Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro - to lift or not to lift, that is the question.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good suspension package to consider...

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1795_1236/trail_master_syncro_suspension_kit_by_maas.html

Kirk from Northwesty just installed this setup on his rig so he could give you his opinion.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
what is your current "raised" ride height? ride height is wheel center to fender lip

Kinda reluctant to highjack this thread to something else but if it helps anyone -- Using your criteria and method above ...

Westy Syn -- Nokian 205x65R15 tires -- @ 18.25 "
Tintop Syn -- Nokian 205x65R16 tires -- @18.75"

Sinka Syn (stock suspension) -- BFG 27x8.5x14 -- @18.75"

-----

Measuring height from ground to roof top just behind passenger door ...

Westy (using roof rather than poptop) @ 1.25" higher than sinka.
Tintop @ 1.75" higher than sinka.

I did all this at night in the freezing rain so I was motivated to move fast Wink

An aside ... when I put my 15"steels with BFG 75 sidewalls on the tintop sync. down at SdM one year (back when there was just one event) I felt a little 'tippy' laterally at that height doing more serious offroading.

Also .. years ago doing serious offroad in the Tillamook OHV in winter ... had 14" with 75 sidewall BFG's on the same tintop sync. ... never felt tippy ... quite comfortable but at times could have used more lift ... bottomed out several times.

So far ... have never bottomed out with 15" BFG 75 sidewalls on tintop sync. (upgraded susp) or the sinka sync. (stock susp). Biggest problem in both cases ... and this depends on one's set-up ... banging the hell out of the mufflers and cats in departures. But no damage except one repairable cracked cat once.

I believe there are other threads that dicker over all this so recommend we just use this info to munch on here.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brianfromutah wrote:
Quote:
Posted: Today 6:52 pm Post subject:
I just lifted my syncro westy with ome shocks with gowesty 2" lift springs. My og boge shocks were completely blown so I'm very happy I have new Ome shocks. As far as the lift, I really like the how it rides and especially the look.

do you mind posting your ride height? Did you have to change/add anything else (control arms, brake lines, spacers, ect...) Did the shop have any issue aligning it?

I didn't have to change anything, I did change the stainless braided break lines while I had the wheels off. I got lucky and I didn't even have to align it.

It lifted about 2-2.5 inches I wish I added the spacers in the rear. the front is little bit higher then the rear. I've had a lot of people notice right away this is a offroad vehicle since the lift.

stock with 225 75 16
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lifted with 225 75 16

another angle lifted with same tires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brianfromutah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for shocks.... Lots of folks love their OMEs, lots of folks say they are too stiff... I want sturdy... But not 'rattle my bones over every bump' sturdy.... What shock options are folks using... What of the fox shocks I see from GoWesty? They are kinda pricey, and i assumed for a more offroad purpose??

I am wondering the same thing. Anybody have any comments on the OEM replacement Sachs shocks?

Quote:
I didn't have to change anything, I did change the stainless braided break lines while I had the wheels off. I got lucky and I didn't even have to align it.

It lifted about 2-2.5 inches I wish I added the spacers in the rear. the front is little bit higher then the rear. I've had a lot of people notice right away this is a offroad vehicle since the lift.

I love the look! How do you know you didn't have to align it? Did you hook it up to an alignment machine? You could still be wearing out the inner side of your tires and still not have any pulling... what is your new ride height?(hub to fender)
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Kinda reluctant to highjack this thread

you have my permission to give ride height when you talk about lift Smile

> Westy Syn -- Nokian 205x65R15 tires -- @ 18.25 "

> Tintop Syn -- Nokian 205x65R16 tires -- @18.75"

> Sinka Syn (stock suspension) -- BFG 27x8.5x14 -- @18.75"

help me out the WestySyn is NOT lifted right? and rides at 18.25"

the TintopSyn is lifted 1.5" and ended up at 18.75??

the SinkaSyn is not lifted and is also at 18.75??

let me put it this way. IF your van is not at or above 19.5", I dont consider it significantly lifted.

> It lifted about 2-2.5 inches I wish I added the spacers in the rear.

You can still add the spacers in the rear, not a big job..

what ARE your ride heights, all 4 corners? You might need 2 shims on driver rear and one on passenger rear..

Its really really useful when you say you lifted 2", to give a number you ended up at.. PLEASE!

> What of the fox shocks I see from GoWesty

I have them, with GW +2 springs. I dont like that the warranty depends on GW repairing, they wont replace.. Yes they are for offroad, I would buy the Trailmaster System instead.

but I liked my OME shocks with old .org springs ride better than my GW setup, less body roll.

My Syncro Westy TDi, weighs over 5000 pounds, and has a motor and tire on the back that add 500 lbs over stock. Rear ride height is 21", with a 3" spacer on the driver rear, and a 2" spacer on passenger rear. See without spacers I would be at 19" or less, again, my heavy rig..

ps People with "stock" Syncros, including BrianfromUtah, could you post your current ride heights, all 4 corners, so we can begin to determine what "stock" is.

btw, tires do not matter for "ride height" (actually feder height) measurement. Tires do increase ground clearance.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No complaints.

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brianfromutah wrote:
Quote:
As for shocks.... Lots of folks love their OMEs, lots of folks say they are too stiff... I want sturdy... But not 'rattle my bones over every bump' sturdy.... What shock options are folks using... What of the fox shocks I see from GoWesty? They are kinda pricey, and i assumed for a more offroad purpose??

I am wondering the same thing. Anybody have any comments on the OEM replacement Sachs shocks?

Quote:

I love the look! How do you know you didn't have to align it? Did you hook it up to an alignment machine? You could still be wearing out the inner side of your tires and still not have any pulling... what is your new ride height?(hub to fender)

I didn't go to alignment shop yet because I'm replacing my steering rack. I'll go after that. But it seems to ride just as before.

1. front: center of the wheels to bottom of the lip 20"

2. rear: center of the wheels to bottom of the lip 19 half inches

By the way I love the way my OME with Gowesty 2"lift prings rides very smooth, when I go over speed bumps really fast, the rebound is a bit harsh but like everyone says there are no perfect fit. But this set up is perfect as it will get for my needs. By the way I got everything new for about $800 shopping around and being frugal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> 1. front: center of the wheels to bottom of the lip 20"

> 2. rear: center of the wheels to bottom of the lip 19 half inches

great details, thanks!
I see you have a rear mounted tire carrier, which explains the need for a shim in the rear

And when you shim the rear the front will drop a little from the pressure increase at the back.. should be just about perfect, maybe 20" rear, 19.75" front, from adding a single 1/2" shim, possibly only needed at the spare tire side, driver rear

note, changes to driver rear spring height, affects the passenger front, the force moves diagonally. You need to measure each corner, or you may end up with the driver front being taller ride height than passenger front, same in rear..

for example, you may need 2 shims driver rear, and one shim passenger rear, to make your front wheels match ride height to each other..

I dont expect an exact match rear to front, I actually like the rear 1/2" higher than the front.
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
No complaints.

What wheel/tire combo do you have on there?
Do you have the stock 2.1WBX?
Thanks,
D
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
help me out the WestySyn is NOT lifted right? and rides at 18.25" ... the TintopSyn is lifted 1.5" and ended up at 18.75??
the SinkaSyn is not lifted and is also at 18.75??

The westy and tintop syncros have the upgraded suspensions ... OME and either syncro.org or smallcar springs. The sinka syncro is stock - original shocks and springs and 14" wheels.

Jon_slider wrote:
let me put it this way. IF your van is not at or above 19.5", I dont consider it significantly lifted.

All I was looking for was ride comfort, stabilization in crosswinds and better clearance for backroading and light offroading. For serious offroading I usually put on the 15"/75 sidewall BFG's which raises my ground clearance even more.

Jon_slider wrote:
btw, tires do not matter for "ride height" (actually feder height) measurement. Tires do increase ground clearance.

Jon ... my impression on this thread is people are looking for a raised ground clearance with comfort and good handling and not get too tall. There are other threads that get into the science of serious offroading where tables of specs are analyzed. I've read them all and know you've been in the thick of that Wink

For the purposes here I'm presuming when someone says they lifted 2" after installing a stronger suspension and wheels/tires they mean ground clearance lift from where they were before, often (roughly) stock.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The westy and tintop syncros have the upgraded suspensions ... OME and either syncro.org or smallcar springs.

excellent info, so your vans have
18.25" ride height on a lifted westy syncro and
18.75" ride height on a lifted tin top syncro

and BFG 215x75x15 tires (27.8" diam), add 1" more ground clearance

A friend has a Syncro Westy with new GW +2 springs and OME shocks., his rear ride height is 19.5".

He has BFG 215x75x15 tires, and his ground clearance is 12".

I think a lifted syncro paired with 28" tires is a reasonable configuration, not extreme.

But it is certainly not for everybody. It costs in fuel mileage, and you need to buy a spare tire carrier too.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
excellent info, so your vans have
18.25" ride height on a lifted westy syncro and
18.75" ride height on a lifted tin top syncro

and BFG 215x75x15 tires (27.8" diam), add 1" more ground clearance

That is correct. For my variable needs I find that ideal. I presume the ride height difference between the westy and tintop syncros reflects the additional weight of the westy.

Jon_slider wrote:
I think a lifted syncro paired with 28" tires is a reasonable configuration, not extreme. But it is certainly not for everybody. It costs in fuel mileage, and you need to buy a spare tire carrier too.

They can also throw the speedometer off between 3 to 8 mph's depending on traveling speed. Returning from a syncro event at Hollister last spring wearing the taller BFG's ... was getting a lot of dirty looks by the cops ... realized I was going about 9 mph over the speed limit .... speed limit 70 ... westybob speedometer sez 72 .... westybob really going 79. Very Happy
Brianfromutah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westy syncro 2.5 suby engine stock springs/shocks (24 yr old)
RF 18 1/2
LF 18 1/4
RR 18 1/4
LR 18

sags 1/4 to the left and 1/4 inch in the rear.

I bought 2" GW springs but judging from what i have read so far anything over 19 1/2 ride height is no good without other mods. I would like to sit right at 19 1/2. seems like the GW springs lift it to about 20"

Original idea was much like deadsetmonkeys in the idea that the new springs would improve handling (at least a little over the 24 yr old sagging springs) also i love the look of the 2" lift, and i wanted it to be a bit more capable off road. I am now thinking smallcar springs with either new OEM or OME shocks. I also want the van to be able to drive across the country on the highway if needed. Small Car claims about a 19 1/2 inch ride height on a syncro westy with suby power. Seems to be a good compromise to me.

Anyone want to buy a set of brand new never used GW 2" lift springs?
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> and you need to buy a spare tire carrier too.
I'm sticking with a 14" rim on a Hankook using the clamshell. I only need a spare to get to the closest repair shop. At worst, I rotate the 14" to the rear because of the big brakes.
I run BFG A/T 215 75 16 on CLK's, no spacers.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't list that size BFG A/T.
The rim size isn't the issue but the overall diameter of the rim with tire is.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I'm sticking with a 14" rim on a Hankook using the clamshell.

> I run BFG A/T 215 75 16

It overheats the Viscous Coupler (about $1500 installed) if you run tires that are not the same size on a Syncro.

In your case, I think your spare is 2" smaller diameter.

IF you had a decoupler ($2000+ installed), you could run a mismatched spare. A decoupler costs more than a tire carrier ($600-$1100, plus install).

I dont recommend mismatched tires on a Syncro, my approach is to keep all 5 tires in rotation, including the spare.

One of the BEST reasons to get larger rims, is to fit a Big Brake Upgrade ($900 plus install)
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> I'm sticking with a 14" rim on a Hankook using the clamshell.

> I run BFG A/T 215 75 16

It overheats the Viscous Coupler (about $1500 installed) if you run tires that are not the same size on a Syncro.

In your case, I think your spare is 2" smaller diameter.

IF you had a decoupler ($2000+ installed), you could run a mismatched spare. A decoupler costs more than a tire carrier ($600-$1100, plus install).

I dont recommend mismatched tires on a Syncro, my approach is to keep all 5 tires in rotation, including the spare.

One of the BEST reasons to get larger rims, is to fit a Big Brake Upgrade ($900 plus install)

Again, I am using VC's big brake kit so the 14" will NEVER go on the front. How would having a slightly smaller OD tire on the rear damage my VC?
I'll go double check but 215/75/16 BFG A/T is the size...maybe a Canadian thing?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

IMHO the best reason to have bigger rims is the ability to run slightly lower profile tires that give the stock rolling diameter. This gives shorter sidewalls that flex less and give better cornering characteristics with a slightly firmer highway ride.
I run a configuration like that on my 2wd and it changed from a wallowing pig to a more nimble pig that can handle surprisingly well. Wink
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
How would having a slightly smaller OD tire on the rear damage my VC?

From the owner's manual under tires(page 116) Applies additionally to the syncro - "all four wheels on the vehicle must always have tires of the same size, construction and tread type so that the viscous coupling does not abnormally activate the front wheel drive. Different tires on the front or rear wheels exert additional stress on the drive train components, causing increased tire wear and impair vehicle control"
To figure out the rolling diameter difference of a 27" to 28" tire for example multiply by PI and you will find out that that one tire is traveling over 3" slower every rotation which is a significant amount.
You can get away with doing it for a short duration with a decoupler.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to lift or not to lift

go for 2" lift plus 28" tires if
1. You want Bigger Front Disk brakes
2. You have thousands of dollars to spend on rims, tires, springs, tire carrier.
3. You drive offroad and need more ground clearance
4. You don't mind losing 10% of your horsepower to taller tires, because you have a conversion motor.

not to lift
1. No need to buy spare tire carrier, no need to buy springs, no need to buy new wheels and tires.

If you want the "badass" look, put some 14" BFG AT tires on, and call it good. Everything else will stay the same, fits in the spare location, power and acceleration are stock, and chicks still won't look at your van, guys will.

===

> How would having a slightly smaller OD tire on the rear damage my VC?

slightly would be a couple millimeters, not a couple inches like you seem to have.. but, don't worry, if you don't get a flat, it won't matter Smile
IF you run a smaller tire on back, it engages the VC more, making it hotter, which can ruin it.
http://www.vanagon.com/syncros/faq/syncro-faq.htm
How does the Vanagon Syncro's viscous coupling work?

The viscous coupling is constructed of a series of metal plates. Half the plates, (plates 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) are connected to the input drive shaft coming froward from the transmission. The other half of the plates (plates 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) are connected to the front differential. These plates are enclosed in a chamber with a very unusual silicon fluid. When the rear wheels and front wheels are moving at the same speed, all the plates move at the same speed, nothing special happens, and little power is transmitted through the coupling. But, when the rear wheels begin to lose traction and spin, the plates connected to the driveshaft begin to spin faster than the plates connected to the front differential. This causes a shearing action in the silicon fluid, which almost instantly heats and thickens, becoming much more viscous. This now highly viscous fluid locks the two sets of plates together and power is transmitted to the front differential and thus the front wheels. VW says this happens as quickly as 1/4 turn of the spinning rear tire.

===
http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/vanagon/viscous_couplings_vanagon_syncro.htm

"As for the reason why the silicone in the viscous coupling gets too
stiff and starts causing trouble the people I asked unanimously
answered: to much strain. However, this is not referring to relentless
off road driving in groundless mud, but rather to small but permanent
differences in rotational speed between front and rear axle while doing
normal on road driving. These differences in rotational speed can be
caused by such things as unequal tire wear or different tire pressure.
Tire diameters should be the same within a 2 to 4 mm tolerance. Or, in
other words, if you're measuring the depths of the grooves in your
tires, the differences should not exceed 1 to 2 mm.

Thus people not caring tire pressure and tire wear, people having
mounted different tire brands on the front and rear axles, as well as
people never routinely using their spare tire so it gets worn roughly
the same way as the other tires are most probably ruining their viscous
coupling pretty fast."

===
Rotating Syncro tires

http://www.vanagon.com/syncros/technica/tire-rotation/index.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: