Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

After digging through 50+ search threads, I could not find information on this.

I had a miserable time replacing my accelerator cable after an engine R&R this weekend, and I think I found out why. In the center of this picture, there is a metal guide tube for the cable that goes through the fan shroud and allows the cable to be pushed through to the carb linkage:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(pic stolen from desertbusman's gallery page)

Is this standard on any engine? An aftermarket part? After fighting with the cable through the firewall grommet trying to fish it blindly through the shroud, I stuck a bendy straw through my fan shroud and had a buddy push the cable through. (It worked GREAT!) But I'm worried that the cable is rubbing on the shroud and it may break soon. I can't image that everyone replaces their cable by getting lucky threading it through the black depths of the fan shroud… Is this a stock part, or does everybody else just let it rub?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Is this a stock part, or does everybody else just let it rub?

Yes, it's a very stock part. On T-1's bugs and buses. Prevents air leaks but mainly a shroud exit guide so the cable doesn't saw a slot in the shroud. I think it might be P/N 113-721-551.

Now the rest of the story- Between where that protrudes forward thru the front tin and the integral steel cable tube exiting the rear of the chassis is another item. A flex tube just like the clutch Bowden tube except smaller diameter for the throttle cable. It slips on at both ends. So what that means is the cable is fully enclosed in a guide all the way until it exits the shroud in front of the carb.
Off hand I don't see it listed. Our amazing Karl of past fame is whom I got mine from. As far as the tube thru the shroud about every supplier should have them.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put that drinking straw in place as a temporary guide, and I'll get to ordering the tube tomorrow! Thanks AGAIN Smile

EDIT: after all my samba searching, a google search ended up with the prize:

http://www.vw-resource.com/accelerator_cable.html

Part number (according to AutohausAZ) shows: 043-129-893
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
... I can't image that everyone replaces their cable by getting lucky threading it through the black depths of the fan shroud ...

When replacing a clutch or throttle cable I tie a length of stout string to the end of the old cable and use that as bread crumbs to mark the path and to pull the new cable through. I don't think I have any grommets or covers on my throttle cable tube and it has been held in place by hose clamps for thirty years.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
I don't think I have any grommets or covers on my throttle cable tube and it has been held in place by hose clamps for thirty years.

Aloha
tp

Shocked
That makes me feel better about using a bendy-straw!

I got the cable through with no problem, thanks to the 50+ threads here about that Cool
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
I don't think I have any grommets or covers on my throttle cable tube and it has been held in place by hose clamps for thirty years.

Aloha
tp

Shocked
That makes me feel better about using a bendy-straw!

I got the cable through with no problem, thanks to the 50+ threads here about that Cool

Until you get the proper part you might consider a short piece of copper tubing and hose clamps. It will be a bit loose in the shroud and the play will prevent wear on the cable.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

Until you get the proper part you might consider a short piece of copper tubing and hose clamps. It will be a bit loose in the shroud and the play will prevent wear on the cable.

Aloha
tp

That sounds like a better idea. On Rob and Dave's page, they tried JB welding the tube into place, but found out that VW designed it to ride loose. That way when the engine twists and turns itself through heavy acceleration, the guide tube can follow the cable and self-adjust. When Rob/Dave JB welded the tube in, it lost that flexibility and rubbed more. I think it's also nice to have it loose so the cable can move slightly when the throttle arm makes its circumference around the throttle shaft.

my $.02…
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rigid tube thru the front tin and fan shroud is # 043-129-893 @ BAP, EMPI, Chirco and BusBoys. Some places list it as 111-129-894. Most places call it a Throttle Cable Tube and some call it an Accelerator Cable Guide.

You can see in my pic how I use a little fuel line clamp to hold it in position to keep it from walking to the rear. And I also put a spare rubber grommet on it to make doing the clamp a bit easier.

Now the Flex Cable Guide is more tricky to find. I don't know the P/N. All the suppliers show a picture of the ones used on bugs. And the bus one is identical except evidently a different length. You can get along without it for a while but keep it in mind. It so much better guides the cable into the front of the shroud cable tube, and keeps the greased cable free of dirt.
The ends look like this-

I lost mine, couldn't find info on a replacement, and asked the Samba's Karl. He knew what they are and sent me one. Then later found my lost one but you can't have it Wink

Another tio- Once you get the guide tube you can gently bend it in a big curvature to best suit the exit in front of the carb to reduce wear. Liberally greas it. My hose clamp and the rubber washer hold it all the way forward so it doesn't move. Next time you talk to Rob & Dave tell them that they need new trans and engine mounts to keep their engine from flopping around Rolling Eyes
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most hardware stores that have plumbing supplies sell a stiff milky white plastic tubing by the foot or short roll, it's similar to PEX but smaller diameter for icemakers, etc.. There's 2 sizes and I always get the wrong one when shopping by eyeball but one size is a perfect slip fit over the body tube and shroud guide (3/8" I think), it's slippery like Nylon and replaces the flex tube perfectly. Having the tube in place makes cable changes effortless as you just shove it in from the front and it magically emerges at the carb, no fising around over the transmission.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has happened to the purity and sanctity of this forum?
DBM and busdaddy are suggesting hacks.
This is not in the Bentley.

Aloha
tp
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

Aloha
tp

Because you can't get that tube anymore so a replacement has to be found I have been pulling those tubes from bus's when I find them they are missing in alot of them nice to here about something that will work in its place.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Aloha
tp

Because you can't get that tube anymore so a replacement has to be found I have been pulling those tubes from bus's when I find them they are missing in alot of them nice to here about something that will work in its place.

Is the accelerator cable tube frome the body to the engine for a 1970 bus unobtantuim or Am I not searching correctly? Seems would be simple part. But I cannot find
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Is the accelerator cable tube frome the body to the engine for a 1970 bus unobtantuim or Am I not searching correctly? Seems would be simple part. But I cannot find

Those tubes have been NLA for a while. I suggest lawn mower or tractor throttle cable tubing; bike brake or derailleur cable is usually too small inside.

Bug is a few inches shorter than bus, I think, so swapping doesn't usually work either.

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

113-129-893a
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:

I think it's highly questionable if any such VW part ever existed. There's no mention that I know of in any VW parts list or illustration I've seen.
The cable seems to be in a very protected spot up there above the trans. I've never seen so much as a drop of water or dirt on that cable
up there, and I drive around in a place sometimes called Rain City.

They've been found on some busses, but I think it likely it's because some P.O. put it there, perhaps using the VW parts used on other vehicle types,
such as the 113-721-551 (600 mm) or 131-721-551 (610 mm). Both those conduits are being sold at various VW parts suppliers.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

they exist both my bus's ( 70 and 71) I have had over 20 of them and most all had them I believe the ones that didn't people removed them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

my 1971 had one of the bicycle cable type outer housings. It also had the tube that I put in a part number for. My 1977 has one but it is a type 4 engine. Took me 1 minute to find either early part in the fiche. What is up with y'all? New Year blues?????

Hey BigBore - really nice to see you posting again.

113-129-893a

211-721-551 A
https://evamclassic.com/products/view/gaskabel-bui...-721-551-A

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

I was looking for the long one not the short one through the engine.

That second picture above is the item

Took a suggestion above and found some 1/2 “ by 3/8” ID tubing in my bin. fit perfect at the engine and body ends. Put a little wire on To stiffen it up . Went with 22” will slip in both ends tight.

bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

hi Steve ya still breathing despite myself just alot medical problems. still doing tranys I just finished two (at the same time) vanagon syncro's that paid nice so I can take some down time.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable guide tube through T1 fan shroud Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
hi Steve ya still breathing despite myself just alot medical problems. still doing tranys I just finished two (at the same time) vanagon syncro's that paid nice so I can take some down time.

cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: