Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My cat died.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the good point, "You now have a rattle"
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
Look at the good point, "You now have a rattle"

When first completed the van drove well with no funny noises.

Then we noticed a rattle. That was the exhaust touching some sheet metal.

Then I heard a rattle a certain rpms. I ignored it. Later by tapping and listening I determined it must be the cat. That was a good 6 months ago.

Then one day it rattled while at idle, but went away while driving. I got a few miles and it drove bad up a slight hill. I drove home and parked.

Now it drives well again.

No rattle....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is people compare the performance of their half blocked twenty year old cat to the evacuated case and say there is a huge power increase. I have compared a good cat back to back with an empty case and there is minimal power increase.
Cessnajon, its not so much about the quantity of exhaust fumes its about reducing the harmful ones - oxides of nitrogen, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<The problem is people compare the performance of their half blocked twenty year old cat to the evacuated case and say there is a huge power increase.>>>

Really?
Try this and report back how well your Van runs , both ways.

Stuff a potato in your tail pipe--with the empty cat attached.
Go for a ride.
See how much power you have.

Then yank it out, go for the same ride & report back on the minimal power difference.

The problem really is --how that stone stuff's itself into the outlet of the converter, or gets hung up in the muffler.

If it's sideways and totally blocking the outlet , your test was not including this scenario.
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry you are saying exactly the same thing I am. If the monolith is broken down and blocking the hole you will not have a well running engine and this is no basis for comparison.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't seem to read that way--
You tested the van with a loaded & an unloaded converter & didn't see much of a power increase.

This in itself can only mean one of 27 different things, excluding the Black Monolith.

If you didn't see / feel much of anything, I would have to say your engine didn't have much compression in the first place for a plugged cat or muffler to be limiting performance.
This is what it sounds like to me anyway--
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is a low mile Mv in great condition. I have seen cats removed from other makes and models of cars and substituted with a straight pipe, all drivers have said the same thing post doing this - no point. It might be a couple of hp at most. If you have made no additional mods to the engine that require increased flow there is little benifit to gutting over a new cat. If you want to save cash, don't give a s@#t about the enviroment or just want the easy way out take to it with a crow bar, but don't expect a fire breathing vanagon.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to develop a little more on this theory--

If every engine management system in the vehicle is cattie wompus--forget it.
There will be no power gains to be felt in the seat of your britches with a opened up converter.
However, if everything is up to snuff, and dialed in, you will feel big difference removing that hot potato outa the tail pipe.

Look, your only talking about a 95 horse, push rod engine here,
nothing exotic at all.
If you reaped a couple of more horses by unplugging the converter, it would be like being on the Obama entitlement plan--free HP.

What I am saying to you in essence is, every electrical engine management system component was changed on my 2.1, excluding the ECU.
( what I knew about anyway )
The engine ran good, but was a slob on gas, and had no Umph--

I asked, & asked some more, the allegid guru's on the vanagon.com list.
Replace, replace , replace.
Nada, Nada, Nada.

I was at wits end.

I replaced everything---
Except the TPS (not one of them in months even brought this up)---
It was so far outa wack I didn't know how the Van was running.
I found it totally by accident & replaced it & the operating cam, & adjusted it properly.

Bingo--no burnt, wet eye's when I walked past the tail pipe.

Then--a week or so later I see my tail pipe waving at me as I walked outa the post office--shit.
I yanked the whole converter to tail pipe assembly.
The gasket was weeping a little at the union pipe to the converter.

I split everything apart---all new gaskest & fastener's from the front of the converter to the tail pipe.
And I sure don't know why I did this--but just for the hell of it I stuck my drop cord to the outlet of the converter.
Guess what?
No Light passing through it.
What?
The other end was jammed so tight with busted pieces of
converter stone I was amazed the engine ran at all.
It was in the muffler too.

The van--all 95 HP of it is now actually pushing it down the road too.
It's not being 3/4's held up in the exhaust system--especially with an empty converter.
I'm getting everything that the engine was designed to put to the wheels--nothing lost in fighting to get the exhaust outa the tail pipe.

PTL,Amen and Haleluija !!

So, what your saying is there is no benifit of a free flowing exhaust?

I think so---
No--I know so.

And in no way shape or form am I talking about 6.0 Holden performance---
I know much better than that.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please people, gutting it to get home, or buy some time - fine, but replace it! A new cat is $120 - less than a few tanks of gas - do me, and the environment a favor - please Smile And a new cat is not restricting your 95 HP WBX'er - no how, no way.

Even the high-flow cats for the V8 boys that are are more a marketing success than a HP success in most cases. While certain application might see a slight gain, I have seen at least one automag build with dyno results that showed little to no gain with the cat removed.

Another on Civic with a high flow cat test "Apparently, the metallic core unit does indeed flow slightly better than the ceramic unit. But when we say slight, we mean slight. The metallic core cat netted us a 1hp gain (to 151hp) and no increase in torque"
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
boof1306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, again you are saying what I am saying. You had a stuffed cat, you unblocked it and this difference was night and day. I get it and I agree. But some people seem to be debating the merit of new cat vs gutted cat. This is where I am saying the difference is minimal on a stock factory efi engine. Just to confuse matters, if you want to talk about restrictions, take a look at the syncro dust bowl filter and the genuine mufflers.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: cat Reply with quote

If you want more then the EJ-22 go bigger ! Go frankensuby, or better yet go H-6 .
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go LS-7 and be all done with the lack of power forever.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question...
How did you get the cat material out of the chamber? Seems pretty solid and not a substance one would want to breathe in.
Cheers,
Jeffery

(Westfalia travel/camping videos at YouTube link below)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Please people, gutting it to get home, or buy some time - fine, but replace it! A new cat is $120 - less than a few tanks of gas - do me, and the environment a favor - please Smile And a new cat is not restricting your 95 HP WBX'er - no how, no way.

Even the high-flow cats for the V8 boys that are are more a marketing success than a HP success in most cases. While certain application might see a slight gain, I have seen at least one automag build with dyno results that showed little to no gain with the cat "

Depends on he application, and what else was done on those v8s. Just swapping out a cat probably isn't going to be an appreciable gain. Many who do are swapping out a worn out, half clogged cat from running too rich and having their foot on it constantly anyway. They aren't properly sizing the complete exhaust, nor the other components in the exhaust.

Not saying its all the motor heads out there doing it, just observed it enough. My cats will stay in the V8 as the S420's system is so touchy-feely anyway but the resonators will go by way of the dodo when they rust through this year.

As for the WBX, if a 4 or 5% gain occurs from swapping out a good cat for a straight pipe I would be very surprised.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
How did you get the cat material out of the chamber?

I used a pointy metal pry bar.

I held it over a container.

I kept dropping the pointy end in.

Do that a bunch of times.

Some people use an air chisel.

I only had a few chunks left so it went fast.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must opine on several of the above mentioned posts.

I know of not one guy around here who has built any kind of performance hot rod that is running a converter for any kind of reasons mentioned above.
Zero.

They restrict exhaust flow--period.
Why in the heck would anyone build a 5--600 hp car, van, whatever, have an exhaust built that will efficinatly scavange the exhaust at the right time out & away from the combustion chamber's as fast as it can--impede this process with a converter?

Maybe on the left coast this may apply--
Not here, or anywhere I can think of other than the land of strange & odd.

This all does not apply where normal happens.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that was part of my point but I inaptly made it after a couple glasses of port last night. Building a 5-600 hp car and having 'an exhaust built' - which would infer considerations to optimize the pressures for filling and purging of the cylinders.

Not just swapping the cat for a straight pipe. The stock system of the modern automobile is made for noise suppression as well as for emissions reduction, so a simple swap of a good cat for a straight pipe is not going to make much difference other than the sound profile.

Building a system for a V8 that is not stock in order to optimize for performance would likely include, but not limited to proper sized header tubes into a correct length collector, most likely a dual exhaust profile probably containing a crossover pipe, high flow muffler (if on road use) and correctly sized pipes. There is no generic setup that can be made for all cars, they are too different. The exhaust guys who live and breath (pun intended) this stuff daily don't agree across the board.

Even the BMW M3 has a dual exhaust with its inline 6, high velocity - high flow exhaust with cats. Other considerations just need to be made in the modeling of the exhaust profile for a cat, but most opt not to do it because common practice is not to. Those things will change at some point, whether by preference due to increased knowledge on the subject, or government mandate. Taboo technology now.

Fuel injection was the taboo technology at one point .

A long and drawn out over caffeinated babbling to get to the point; pulling a cat from a 90 hp 25 year old van will probably seem like a boost as the cat was most likely half clogged anyway, but the design of the system with all its bends and technology limits probably wont make any appreciable gains.

Just my opinion
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chef - you got it on the customized V8 exhaust. On the old 70-80's v8 cars, pulling cats surely helped, now so much now, they have some impressive high power cars (even Cadillacs!) - messing with the exhaust on those can actually cause loss of power.

Back to the WBX'er
- I'm going to guess I'm the only one here that went from a gutted cat to a good one - just this summer - guess what? No difference. I wish I had run 0-60 times before and after, but I did not even know the old cat was essentially empty. And even if you got a gain, what are we talking .1 or .2 seconds off a 25 second 0-60 time? Do our kids a favor - run a good cat!

You want to see restriction in your exhaust - got the Danish replacement pipes every vendor sells ? Evil or Very Mad see this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362495&highlight=exhaust
excerpt -
vanagonjr wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pipe to pipe juntion

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I must opine on several of the above mentioned posts.

I know of not one guy around here who has built any kind of performance hot rod that is running a converter for any kind of reasons mentioned above.
Zero.

They restrict exhaust flow--period.
Why in the heck would anyone build a 5--600 hp car, van, whatever, have an exhaust built that will efficinatly scavange the exhaust at the right time out & away from the combustion chamber's as fast as it can--impede this process with a converter?

Maybe on the left coast this may apply--
Not here, or anywhere I can think of other than the land of strange & odd.

This all does not apply where normal happens.

Oh lord.
Comparing 1/4 miler V8s to breadbox 2.1s, now?
Opine away.
But when you take anything to the absurd extreme the "rule" will fail.

Want proof?
Here's your proof.
Take your Vanagon with a clear and properly funcitoning cat of newer vintage and put it on a dyno. Record results.
Remove the cat AND muffler.. and record your results.
Same day, same temps, etc.

Please provide those numbers.

Without them.. it is just more "opining"...

Now my turn.. I "opine",.. that in a blind test, NO ONE on this board could tell by seat o-the-pants driving the difference between a new high flow cat and none at all.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Brianfromutah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now my turn.. I "opine",.. that in a blind test, NO ONE on this board could tell by seat o-the-pants driving the difference between a new high flow cat and none at all.

Amen to that!
Now here is a question:

do you think running a stock 2.1 cat with a 2.5l subaru engine would create a noticeable HP drop?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: