Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake pressure regulator valve causing problems? Solved!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollyacnelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pressure regulator valve causing problems? Solved!!!! Reply with quote

Ok- wow amazing info!!!!-So i was told this is something i need to track down by a mechanic in california as i have a leak and he said this was it and i need to check my brake fluid all the time. It isnt always consistent when it leaks either.

I have a 77bus - is it similar with just clean out and paper gasket in that way? Any possible leads on refurb or new ones? I emailed german supply - maybe they can help...

Thanks,
Holly
jadney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pressure regulator valve causing problems? Solved!!!! Reply with quote

I do a lot of Type 3 calipers and master cylinders, but I recently worked over a set for someone with a '79 bus. Out of caution, I asked him to send me the proportioning valve, too, just to make sure everything was in good shape. I ended up rebuilding it, just to get the rust and dirt out of it. In the end, I only needed to make a new paper gasket; everything else was in good condition once the bores were honed and it was all cleaned up.

Finding this thread helped me understand what was going on here and encouraged me to fix this valve.

I charged $50 for this repair, which was only a few bucks more than what I had to invest in some new hones for the small bores. I expect to be able to do the same for anyone else with either version of this valve (with or without bleeder) and that would enable me to recover more of my investment in those small flex hones.

That valve is a very interesting design, but the one I worked over was filled with crud that made me wonder how long it had been since it had worked properly.

Email me if you've got one that needs attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pressure regulator valve causing problems? Solved!!!! Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks for offering a service Jim! Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pressure regulator valve causing problems? Solved!!!! Reply with quote

My regulator is leaking at the seams. To fashion a new gasket is there a specific kind of paper that is needed or will any paper gasket material do the trick?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pressure regulator valve causing problems? Solved!!!! Reply with quote

Scott at German Supply has been doing the valves for years.
Loftus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pressure regulator valve causing problems? Solved!!!! Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
My regulator is leaking at the seams. To fashion a new gasket is there a specific kind of paper that is needed or will any paper gasket material do the trick?

When I did mine I used KARROPAK brand gasket paper. I could only reference against measurements I took from the old gasket (took a bit into account for crush). I couldn't find any specs on the gasket material so that is what I used.

Replacement paper shown beside original gasket
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Replacement paper thickness

Original paper thickness

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: