Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ordering Woes - Costly Return Policies Unfair?
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benrusso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Ordering Woes - Costly Return Policies Unfair? Reply with quote

I ordered a part online - a bottom roller for the slide door. The problem is I ordered the driver-side door roller by mistake (I need one for the more common passenger-side door). I realized this only after the part was in my hand and after rechecking the online store's stock. Rookie mistake I guess.

Now I'm faced with restocking and reboxing fees that, combined with the cost of shipping back and forth, doesn't even make it worthwhile to return. It also leaves a bad taste for ordering from this store again - kind of merciless and unforgiving on their part, really.

Here's the math:
Cost of part: $59.95
Shipping: $18.46
Return Shipping: $12.88 ($5 less to return? hmm)
Restocking fee: $11.99 (20%)
Reboxing fee: $5.00-10.00
Shipping: $18.46 (if I order the new part)
Total (minus part): $66.79

Has anybody else experienced ridiculous return policies?
Do any dealers on here want to comment on their restock/rebox fees?
From both sides: Is it really fair to charge 20-30% to return a product?

Oh, and PS: Does anybody need a bottom roller assembly for a driver-side slide door? Smile

(Thanks for letting me vent.)
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've never been a fan of restocking fees but I understand them. I takes effort to receive, unpack, inspect, replace in stock and update inventory and paperwork. That effort takes time and costs money. Also, often in some situations parts are drop shipped from a manufacturer or distributor, this creates a bigger hassle [more $$$], The part may not be a big mover, they replaced their inventory whilst you were figuring out your mistake and now they have additional stock which may take up more space. It's a hard lesson to learn, and with the efficiency of on-line ordering, it's a lesson many are exposed to [hopefully not a second time].

I know this isn't the sympathy you may be looking for, but it looks like you might be better off listing it in the classifieds as opposed to returning it.

-jeffrey
crushie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always check out shipping costs as well as return policies before you buy. If a vendor has all the add ons you speak of avoid them. Being in the knife you should also make sure your order is shipped usps only if buying stateside.
Do not use a courier company as their fee's are very costly. Try to use cip1 as there are no shipping charges on orders of $100 +.
Lastly, if at all possible refurbish your old parts as most replacement parts are made in china and of very poor quality in comparison to factory items. Very Happy
benrusso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the fees as well, but there has to be an acceptable limit. This leads me to wonder if the concept of customer loyalty exists anymore. Newbie or not, someone is bound to make a mistake and get penalized for it - but is being penalized really effective if you're trying to retain a customer? Especially in this market, where VW'ers are more than likely going to form bonds with whatever dealers they can find.

I also agree that a shop will experience a loss on returned products. But again, this type of per-item mentality is killing the small business market. The shop will be fine for the most part - the amount of parts I will personally be ordering will far outweigh the nuisance of my one returned part, nevermind the amount of potential business that's out there to blanket any per-item expenses.

Simply put, paying upwards of $16 in penalties on a small $60 part is not cool, especially if I'm trying to exchange for another part/sale.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a pretty relaxed policy on re-stocking fees. if the customer covers the return shipping on an item that's ordered by mistake, we'd normally just credit the full amount of the part towards a replacement part. a bigger company than germansupply probably has more compelling reasons to charge restocking fees, they have to push more paper to put the part back into inventory etc. so there's a reason for the restocking charge but i don't like them. we have a disclaimer in our terms & conditions that allows us to charge a fee but in practice i can't recall ever charging a re-stocking fee. charging re-stocking is not a good way to build a loyal customer. on the return shipping being less than shipping you paid upon ordering, this is to be expected. there has to be a portion of the shipping charge you paid that goes towards packing materials and time. the most common complaint we get from customers is that our shipping rates are too high, and yet we consistently lose a few percent on shipping costs every week. shipping is expensive and i have failed to figure how companies are able to offer 'free shipping'. free doesn't exist.

just a thought - have you thought of taking the rollers off the LH door roller to use on your old RH slider? it's the rollers that usually go bad, not the bracket itself. no idea of they even fit.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, have you called them and explained the situation? Who knows, they might waive the fees. You'll probably still need to pay the shipping fees, but that's fair.

Scott has a good idea, maybe the rollers are interchangeable, a little effort might save you a wad of cash. Also a plug for German Supply, I picked up one of their fuel line replacement kits for my '79. I know I probably could have pieced it together by myself but having it all done for me was really nice [and the proper hose clamps as well was a bonus!]. Also their diagram came in handy big time!

Thanks Scott!

-jeffrey
benrusso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback/arguments. I'm really just being a hot-head about it.

I've emailed the shop to explain the situation, but their site seems clear about there being no exceptions etc. We'll see.

Re the part itself: I need the full assembly. The bottom roller on my bus is chopped off completely - clean break, likely from being dropped head-on. (No, I didn't... It's how I bought it! Razz )

I checked out German Supply. I like seeing dealers involved. No luck on the part, though.

I'm currently looking at cip1.ca. Their free shipping doesn't apply to the NWT. That's not unusual...
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All due respect, e-mails are not very personal, no matter how manny frownie faces you use. I bet you would have a better chance of them making a deal with you if you actually called them and ask for a supervisor or someone else in charge.

-jeffrey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: