Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is a Baja Bug right for me?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doejunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Is a Baja Bug right for me? Reply with quote

Hi, I know I have seen tons of threads like this but I am still trying to make my decision and any input would help!

I am a student at the University of Vermont and currently drive a 99 jeep xj. I love the car but my Dad totaled his car and needs the jeep more than I do. I have wanted to buy a Baja for over a year and now that I have some money and don't have another car I am seriously considering buying one. I know a little bit about cars, did all the maintenance and repairs on my jeep, but not much about VWs. I am looking at one now that seems to have been completely rebuilt and kept in very good condition. So assuming I purchase a baja in good condition, how much maintenance would it require?

Also wondering how a baja would fair in the VT winters? I do have a one car garage where I live, but I imagine it would get tough making my 5 other roommates move their cars every time I wanted to get in or out? So would I be able to keep my baja out in the elements? Would the car start in low temps and with snow on the engine? My jeep didn't have any heat so I am used to bundling up and bringing blankets with me, but what other options are there for staying warm in your baja? I have heard about electric and gas heaters but are any of them safe and effective?

(mainly concerned with the car starting in low temp, 0-20, and snow, rain and ice accumulating on engine)

I know I have a lot of questions wedged in there but any feedback would help. Thanks, Joe.
thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you hoping to spend?
Crash Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with stock based bajas is the amount of tinkering it takes to keep them going. Aircooled VW's are known for their durability but not really reliability. You will be messing with brakes and the engine quite a bit to make it run right.

Other than that it is a cheap way to get into a fun vehicle that you can gradually upgrade. For where you are at I would start with a gas heater and good snow tires.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: winter and VW's Reply with quote

I had my '65 bug with me in Japan back in 2004. We were up north at Misawa and the snow was brutal. We would average 10ft of snow a year and that little 1600 with dual kadron carburetors would start up every single time. I would just have to baby it through the warm up for a few minutes while the short Kadron manifolds heated up. If you run a single carb you have to run preheat tubes that work so your aif fuel mixture does not freeze on its way through the manifold. Dual carbs will typically warm up faster than singles. If you decide to run a single carb make sure you do a search on manifold preheat and implement whatever it takes to make sure your manifold heats up quickly.
I ran studded snow tires and really enjoyed driving that bug in the snow.
Yes I think it will be a good fit for you. If you've already been daily drivering a jeep with no heat, you've got it covered.
doejunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Baja I am looking at, I am hoping the guy will come down on the price a little because I don't think I am willing to spend 4,500$. What do you guys think?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3379665140.html
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doejunn wrote:
This is the Baja I am looking at, I am hoping the guy will come down on the price a little because I don't think I am willing to spend 4,500$. What do you guys think?

Its high priced there is no doubt about it. The guy definitely loves his car and he feels pretty confident in how he's built it. That should say something to you about whether it'd be a reliable car.
It comes down to your call.
utahclaimjumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many things that determine value,, you would not buy mine for 4500.00.>>>Dan
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the heater boxes and heat risers are there. 009 distributor and 34 carburetor are not a great match, but many people can get them going okay.

I've had similar engines in sub-zero weather and have had little trouble starting, even at 4 below. You will need to give it some time to get warm when it's that cold.

I'd suggest finding some method of pre-heating the air going into the carb. Good door seals and making sure that dash is air tight will go a long way to keeping you warm, but if it were mine, I'd be installing a gas heater.

$4500 seems a little steep, but it does have four cigarette lighters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crawdizz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. If your not sure about baja's and air cooled vw's. (Which where designed for cold German winters and ease of fixing or the every day person). You need to get the John Muir's book "How to keep you Volkswagen alive" and "baja bugs and buggys" by Jeff Hibbard To get started. Mine pumps out heat like a champ once its warmed up. Also check the pan and battery tray for rust Lots of people on here get all excited about "rust free" vw's that they bought to find that they have to pull the body off and replace pans and battery trays
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, the seller is asking $4500? I do not see four and a half G's of car there. Three and a half might be more realistic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
crawdizz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of money for a car with "a little rust here and there".. any mention of rust and i become suspect. i had 1 dot of rust under my battery and that turned out to need the whole battery tray replaced. Plus where is it? If it was floating down main street usa during "sandy" it might need a lot more work than the fresh wash job for the cl add pictures
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doejunn wrote:

There is some funny business going on with that car. A 69 does not have the crescent vents behind the quarter windows.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
doejunn wrote:

There is some funny business going on with that car. A 69 does not have the crescent vents behind the quarter windows.
X2.... keep looking, you can do better at that price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doejunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. Yea I looked into the vent on the 69... no such thing. A little sketchy. I called the guy to ask him a few questions but I am waiting to hear back.
I found another one a lot closer to where I live but again this baja is a little out of my budget. But suppose the guy is negotiable on price. What do you guys think?

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3375741963.html
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time... find the right one for you. Keep in mind that somtimes saving $1k at purchase can quickly cost you thousands in a very short time. Finding one that is very close to already having all you reaaly want in a baja and paying for it, is cheaper than settling by initial $, then speding A TON of money making a lesser car into that. JMO. Smile (I don't see the 2nd choice/pic as a $5k ride either).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard I like to look around by is that generally the uglier cars are better
equipped (not always the case)

Sometimes the paint and body lift are pretty but that money may have been better spent on some new shocks or a rebuilt transmission. Same can be said for the opposite. Some of the best cars I've owned haven't been real lookers, but they look way better cruising past the guy broken down on the side of the road.

Lots of good advice from everyone else on here too! Hope it helps
Crash Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car has even less options than the first one. Stock seats suck. I don't see $2500 in that one. I do have to say that is one custom shifter. Everyone should have a three foot long shifter in their bug. Or not...

Keep in mind also that if you drive it in the winter you will need tire coverage or the gestapo will harass you. It is slightly different between states but most places want full coverage and mud flaps. Mostly it is what you can get away with.

If you are mechanical at all you might consider getting a stock street bug and installing the baja kit, exhaust, and tires yourself. That way you know you don't have a pre-thrashed offroad car.

Something like this: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/3457912344.html
would be a great start.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja bugs are just plain money pits i swear worse then a boat... Your happy at first then you will want more... You will want to go 3x3 rear arms then you will need coilover shocks oh wait then 930 cv's and axels and then oh wait a bus tranny would be nice!! then you will want more power so there gos more money into the motor then you will want better front suspension so you go wider beam and coilovers then you want more power soo then you wanna go turbo then you break your transmission...

You can see how this is a vicious cycle and before ya know it your gonna have 20 grand wrapped up into a vw bug with big tires and your gonna be like man i could be rolling around in a corvette but no i drive a vw bug with big tires...

Thanks for reading my rant.... Baja kid out time to go back to work so i can buy more parts... Later

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
doejunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with the guy about the first car I posted. I asked him about the rear vents on the "69" and he said that the body was 72 and that the engine and pan were a 69. Said he rebuilt the top end of the engine about 10,000 ago and that the heater boxes are still in place and in working order. Said he has an electric dash heater to defrost the window. I asked if there was any flooding from sandy and he said he is away from coast and no flooding.

He still seems stubborn on the price but I am thinking of offering 3,000$ and if he thinks its too low then oh well I'll keep looking.
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doejunn wrote:
I spoke with the guy about the first car I posted. I asked him about the rear vents on the "69" and he said that the body was 72 and that the engine and pan were a 69. Said he rebuilt the top end of the engine about 10,000 ago and that the heater boxes are still in place and in working order. Said he has an electric dash heater to defrost the window. I asked if there was any flooding from sandy and he said he is away from coast and no flooding.

He still seems stubborn on the price but I am thinking of offering 3,000$ and if he thinks its too low then oh well I'll keep looking.

In all seriousness though the first one dident look half bad great start for a baja

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: