Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the Worst Vanagon Color?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
It is entirely possible that I am about to end up with a westy in a color that I know will offend at least half of you, and will probably make it end up in the Hall of Shame thread at least once. (Waiting to hear back from the mechanic doing the PPI today.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or turn that stripe Gold and Geaux Tigers!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Venture Bros.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

or with any one of various changes to the stripe....

The Lakers (NBA)
Northwestern (NCAA)
Texas Christian (NCAA)
Ravens (NFL)
Vikings (NFL)
Rockies (MLB)
Perth Glory (Soccer)
Hakoah Ramat Gan (Soccer)
Real Valladolid (Soccer)
LA Kings (NHL)
Phoenix Suns (NBA)
Clemson (NCAA)
East Carolina (NCAA)
and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment...

I live in a place where the sports colors are either Maroon/Silver, or Copper/Gold/Silver...

I think instead, if this van is to be mine, it is going to be a super villain... Or rather this particular super villain:

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Venture Bros.

Right on the nose!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Right on Dwarf! Hope you've found the one!

Quote:
I dig that color.

Thanks, I'll PM you the name of that color since you'll be needing a respray soon. I don't want to post it because I'm sure everyone will want to copy it. Wink

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

I'll echo the disdain for Blue interiors (and really, Blue exteriors as well... except Wolfram grey) but opinions are a plenty!

Personally, I LIKE the tan interior (not only because I have one Laughing ) - they hide dust and dirt very well, and it matches my Nevada Beige paint.

looks sooo good in its natural environment Cool

ps - I like that door panel a LOT Casey.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
I'll echo the disdain for Blue interiors (and really, Blue exteriors as well... except Wolfram grey) but opinions are a plenty!

Personally, I LIKE the tan interior (not only because I have one Laughing ) - they hide dust and dirt very well, and it matches my Nevada Beige paint.

looks sooo good in its natural environment Cool

ps - I like that door panel a LOT Casey.

What is this paint code? Looks a lot like my "bast beige" 86 syncro paint code LL1M down to the brown stripe at the belt

canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
I'll echo the disdain for Blue interiors (and really, Blue exteriors as well...

Ready for a laugh? I agree with this, HOWEVER, look what I bought today! Laughing

It's getting lowered, 17's and a 2.5L Subaru, that should help as will getting rid of the purple tint Very Happy
May also convert to a grey interior.

Excuse the poor quality pics.

Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

as a color expert Rolling Eyes and having more experience with color than most people i say 'merian' is the worst color ever made. artists study color and most people roll their eyes but its something that has a science behind it. just like arguing with your baker about bread,your lawyer about the law you shoudlnt argue with your artists about color! #Bad Talk obviously everyone has their opinions but color theory is based on science. cars that are unnatural colors that arent found in nature in great abundance are highly offensive. :fist: blue is cool, black is not real, white is everything,red is horrible,yellow is ok and so is green but brown is poop and dead trees and dirt. :2gunfire: Brown Vanagon
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

So... what about purple?

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

its one of my favorite colors actually but its not always great on a car. purple is roadkill guts and the sky at the right time or really cool flowers.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
So... what about purple?

I think it looks GREAT on a Westy... but it's gonna be extra HOT in the summertime Razz .
Synkraut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

IIRC black was only done on some Tristars. I like it there but otherwise I'm not a great fan of black vanagons. Maybe that's because there are so many black cars out there and the vanagon is one of the few vehicles that actually look nice in almost any colour.
We also have a (black) Audi A6, now imagine one of those in bright green, baby bleu, orange, yellow, beige,... that would really suck!

Cheers, André
'07 Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
as a color expert Rolling Eyes and having more experience with color than most people i say 'merian' is the worst color ever made. artists study color and most people roll their eyes but its something that has a science behind it. just like arguing with your baker about bread,your lawyer about the law you shoudlnt argue with your artists about color! #Bad Talk obviously everyone has their opinions but color theory is based on science. cars that are unnatural colors that arent found in nature in great abundance are highly offensive. :fist: blue is cool, black is not real, white is everything,red is horrible,yellow is ok and so is green but brown is poop and dead trees and dirt. :2gunfire: Brown Vanagon

It's rare to see so much utter nonsense packed into a single short post. Impressive. Applause d'oh!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:

It's rare to see so much utter nonsense packed into a single short post. Impressive. Applause d'oh!

Right on Andrew! I think bright colors work fine on some cars but I don't want my camper "yelling" at nature at the campsite. Bright colors on my ww kayak so I can find it downstream from a swim, sure. Climbing gear so I don't leave a cam in the dirt at dusk, sure. A ski jacket so my kid can spot me on the slope, sure. In an art gallery, sure. My camper, not so much. Earth, dirt, wood, that's about right. To each his own. (no offense to Dwarf's potential purple people eater)

-d

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

How does one become a color expert? Is there an app for that, or some kind of online course I can take? Inquiring minds want to know
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
How does one become a color expert? Is there an app for that, or some kind of online course I can take? Inquiring minds want to know

I can't speak for him... but my wife is a color expert...

To answer your question... art school with an emphasis on color studies, and her postgrad thesis was on color.

She is my color czar

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Holy shit...my grad school thesis was boring as hell in comparison.

What does she think of the purple box?
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
It is entirely possible that I am about to end up with a westy in a color that I know will offend at least half of you, and will probably make it end up in the Hall of Shame thread at least once. (Waiting to hear back from the mechanic doing the PPI today.)

is this one in denver? There's a similar purple van here with a tan stripe partially covered in mosaic tile... i see it around cap hill all the time. it's so ugly that it has partially crossed the boundary back into being good looking again.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the Worst Vanagon Color? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

YEAH YOU RIGHT!

Mine would look like this if I had my way, but then my loved ones would never ride in it.

And to the color expert, purple kicks ass. It's widely accepted that people who don't like purple generally have no taste, no sense of humor, or just don't look good in it. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: