Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded on the way to ALASKA!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
what kind of noise? engine? suspension?

Thanks. It sounds like a wheel speed light grinding that could almost be a brake backing plate (but it's not)

The noise only happens when it is under power and is most noticeable at slow speeds at the start of each gear.

My inclination was CV joints, throw out bearing or transmission but the mechanic thought the noise was coming from the front end.

I can't think of a noise that would be only heard under power from the front end.

I took the front brakes off and confirmed that the pistons are retracting correctly in the calipers and the wheels is moving freely when off the ground.

thoughts?
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

The front end lifts slightly when under power, the rear suspension moves forward a hair as well, also the front of the transmission lifts and the rear of the engine drops and the whole unit twists CCW, anything that may be touching when moved that isn't when static?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

I am on the other side of the country with obligations....my time is more valuable to me than anyone here could imagine. like I said, don't rule me out.

that said, if you did it in PA, NY, DC etc I wonder who would turn up then. it's a matter of convenience that the majority of you are on that coast. I'd much rather spend the money on a hooker that gave me gonorrhea. ...

I have similar logistics. I would like to be a fly on the wall at the meet up, but I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I would be amenable to a "go fund my airline ticket".

Here's some info for you Skills
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gonorrhea/basics/prevention/con-20020917

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
My inclination was CV joints, throw out bearing or transmission but the mechanic thought the noise was coming from the front end.

Can you coast it down a decent hill in neutral, without the engine running? The CV joints would speak up then and your ambient noise level would be reduced. The effect of power may simply exaggerate an existing noise.

Also consider using a buddy to listen to the vehicle externally as you drive by. That may help pinpoint front or rear end noise.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

So now you've seen Alaska. When will the lucky person be announced that wins the Kombi? Will you make a video of the drawing? What on Earth is in Mexico that is so important. Legal stuff? Surf? Food? Cheap beer? Etc.
you should probably follow the coast from Oregon down. And perhaps loop the Olympic Peninsula too.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Outer bearing (front end) check is in order, especially if you have done a recent replacement with a Chinese bearing, they only go 8-10K miles. Sometimes dry torsion leaves can make strange noises, make sure your beam is well greased, I would make sure no water pockets have been trapped in there. Maybe recording and posting the noise would help if your equipment allows for that.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

This spring with my 71 westy I had a bad scraping sound it was coming from the rear it took me a few days to fine it I thought it was a bad rubber on the spring plate I took it apart and a small rock fell out that all it was and it sounded REAL bad.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Meet up 20th September, Seattle if you want.

Ben, you still on for this. My schedule is locked and I'm good to go. I'll drive up from Portland the 20th. Notcboy, I'm off the 21st too Wink Ronin10 find a spot with lots of room and good suds. Any PDX boys want to Carabus up?
Skills I'll pick you up at the airport Wink Bigbore did you get my donation? Very Happy We might need to get Stuart out of retirement for the night Think

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

Ben, you still on for this. My schedule is locked and I'm good to go. I'll drive up from Portland the 20th. Notcboy, I'm off the 21st too Wink Ronin10 find a spot with lots of room and good suds. Any PDX boys want to Carabus up?
Skills I'll pick you up at the airport Wink Bigbore did you get my donation? Very Happy We might need to get Stuart out of retirement for the night Think

Well if hes not then we do a GSBG meet Cool

Bound to have some kind of fun.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

I had a scraping sound from the rear only noticeable under certain conditions like after letting off the gas, it was because my rear axle nut was to loose.. This could very well be your issue since you just did your bearings in Anchorage, they require a retorque or at least a check after driving a few hundred miles.. Although my noise didn't show for 20000 miles, it went away after retorque for the drivers side.

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Outer bearing (front end) check is in order, especially if you have done a recent replacement with a Chinese bearing, they only go 8-10K miles. Sometimes dry torsion leaves can make strange noises, make sure your beam is well greased, I would make sure no water pockets have been trapped in there. Maybe recording and posting the noise would help if your equipment allows for that.

8-10k That's criminal! No noise coming from the wheels when coasting though and only audible at low speed.

RONIN10 wrote:

Can you coast it down a decent hill in neutral, without the engine running? The CV joints would speak up then and your ambient noise level would be reduced. The effect of power may simply exaggerate an existing noise.

Also consider using a buddy to listen to the vehicle externally as you drive by. That may help pinpoint front or rear end noise.

Thanks I tried as you suggested but with someone hanging off the back but they were not able to tell if the noise was coming from either side unfortunately. Doesn't seem to be happening when coasting so perhaps not the CV joints then?

DiVo wrote:
I had a scraping sound from the rear only noticeable under certain conditions like after letting off the gas, it was because my rear axle nut was to loose.. This could very well be your issue since you just did your bearings in Anchorage, they require a retorque or at least a check after driving a few hundred miles.. Although my noise didn't show for 20000 miles, it went away after retorque for the drivers side.

Worth a check, although the nut has a cotter pin in it so it shouldn't that stop it from coming lose?

Arrow

When I was with Ralfy in Anchorage working on the rear breaks, bearing housing and bearings he mentioned that the rear spring plate bushing was probably responsible for the bad camber on the rear tires.

Since leaving Anchorage we've burnt through a tire pretty quickly, down to the canvas. Couldn't find a R14 195 8 Ply tire anywhere, only a second hand 4 ply. I suspect that this tire isn't going to last long (it's a de-studded winter tire too) but now in Whitehorse, YT and can't find a decent tire here either.

Not sure if the camber is related to the scraping noise that we are troubleshooting but thought it would be worth a mention.

Xevin wrote:
So now you've seen Alaska. When will the lucky person be announced that wins the Kombi? Will you make a video of the drawing? What on Earth is in Mexico that is so important. Legal stuff? Surf? Food? Cheap beer? Etc.
you should probably follow the coast from Oregon down. And perhaps loop the Olympic Peninsula too.

Yes we will make a video of it. Probably be out early October. We'll start counting up the list and preparing the draw in October.
Have to go to Mex, mainly to comply with visa restrictions. Need to stay fairly local as it's probable (but not guaranteed) that someone in north america will win the Kombi.

Xevin wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

Ben, you still on for this. My schedule is locked and I'm good to go.

We'll be there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

5 days 5000 kms later, 1 oil change, (high zinc formula - runs much quieter) 2 mechanics for a second opinions on that noise.

I think I'm chasing a couple of issues. The front end noise has gone so was probably dirt or rock.

There is now a intermittent 2000rpm noise coming from either the fan or the alternator. probably the bearing. Strangely heard a rodant climbing into the engine whilst it was warm on a very cold night. Confused Checked out the fan with a scope cam to see if that did any damage. can't see any cracks.

Now in mid BC, Canada headed to the island to do some work on it. Not worried, just keeping you updated.

Happy Travels
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Right on !!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Ben, Don't forget the big boy knickers Laughing it should be a civil non personal goof, at least before my 6th pint Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...8d3785d91e

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Cool watch the "Trump" roast on youtube with Obama- what a hoot- doubt your gathering will be that rough.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Ahhh Ben? You out there? Is this thing working? Is this thing on?

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Well we got one more. Xatie is going to come out for this huge event. Dancing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

Maybe this Cool

Link

One can dream.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

So are we meeting on Tuesday? Where and when?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded on the way to ALASKA! Reply with quote

6:00ish or 18:00

https://www.google.com/search?q=stellar+pizza+seat...ent=safari

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126, 127  Next
Jump to:
Page 125 of 127

Jump to: