Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Frame Paint
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Seat Frame Paint Reply with quote

What kind of paint is best for the seat frames? I have some Dupli-Color Acrylic lacquer in a rattle can. Is that sufficient or should I use acrylic enamel with hardener or other suggestions? Thanks as always...
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Frame Paint Reply with quote

JeffRens wrote:
What kind of paint is best for the seat frames? I have some Dupli-Color Acrylic lacquer in a rattle can. Is that sufficient or should I use acrylic enamel with hardener or other suggestions? Thanks as always...

There have been a ton of threads about paint for seat frames, shifter, e-brake, column, etc, and everyone has a different opinion.
I will tell you what I used. After sand blasting my frames, adding primer, and sanding, I shot them with Krylon Almond. I was told a ton of years ago by Koch, after he restored my steering wheel, that the almond was a dead match to his wheel. He was right, thats what I used, and it has heald up great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Krylon almond too. Its all about the prep. They don't get hammered with as much UV rays so I think rattle can is the way to go. Plus then you can touch up easily down the road.

If you have chips in your steering wheel Krylon almond is a dead match for that too if you just needed to touch up a few small areas.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my seat frames... which I just did a few weeks ago...

If you have the luxury of being able to sandblast them squeaky clean I used epoxy alone, it is one tough finish you would be hard pressed to even chisel off. I've noticed though, on the '66 my son did where he used rattle can epoxies over other prepped painted surfaces the epoxy does not bite as well as it does to a clean rough sandblasted surface and will flake off in a short amount of time.

Unfortunately for my seat frames I just used black as I could not find an Almond type color in epoxy... it was either black or off-white as all of the light tinted colors were 'out of stock' when I went looking for it. And since my car is black I just used black as well.

If sandblasting is not an option then stripping as best as possible and then priming and painting with an acrylic for the best result and be sure to use some good prep/degreaer all along the track slides. And yes that krylon almond is nearly a perfect dead match to the original color.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Frame Paint Reply with quote

What do you think would be the going cost to sandblast 2 front lowback seats and the rear seat bottom and back? I'd have them all stripped of material and padding ahead of time, Thanks.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Frame Paint Reply with quote

That depends on who you know. I had both front seat frames and springs blasted and powder coated for $50, but I have a good connection.

Just blasting them should be $25-50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Frame Paint Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
That depends on who you know. I had both front seat frames and springs blasted and powder coated for $50, but I have a good connection.

Just blasting them should be $25-50

Nice, yea that's cheap. I'll have to do some calling around to see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: