim at Volkzbitz. I used to hate those carbs when I got my bus in the early 90’s. They were already worn out and I didn’t understand them. I put them in a box until a few years ago when I sent them to Tim. They looked fantastic when they came back and cost less than a budget set of dual carbs. Turn around time was quicker than expected. Tim asked if I wanted the metal parts replated and I decided to just let Tim do his thing. It was awhile before I put them on as I still was unsure about my ability to set them up.

Last summer, I finished up a full engine rebuild and decided that it was time to give them a try. Surprisingly, they were not that hard to set up. I only did the initial zeroing of the carbs, eyeballed the linkage and did minimal adjustments once I started them up. I really like them. In late December, I did a 600 mile round trip to northern Maine and the cold weather performance was a pleasant surprise. They work well with my 2l engine and the original 003 automatic transmission. The stock air cleaner is much quieter than the air filters on aftermarket carbs and allows me to use the original preheat and plumbing for the oil breather and charcoal canister. I really enjoy no longer having fuel and crankcase smells. I know I would get more power with bigger carbs, but I have plenty of power for reliable highway driving on fairly close to stock engine. The stock linkage is also very straightforward and well made compared to the typical aftermarket linkage found on carb kits.

I have also run 34 ICT’s and a single progressive. Both were quite workable, but lacked the drivability of the originals. I wouldn’t really recommend the PDSIT’s for a performance engine build…it also depends on how you use your bus. One of the reasons that I suggest that you consider them is that they are already on your bus. More than likely you have all or most of the original parts, which puts you ahead of buying them in a box of missing hard to find parts. Just something to consider.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: