Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strut removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navydiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Strut removal Reply with quote

Does anyone know where there are instructions on how to remove the struts? I amtaking mine out of my 73 so I can replace the springs. I just want to make sure I do everything correctly instead of just starting to take nuts and bolts off. Any help would be appreciated.

Greg
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guy,
Do some searches on how to take the strus off, or get the manual. There is a series on www.vwtrendsweb.com that covered pulling the struts last month I think. It is important to do this right, as those suckers are under pressure, and can do some serious damage when they let go.

Good Luck,
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you only changing the springs? nothing else... here is how you can do it ( and how i do it to change the strut cartridges too if needed) without taking the whole assembly off the car...

all you need is a spring compressor tool ( they come in several styles)

undo the 3 13mm nuts inside the trunk and "pop " the assmebly down inside/under the fender ( if you leave the wheel on the weight helps you out) get a towel or rags and lay them over the studs on the upper strut bearing piece ( this protects the fender/ paint) and then push down and pull out to get the strut assembly to clear the lip of the fender...

now you can easily attach the spring compresser, compress the spring and NOW take the nut off the strut cartridge to reomove the upper spring/ strut bearing piece and then the spring...

then the collar screw on the tube to get to the strut cartridge out if you want to check them and or change them...

re assemble in reverse and your done...

now if you changing to lowered strut tubes then you need to separate the asssemblies at the ball joint/ control arm and take more stuff apart.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you pick a Haynes, Chilton or Bentley shop manual they have very detailed instructions and tools needed to remove the struts. The Haynes manual is very inexpensive and sells for about $15.00. So that would be your best bet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: